Genius begins great works; labour alone finishes them. Twente 2012-2013 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 17, 2012.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    After tonight I would even make a case for Depay over Schaken. Schaken is fine for a mid table eredivisie club. Him playing for Holland is bringing back the Denneboom days. And seeing Douglas dismissed for lacking football ability while Vlaar is a starter - teeheeeeeeeeee. I can only laugh.

I'm not irritated, I just wonder about what world you live in that lets you get away with stating opinions like that while still leaving you feel all superior.

ortevor repped this.
  2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Schaken had a good first half. With Douglas there is the risk of losing 0-1 as a result of a brainfart. Vlaar can't play football (just like Douglas) but is more dependable. Also is captain of his team and plays the teams you advertise as vital to have under your belt in European competition on weekly basis as he can find many of them in his own league.

No you are irritated. You want to sell people you can play with 11 people from Madagascar as mercenaries of your team and still be called the NT of Twente. I don't buy that nonsense and am of the opinion that you need to have own nurtured players from the region (Twente) to align yourself with what you advertise to be. Because you hold on something that is not the case, you make it about feeling A or B about something. I just have a different opinion and I also explain why.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No I'm not irritated. I seriously wonder if you're at all familiar with Dutch club culture. I don't know anyone who attaches anywhere near the importance to the things you find supremely important. Which is fine by me, different opinions are fine. I'm just trying to make clear to you that your reality is not a reality at the Dutch club level. What does irritate me is you singling out Twente. At Feyenoord Guidetti, who played for them nine months on a loan, got a hero's send off while their all time topscorer couldn't get a ticket for the game. I don't see you take issue with Feyenoord's authenticity though. I also don't hear you talk about Ajax contracting a bunch of substandard foreigners even though they allegedly have a brilliant youth academy. The bottom line is Twente is trying to get a maximum return out of its resources. If that can be done with homegrown youth, brilliant. If it can't, then we'll just have to find another way. What I get from you is that you'd rather see Twente make a massive contribution to Dutch youth development than see Twente do well. I can only hope that you realise that this is not a club supporter's priority. Just like Feyenoord fans didn't give a damn about Guidetti not being a homegrown, or in your words, 'authentic' player. He's still a Feyenoorder in their eyes. Funny how that works eh.

Can we at least agree that Van Gaal is not exactly consistent in his football purism. If he plays Schaken because he wants to stick to the traditional Dutch 4-3-3 then he should also find himself a typically Dutch central defender. And Vlaar, regardless of what you think of his defensive qualities, is not a typically Dutch central defender.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just wonder about what world you live in that lets you get away with stating opinions like that while still leaving you feel all superior. :) Seriously, I think you see yourself as speaking not only for all club supporters of Twente or the Netherlands, but actually the whole world. I am here to tell you that you don't.

Your examples indicate you have not understood the term authentic the way I have used it. I have also posted a stat at the end of last season pointing out Ajax used of all major championship winning clubs in Europe their own academy players most percentage wise. The new regime at that club is actually quite in line with how I see staying close to yourself. Feyenoord has now won 3 times the best academy award and have a 17 year old kid at midfield in Vilhena. The second Ola John showed intelligence (his first games were very blind for FC Twente), I have backed the kid up and I even went into a discussion with you, where I wanted him in the NT and you wanted to protect him. Damn right I get pissed when you seem to be careless about him when the club can do some strategic moves at the cost of him, then the club lying about it and you defending that crap, while being protective of him only months ago. Talking about sanctimonious.

The word authentic was only introduced with the discussion about Ola John and the lying of Munsterman a few weeks ago. Because you want to defend something that is in defendable IMO, people's thought process got further expanded.

