Genius begins great works; labour alone finishes them. Twente 2012-2013 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 17, 2012.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've got plenty of arguments. I'm fine with BMI, he deserves to be in the squad. De Vrij however has not played a single good game since he returned from injury. I'm sure he's a fine prospect for the future, but on current form, why in god's name is he called up. And Matthijssen is too over the hill even for Feyenoord let alone the Dutch national team. Are you seriously going to argue Matthijssen deserves to be in the squad ahead of Douglas? I mean forget about your club or my club here for a second.

And that's just the defenders issue. Half the squad is ridiculous. And I'm hardly the only one who thinks this in the Netherlands, as you're VERY well aware of. Why don't you ask our resident Ajax fans about Willems being called up ahead of their back. Or Siem de Jong never getting a look in.

By the way, if Douglas had been called up, he'd probably have pulled out with some made up injury anyway. See the PSV three who just pulled out.

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well van Ginkel ran past him like he stood still. I also think Bony should have scored that easy tap in (so he got a big chance), plus it was Brama often doing work on Bony. Bony often dropped and Brama was handling him then.

Anyway, the game against Vitesse was a good example of what you get when defenders only defend and don't use their football ability to initiate let alone create something. Anti football. PVA was actually the best defender from both sides. Neutralized Tadic and also had some attacking intention here and there. He is neither in the NT. Douglas is better than Mathijsen, but Douglas is right footed and will be used on right center back and Mathijsen is left footed and is used for left center back. Douglas competes with de Vrij (who was pretty good this last game and not to blame for the conceded goals), Vlaar (one of the best against United) and Heitinga (played for Everton this weekend). The last two players compete week in week out against better teams and de Vrij is head and shoulders better in the football department. Look back Feyenoord's first goal. Besides, in EL Douglas missed the biggest chance of the EL tournament so far and in the away game against Levante he made huge defensive errors.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And Levante and Vitesse scored how many goals against Twente in these past two games, exactly??? I know how obsessed you are with player ratings. Why don't you look Douglas' ratings up? In any football medium really. And compare them to any of the other Dutch defenders. You won't hear me say Douglas ought to be a starter for Holland, I've never said that. The fact that he's not even called up however is just ridiculous. Just like a lot of Van Gaal's other choices are ridiculous, but this is the Twente thread so let's concentrate on him.

It always cracks me up when Douglas is blamed for making mistakes. As if the other Dutch defenders never make mistakes (while never having been tested against quality opposition I might add). For some reason it's considered preferrable to be consistently substandard than to put in great performances yet make the ocassional mistake. Why is that?

So how do you explain Twente's excellent defensive record then. Do you think Rosales, Braafheid and Bengtsson are world class? This is the truly baffling issue here. Our defensive mids aren't rated on this forum, none of our defenders are. So what's the Twente defensive record down to? Is it a miracle of some sort?

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Simple, McClaren's managerial style which is to defend first and try to get a counter attack goal. It just might win the Eredivisie this season but I guess PSV still have to be considered the favorite at this point in time.

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    3 times. All in the away game and in that game Douglas made huge blunders again.

I am not, but you repeating that between 8 and 12 times now on this forum has installed that association with me by now. That is the aim and effect of ad nauseam. :)

They are not bad.

I think that is because it is his "thing" to defend. If your "thing" on top of that is to give a 50 meter opening "op de stropdas" then you spread the things you have going on for yourself. If your handling speed is high and you are always able find the football solution you have another thing going on for yourself. If you are able to let a team build up under whatever kind of pressure is coming at you, then you are a player that is aligned with Dutch defensive philosophy and van Gaal is an exponent of that. Now I think about it .... , it's even in his contract. Douglas is weak in the last two category's. Strong in the first one (I have always admitted that). However van Gaal is forced by his contract to play the good football and that is bad news for Douglas.

Simple. Greece has been able to win the Euro with the same tactic. Defensive discipline. Compact game play. Choose your compact grouping from a low line on, close to the goal and then every line close to the next line. Vitesse did the same, as they did against Ajax and it resulted in a sh*t game Sunday. I Saw the whole game and was not a happy camper.

