General PDL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by QuietType, May 11, 2012.

1. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    PDL Expands to Las Vegas for 2014
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/762509.html

2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible name, but hopefully it works better than the last new USL team from the southwest started by a bunch of lawyers. Although at least this group is smart enough to start in PDL rather than jump straight into USL Pro.

Owen Thornhill repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've been following Lane United FC a bit. Kind of an interesting story (old relic stadium, community rallies etc).

I was confused by their coaching situation. Apparently they had one coach (Gabriel Hernandez) who lead them against some PDL local rivalries in a summer friendly tour. Then a week or so ago they announced a new head coach, Galas formerly of Thorns and Timbers. Anyone know what happened to Hernandez?

5. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    doesnt look the like ground will be ready for next season. Needs a revamp just to use the existing facilities. I wonder how well funded is Lane United.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice find. It looks like the non-profit community group that was all for using the Civic Stadium have actually transferred/sold ownership of the club to a local company (Redline?).

7. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Las Vegas has a team, albeit with a ridiculous name, I wonder how the games will be scheduled. Those late season matches will be interesting. Anyone ever been to a FC Tucson match? How did the players cope with the conditions?

8. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    They could start that conference earlier in the year. Home Playoffs would still be a problem.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @UnionFreak1, your thoughts?

10. NickyClee'sClickyKnee

Oct 21, 2013
    Manchester, UK
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was hoping another New England team might pop up in the USL. There was a proposal to make a team called Central Mass Cobras but after a press release or two nothing more was said about it.

http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=17938

11. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been to one FC Tucson match and it was in May before it gets really hot, but I have played and watched many games in extreme heat. They will have to play the games late in the evenings with 7pm kickoffs. The heat itself isn't so bad, but the sun is brutal. Playing at night, even if it is 110, isn't so bad. We get up early and play during the summer, but once it gets to be 10am and thae sun is beating down on you, its almost unbearable, even if the temps are only in the 90's.

Phoenix FC played Charleston in August with a 4:30pm kickoff on artificial turf. I think it was 114 degrees that day. It was a terrible game. Neither team had much energy. I was just happy the game ended without a player or spectator collapsing from the heat. Players will adjust to the heat, but no matter how much you do it, playing under the Arizona sun is brutal.

SoCalYid repped this.
  12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool if they had a winter league for sun belt clubs. I want to support Las Vegas soccer, the heat doesn't bother me as I'm not playing but the whole match I'll be thinking about the conditions for the the players, which is distracting.

13. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    if NASL and USL PRO merged and had a few more teams including MLS reserve teams, have 4 conferences and the conferences with the most heat/sun start a month or two earlier and take a month or two off in July/August. inter conference games can be where the different conference's regular season's overlap. Ideally you would need 24 teams for 4 x 6 team conferences. One long season for the northern clubs and practically two short seasons for the sunny conferences. Between NASL and USL pro including expansion teams there could be 28 teams by 2015. It would mean both leagues co-operating but i think it would help the non MLS pro clubs by doing something like this.

14. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be good, but unfortunately it wont happen. At least any time soon. The reason there even IS a NASL is because several owners didn't like the direction that USL was going, and they wanted more. The teams that stayed in USL either agreed with the direction, or didn't want to (or couldn't) risk more money to possibly be different. I think those teams probably STILL can't, or don't want to, spend the money it would take to be in NASL. They are happy, or satisfied at least, where they are.
    And USL-PRO has made it it's almost stated goal to be a farm league for MLS. NASL doesn't want that. So there are philosophical and monetary differences in the two leagues that are definitely keeping them apart.

15. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
  16. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a interesting move. I wonder if we'll see some more MLS clubs add PDL or NPSL teams? It seems like a good way to provide even more opportunity for places to play your better academy players.

17. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems odd with MLS HQ pushing MLS clubs to affiliate or start their own USL Pro team, why do the Quakes now start a PDL team?

19. Ender500

Ender500 Member

May 4, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm thinking it's for there academy players since they won't have many more reserve league games to take part in.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll second Ender500.

USL Pro would take away the opportunity for players to stay "amateur." So, now they can attract college players into their system if they choose. It's basically an advanced Super 20 League. Nice move. There are several MLS clubs that also have Super 20s and/or NPSL -- along with others having PDL.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess its just odd that MLS/USL are pushing these pro affiliations and the Quakes now start a PDL team. Are they 5 years behind or something? Shouldn't the Quakes be working an a Pro affiliation instead?

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are...

Maybe their reserve team will be taking that honor...

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Do MLS teams get into USL-Pro for free ? Or do they have to pay for the expansion franchise ?

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could probably say that about most MLS teams and having a team at the U23 level (either PDL or NPSL). My thoughts this is probably a easier step for them to start then either an affiliation or starting their own USL Pro team. I know the Fire PDL team used to be about bringing in a bunch of top level college players from all over. Now it's more about using their Academy players and a few outside college players. Maybe the SJ academy is at the point where they want an additional higher level for some of them to play in. Plus they have some pretty good colleges in the area where they could add some players from.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they have to pay the $500k or whatever franchise fee that everyone else does. I can't imagine that the USL is that cozy with MLS.