I understand the mechanism how sharing experiences and successes together have a bonding effect :) , I just have higher norms for the claim people uphold of being the NT of a region. The Basks understand it at Bilbao though. It's also funny you are able to miss the daily comments Feyenoord fans make about player A or B being from their own academy. The extra pride fans feel in this regard is something you don't seem to understand or want to marginalize for whatever reason. Regardless however how Feyenoord fans feel, Twente fans feel or you feel, I have my own metric when it comes to this that stands apart from whoever feels about whatever. I think a club that does not play with their own nurtured players, gives a club a soul and makes it authentic. I think a lot of football is about local pride and then when it comes to the actual players in the field it stops to count? Not buying that lie, you like to tell yourself. That it is hard to live up to this norm is only an excuse. Pointing to others not doing it is also an excuse.

Van Gaal is playing provoking pressing in his own words. In that system you need fast counter weapons. Speed. You can say a lot of things of Schaken, but he does not lack speed. Vlaar is anti football, as is Douglas. They both don't belong in Dutch NT, but Vlaar has so far not made huge blunders and you always worry about Douglas doing something weird.

JC-14 repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would be interested in knowing who the bunch of substandard foreigners are and limit yourself to only the last three years of transfers when the ship was righted.

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Merlin Schutte might be worth keeping an eye on.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm giving you the Guidetti example to underscore that your average club supporter does not care about where their club heroes were born or whether they grew up in their own youth academy. Feyenoord fans showed more respect to Guidetti than to Van der Gijp. Yet here you are banging on about Twente lacking authenticity, whatever that means. And that wasn't even an attack on Feyenoord, by the way. I'm just trying to make clear to you that the players don't form the identity of the club. The supporters who are in it for the long run do.

And are you now seriously going to argue that Douglas lacks speed - give me half an hour to laugh at that whahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm just talking about last summer. Sana, Poulsen, Schone, Moisander. Are they anywhere near the quality of the players you've lost this summer? Van der Wiel, Vertonghen, Anita and Theo Janssen? I don't think so.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^ Couple of points, I do agree with Ms. Neeskens post about Guidetti and Douglas's speed. Guidetti was hailed as the next Pele at the recent Feyenoord/Ajax match despite playing less than one full season with the club. Douglas is definitely faster than any of the central defenders currently on the NT squad; this doesn't mean that he's a better football player.

With respect to the Ajax transfers, all four of them were brought in for explicit purposes and actually followed the Twente model of not overpaying. Sana has been on the Swedish NT for recent matches and has been playing. Schöne and Poulsen were free transfers and both are playing well for the team. Moisander was a cost effective replacement for Vertonghen until Denswil is ready to start. With respect to the four players you mention leaving the club, none are as good as Vertonghen but then nobody on the Twente squad is either. Anita made a bad career move and the club wanted to keep him (and they could have as he still had another year on his contract). Van der Wiel is not missed as van Rhijn is a better fullback. Janssen is past his peak as an everyday player and I suspect even Twente would have sought a replacement had he stayed. It's not a fair comparison and you know it.

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bad example. The example does not underscore this. The example maybe tells something about a boy who likes to party and is able to create an atmosphere where a stadium likes to join in accompanied with the music and likes to celebrate last season, where Feyenoord surprised and people felt hope for better times again. In his celebration he reconnected people with that feeling of last season. The van der Gijp incident turned out to be a misjudgement. A new employee, probably from Randstad or something, that filled in the job for the regular employee or old one, who handled it badly. In any case they messed up. If you like to interpreted the events the way you do, then it is an example that 100% pleads for my line of thinking. You introduce the example as if nothing is wrong with it. As if you can't distance yourself from a situation and say: something is not right here. My line of thinking clarifies where that sense comes from and I plead for a realignment with certain values that in the end lead to more authenticity. The example you bring forward in case you interpreted the events like you do, IMO, only screams for something I support. A good instrument by the way to get to know how people think about these matters is: communication. You listen to what they say and read what they wright. How you have been able to miss conversations from Feyenoord fans being proud of their players coming from their own academy is mind boggling. I also don't understand why you are afraid of noticing this.

Then this: you seem to look to marginalize what I deem important with the reactions and emotions from club going fans. For my argumentation it is not important how they look at it. It's my metric for running a club with authenticity. For somebody who says all the time she does not care what other people say, you seem to care a lot. You seem to think the whole validity of your point of view stands and falls from their approval.