No it all makes perfectly sense. You of all people was first to admit that Twente's failure last season (with FC Groningen relative speaking the worst performers, rated to available budget IIRC) was due to lack of creativity. Those midfielders are just boring ball stoppers/runners that don't have the creative pass forward. As you know I am a fan of Clasie exactly for this reason (that and his handling speed, which was recently nicely underscored by a Dutch pundit seeing every training of Oranje and telling how Clasie was almost the only one able to keep up doing rondo's with the best 4 of the team in this regard). So the non rating comes from the fact of many of them (not all) being sober ball stoppers. When they have to do something with ball, it's not special. It's by the way better you say defensive record in Eredivisie. In EL it's 7 conceded and almost as bad as HIF (last in the group and the worst record) who have 8 goals conceded. FC Twente even lost against a second division team conceding another 2 goals. Douglas was in the field already when those 2 goals fell IIRC.

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not to mention that Douglas conceded 46 league goals last season.

As for Blind and Siem. I really couldnt care less. They're not good enough. Some of us have less trouble being realistic and unbiased.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    So correct me if I'm wrong, our defence is substandard because they manage to play well defensively. Sigh.

Of course PSV are the favourites.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Fair enough. How many goals did the Feyenoord defence concede in Europe?

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same.

Again, you have 2 teams now that at many occasions pull a Greece. FC Twente and Vitesse. They also both have conceded least amount of goals of all clubs in Eredivisie. Should we start to select PVA or even vd Heijden?

How is it that you want to refocus a whole piece I have written on a point I have just addressed? Why equating FC Twente with Feyenoord, when both teams play differently and Douglas is competing with Heitinga, Vlaar and de Vrij? Not with Mathijsen (who sucks these days). It blurs the discussion going by clubteam. I still remember when Bert van Marwijk came just into power and it was beyond you how Brama was not selected. Same reason why he never made it eventually after a few caps. No creativity and no handling speed. The moment Brama is confronted with teams like Benfica he loses the plot. Even an in form Wijnaldum turned him inside out. He and Douglas neutralized Bony well. I will give you that. Point in case is that van Gaal needs to go back to Dutch football by contract. I heard Bert was already trying to get him on board in 2010. If Bert would have been a coach then he probably would have given Douglas already 2 or 3 caps easily. However when you choose for a certain setup, you need to choose players that can carry it out the best. What is the point of building up from the back when you have a player not able to carry it out? It's like a weak link that makes the chain snap. It's like a house of cards. The whole house collapses very easily. He is found out in seconds and then he will be targeted to pressure by the strong teams or left open by the weak teams as he will mess up anytime soon and that's the moments they prey on. Then the whole team is only busy cleaning up and being nervous. Then we start playing long balls and the opponent has us where they want us, in our allergy. Us not being able to play to our quality's. Was it not last game or the game before where Douglas just blatantly passed the ball right into the feet of the opponent? We can't have that and certainly not on regular basis.

And about the supposed realism of going for Douglas and the football that goes along with his kind of players. Have you seen Ajax vs City? There you see what training on football can evolve into. A team with far less resources outplaying a team of hundreds of millions in 3 of the 4 halves they played eachother. Now you will point to the beating of 1-4 against Madrid and yes, it's true that happened. However those are investments. With playing the position game and nurturing the passing game within a team you eventually get to a level where the football automatism's become of such high level, that it overpowers even teams with greater individual quality's. Also once it is installed, it goes on as a machinery. Remember how Ajax went on a long winning streak last season? You can keep it up for much longer then work football. It also looks better and feels more rewarding as you are the one making the game. The constant "realism" you have called for and want to spread now also to the NT had your team underachieving massively last season. However it is waved away as if nothing has happened. You are pretty much out of 2 very important competitions and in the last one, the Eredivisie PSV is now ahead of you. So my point is, why not take a fresh look at how a game can also be played and accept that for that for another game type than FC Twente and at a higher level, a defender must possess handling speed and build up quality's. Douglas misses both. Plus the mindfarts. Don't forget the mindfarts. His main strength harbors an important weakness.

It's also funny that I more or less have predicted that Douglas under van Gaal would get a tough time getting into the team. Yet it was me being biased vs Douglas as he was clearly what we missed. How many competitive games have we won so far? How many goals have we conceded? Dutch NT are flat track bullies, but so far we did a good job on the less gifted teams. These games have now bought us time to go further down this path and try to get to that point where we are able to beat better opponents as we can play the ball around in a better way then they can. Douglas does not belong to that method. He is a lower paradigm footballer. He would probably do excellent at Newcastle. Hoofing the ball away, playing 4-4-2 and just winning duels. You also see how Anita is struggling in such a team. Vice versa story.

On a side note. Do you know who is doing excellent in EPL at the moment? Ruiz.

Orange14 repped this.
  10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You're talking about Douglas as if he's only just started to play football. He's been one of the best defenders in the eredivisie for five years and has played under four different managers. Two of them were ultra-attacking: Preudhomme and Adriaanse. Check Twente's defensive record over the past five years, Twente has an excellent defensive record even when counting in last season.

By the way, Twente plays a very Dutch 4-3-3, even under McClaren. At home the team plays dominant, attacking football. Why do you think wingers always thrive here? From Elia through to Stoch and Ola John through to Chadli? Meanwhile how many Greek wingers do you know?

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think that I said what you are attributing to me. The exact quote was, "McClaren's managerial style which is to defend first and try to get a counter attack goal." I'm not saying that this is good or bad but just that it is what it is. If the aspiration is to win the league with this style of play, the fans in Enschede will probably be quite proud. If they don't win the league, they probably will be unhappy. The style of play has already been commented on by DRB.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We don't always play defensively though, that's a myth. There's a big difference between Twente away and Twente at home. You really don't have that many wingers come to the fore in a defensive system, just doesn't happen. It's true that McClaren doesn't feel a moral responsibility to always attack like Dutch coaches do, I'll give you that, but even he knows that at home something is expected of the team.

The new generation Twente fans is no different from Ajax fans Orange14. They're extremely demanding, winning alone is no longer enough.

13. As always you react on something I didnot say/posted. The above argument is on something that only exists inside your head.
    What I tried to bring over to you is the question why you are always so negative and in the need to put down others, just to satisfy your misplaced feelings of inferiority. Your club has been performing admirably the last 5 years, as to my club only last and hopefully this season. If I had your look at the world, I would be on medication, because I would be in far bigger need to feel frustrated. But I'm not, because I have a positive view on the world, what ever it brings me. That's why no one will catch me posting such posts as you do. I can feel good when the sun shines on somebody else, and when it does on me I'm not immediately linking my good fortune to bash something else. Lighten up and enjoy life.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After FC Twente's championship year, Douglas has stood still and at times regressed. Douglas is climbing now again somewhat in the rankings and you made sure pointing to it when that was the case. Good for him. However every time I see him, there are mistakes. Look at de Vrij running up the field and being the factor setting things up for Feyenoord to score within 30 or even 20 seconds in last game. I primarily look at what defenders do with the ball at their feet. That's why I watched a game against amateurs from Ajax to see Denswil. We need to have some complete players again. I am equally principal on the box wonders of these times like Huntelaar. I hate them. At PSV we have Locadia popping up, another one (though a bit more complete). At youth levels there are 3 high profile ones I believe. They are like attacking Douglas's for me. They possess excellent box intelligence and finishing capability and therefor score many goals. People say: "They do what a striker is supposed to do: score goals". Douglas is a defender and that is exactly what he does. You put him at the back and he will take out his man. People say: "He does what he is supposed to do: defend". In both cases I say: Not in my book. I demand far more from attackers and I demand more from defenders. I am very consistent in my view in this regard. Where the Huntelaar kind of striker does not allow you to go for high level football solutions, the Douglas kind of defender does not allow you to do the same at the back. It's also connected. With adding in every line better footballers, you enhance the solution power of "the grid", more then in a linear way. You get major synergy benefits. A team truly becomes more than it's individual parts. It reaches much higher then adding work footballers in every line. It's just a higher paradigm. Therefor it is also harder to get to that state. It will take dedication and patience to get to that level and the "realism" people don't have that.