So people from Twente can run a football club, can sing about the game, but can't actually play the game itself. Got it. Also makes sense. Now you mention this, I remember how my team always beat teams from Twente region with ease, if we played them at all. Often they were not even invited to national tournaments I played all over the country. They were not good enough.

Now take a breath and raise your level of communication again. You are not 5 years old, so don't act like one. Go back to the post and read it again. As a general rule of thump you can remember that whenever you start to process other people's words and reformulate it into your own words ... it's wrong. That is also the case this time. So pick up words like "counter weapon" and try to solve the big riddle I have left behind for you in my previous post. Good luck.

11. Ahh, Calimero again. It isnot us feeling superior, it is you projecting at regular intervals your inferiority feelings.
    Oh ...and the world we live in is called the real world, opposed to your make believe world.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've been at Twente training sessions. Douglas last season was the only one who could keep up with Ola, and this season the only one who can keep up with Fer. So excuse me while I laugh at people claiming Douglas hasn't got enough pace.

I'm a biased Twente fan and well aware of the fact that Twente isn't perfect. The club's not guilty of anything that any other Dutch club isn't guilty of though. It seems to me that the bottom line of your argument against Twente is that Twente is high profile, gets in the media a lot, gets backstabbed a lot, and is spending money. This is no different from what has happened to any other high profile Dutch club with money to spend for the past three decades. Chairmen glossing over the truth, clubs selling youth players, you act like this is all uniquely Twente. You know it's not. Nothing Twente has done is new to Dutch club football. One thing is new though: no club outside of the traditional top three has ever had the money to do what Twente is doing consistently for years in a row. I'm guessing that's why some Dutch people take issue with Twente. There's a huge 'who do they think they are' aspect to it.

The big joke to me as a Twente fan is that we don't even think of ourselves as a big club. Or to be more precise, we don't give a shite about whether we're considered a big club. We're quite content just the way we are, we don't need outside approval. One Feyenoord banner made me laugh. They had a map of the Netherlands and cut out Twente and made it part of Germany. We don't feel insulted by that, at all. Do a Google search for Vrije Republiek Twente (Twente Free Republic). Or check out Vak P's motto: Wij Tegen Iedereen. The more people like you rant against Twente, the more united we stand. So keep up the good work. It's people like you who are strengthening the feeling of solidarity in the Twente region. Thank you!

13. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well even if you dont consider yourself a big club, you are now. And I dont see that changing anytime soon.

And part of being a big club is increased rivalry, so there you go. But dont act as if everyone is out to get you (except maybe on bigsoccer.com :> )

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Nice gesture from Twente. :thumbsup:

Btw: What happened to this thread? Hmm, no postings since more than 2 weeks? Where is Mrs Neeskens? Hopefully only on vacation.

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They lost a couple of games.

afcajax73 repped this.
  16. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Isnt it always the case? maybe the over achieving era is over?! hahah

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last time I looked at the table they were in first place.:p

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It was not a great angle on the ESPN3 feed but Chadli looked offside when he took the pass that led to the match winner. Don't know if we will hear from Ms. Neeskens who was probably at the match about this.

19. It was an off side goal, but the Heracles coach "Bos", wasnot that pissed about it as he said that it was a deserved win in the end for FC Twente.

20. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think FC Twente will win this year's title.
    It's more a 2 man's army, Chadli and Tadic being the key players of the team.

They should take Ajax as an example, more youth less oldies. Players like Castaignos, Bulykin and grandpa Bosschker aren't any use for them

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Castaignos is only 21 years old or thereabouts so I don't think he classifies as an 'oldie'

22. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know, but he doesn't come from their youth. Im talking about the FC Twente youth. Only Boschker came from the youth and he is way too old for FCT

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Their youth program is not good enough to solely rely upon if they have aspirations to win trophies.

24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Merlin Schutte is an interesting player. But he's German.

25. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Castaignos just scored the second goal which puts twente up 2 nil on AZ.

Are guys who can put the ball in the net no longer useful?