I have bought and read the van Gaal biography some time ago and the best page was about how he in 1995 had created this world class passing level at training with Ajax. He described the process of building this machinery to keep winning. To buy and select players after the season that were better at executing this (doorselecteren). Obviously Douglas is not in the plans for the future to get this installed with the Dutch NT. NT is also different. You need to do best with the short time you get the players from their club. Remember that video of van Gaal with stopwatch in his hands a few weeks ago, trying to get the team in possession hold it for 1 minute against the chasing team? "Gaan we het meemaken?" he screams. How would Douglas do in such games? We both know the answer and when new and better footballing defenders will stand up he will start to select them.

It's also good to know that McClaren went to Wolfsburg and did not want to take Douglas with him. Did not regard him as good enough. That's publicized. He will work with him in Eredivisie but after becoming champs with him he did not want hin his new team. Go figure what that says about Douglas. Douglas has yet to play a season as good as that champion year.

I actually think your first bit is true. Hence the words I used "at many occasions". At home FC Twente is indeed more attacking. Against Ajax and Vitesse they were very defensive. These where 2 away games. As for wingers doing well at Twente, why would I go by a "the proof is in the pie"argument when I see the whole games. I don't need to figure out game play by the well functioning of wingers. You can play 4-3-3 hanging around the box and looking for moments to break away. 4-3-3 is a very versatile system. You still have to watch the games to judge how it is executed. McClaren is a very conservative coach. Those are not my words, but your words.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've told you before I will only get into a football discussion. This is a football forum, not a psycho babble forum.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

The truth is we don't even know how Douglas would compare to De Vrij in an orange shirt because he's never been tested in that team. I think it's fair to give him a chance, on the basis of having been one of the eredivisie's best central defenders for half a decade, on the basis of him having proved himself in many a European game against top class opposition, and considering that Matthijssen as we all know is over the hill. I can't say fairer than that. We also know that Douglas will move to a bundesliga or premiership side next season, and considering that physical defenders are rated more in both leagues, I've no doubt he will be rated in either. I fully agree with you that he'll never be in a Holland side as long as Van Gaal is coach. While I'm fine with that from a Twente perspective, I think Van Gaal is wrong.

We've had our fair share of exciting wingers and forwards at Twente over the years, and we do now too. The Chadli-Tadic combination is a joy to watch. Our scouts are good at identifying forwards, our youth accademy and coaching staff are good at developing them, particularly the allegedly difficult boys. I think we deserve credit for it, personally, but hey I'm biased. In any case I don't think it's fair to label Twente as Greece version 2 considering the eye this club has for creative attacking talent.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oke well this means you don't read what I say. All other people on this thread face the same problem, but I will now try to make my point as short as possible:

• Van Gaal has brought him with the group. He has watched him in training. Van Gaal saw confirmed what he gets from scouts watching FC Twente and his own two eyes looking at the club. Douglas is not a valuable asset to carry out his philosophy. Saying he is wrong, means you disagree with his philosophy. Handling speed and build up are sub par with Douglas.
    • Douglas is not competing with Mathijsen. So stop pretending he is. If you want to continue to use this point, address it. He is competing with de Vrij.
    • Douglas has stood still or regressed since the champions year of FC Twente.
    • If you want him to stay intact for you club, why pressing for his playing minute's?
    • If you like to put forward FC Twente's stats so much, you can't do that without adressing those under van Gaal. How has he been doing so far without Douglas?

Developing? Since when are Chadli and Tadic Twente products? They are good and letting them play to their quality's. The Greece reference was placed in the context it was placed in and I have explained clearly what i meant with it.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We bought Chadli for half a million from AGOVV and he's worth 20 times that now. It's not like we ever have been the richest club in the country. Ajax could've bought Chadli, after that cup game against AGOVV especially. But Twente did. Same applies to Elli Elia. Written off by the world and his wife. Twente saw something in him, nobody else did. Arnautovic: same thing, pretty much kicked out of his country really. Janssen: everybody thought he was married to Vitesse. Etc etc. We bought them and propelled them to relative stardom, more importantly, we made a (big) profit out of them, and it's already a certainty that we'll make a profit out of Tadic. Of course we make mistakes, but the risks taken are all relative. We get criticised a lot for selling Ola John to ensure we could balance the books. We would get criticised even more if we got into financial trouble though. You can't win really. Anyway, whether you like it or not, that is what makes Twente a profitable and succesful club today. Twente is a pragmatic, realistic club. I guess not a lot of Dutch people like that because they still live in the lalaland that Cruyff lives in.

Van Gaal's opinion of Douglas end of the day is just one opinion. Van Gaal is the man who calls up Schaken, after all. You can't even find a lot of Feyenoord fans who agree with that decision.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Here we go again. Mihaylov got injured with Bulgaria and won't recover from it before the beginning of next year. Sigh. WHEN OH WHEN will they put a stop to these meaningless friendlies.

Orange14 repped this.
  20. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What do they do at NT training sessions that they don't do at regular training that causes so many players to get hurt? It seems that the number of players injured on international duty is comparatively high relative to player injured playing or training for their clubs

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've wondered about that too. Maybe there's not enoguh communication between club doctor and country doctor.

Anyway it pisses me off. First Fer now Mihaylov. At least you can get financial compensation for it from FIFA now, but that's small consolation when these injuries can actually cost you the league title.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Twente does well is letting their transfers succeed. I think many would agree to that. Twente is often good at letting a footballer play to his quality's. The Ola John affair was shameful because of the misinformation about the sequences of events that had happened, which shed another light on the case. I also think FC Twente should have gone further to keep their own youth product. I find it important a team plays with many youth products.

I think it was you that complimented the new Ajax strategy of not buying for big money and saying no against transfer targets that cost more money than they plan to spend. Sticking to their budget. So is it lalaland or is it financial sound policy? Anyway hyperbole's do not cover the truth. FC Twente in my eyes has sold out on Ola John. I think financial strategy must be in place to keep exactly those youngsters, not use them to buy more expansive transfer targets. It's very normal for the masses to jump on the growth train and loose their skeptical mindset. I don't believe in growth at all cost and that's why I don't buy into words as "realism". It's easily used to sell unethical behavior and talk choices straight that make a club more unauthentic. Not buying it.

In a 4-3-3 system where you want to play with typical wingers that possess speed, who would you have called up for the right wing?

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That wasn't a stab at Ajax at all. They can afford to build on their youth players. We can't (yet). Our first team has climbed the table very rapidly, it'll take years for our youth academy to catch up. Though mind you, our youth teams are actually doing quite well. And for the umpteenth time, can you stop being sanctiminous. It's not your place to be calling Twente unauthentic, no-one died and made you the moral guardian of dutch club football and please let Twente fans decide for themselves what they think of their club. What you think does not matter to them.

With Robben, Van Persie, Kuyt, Elia, Ola John and Ibi Afellay you have plenty of options on the wings and don't need Schaken. If Van Gaal really does want to be all puritan about his wingers then he might as well stop fielding Robben, he stopped being a traditional Dutch winger years ago when he left PSV. Ola John's the only one wo doesn't constantly cut to the inside, come to think of it.

24. Red part: Here you lie again. and again and....That's why I posted about your Calimero attitude, you say the one thing and do the other. As DRB remarked, you have trouble reading/understanding what is posted and twist it into your frame of mind.

25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's good to hear.

I have a metric for authenticity and FC Twente does not qualify for it. Has nothing to do all with the big words you use here. You want me to buy some kind of distorted view that a club can be called the NT of Twente with 11 people from Madagscar in it. Your irritation stems from holding on to this distortion, not from me saying something strange or taking a unreasonable position.

Irrelevant. The validity of what I am saying does not stem from them caring about my words or not.

• Van Persie has sucked from the wing when tried.
    • Kuyt is too slow.
    • Elia is a left winger
    • Ola John is a left winger, but could play right wing. Is only just a starting player all of the suddon and played at Benfica from the left.
    • Afellay is an option, but plays left wing/midfield for club.