General PDL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by QuietType, May 11, 2012.

1. CapitalCityFC

CapitalCityFC Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Pics or it didn't happen.

2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New bleachers..

Attached Files:

USRufnex and CapitalCityFC repped this.
  3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Ah, reminds me of my college days....

"Hail, Alma Mater, honored by all
    We love your Gothic towers
    so stately and tall....." :)

http://www.oklahomacityfc.com/index.php?pdl-players

I'm curious to find out if NAIA works the same as NCAA... current NCAA players can't practice with the squad until after finals are over... and I think we've got at least a half dozen from Tulsa Univ that will be with our NPSL team soon (hopefully two of them have the last name, "Mata"). Three TU players are going to play with the Houston Dutch Lions... http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/708378.html

Hope your scarves are on their way... it takes about "35 days" from date of order from Ruffneck... I fear a soccer riot erupting here in Tulsa due to us not ordering enough scarves in the first shipment... :whistling:

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fairly certain NAIA rules are different, but couldn't swear to it.

(Also, when I was in the W-League - with similar rules on college players - we actually got a ruling from a compliance officer that tryouts and training were not "competition" under NCAA rules. The rules were - and may still be - that you couldn't have "outside competition" before May 1. But once we got the ruling that we could have tryouts and training prior to May 1 without running afoul of anything, we had tryouts and brought the team together a couple of weeks, maybe three weeks, before that. Big advantage and the team made the Final Four that year.)

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the first game Saturday. The Supporters Group, Red Dirt Brigade, is starting to come together. Should be fun. And then I read that OKC FC has signed some kind of agreement with Swansea City FC. For what, I wasn't quite sure.

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, now that I can see OKC's PDL roster, it looks like they have a few players that are on current NAIA rosters... And, unless I've overlooked somebody, I don't see any current NAIA players on Tulsa's NPSL roster right now.

Both teams had open tryouts at roughly the same time.
    We've had two friendlies; the one in OKC was open to the public (called at 50' due to thunder)... the one in Tulsa was "closed."

Much facebook trash talk ensued... insults were traded... :cool:

In the end, it all depends on how many Tulsa Univ and Oral Roberts Univ players we add to our roster... OKC theoretically has more NAIA schools to draw from... while Tulsa has the only two NCAA D-1 men's squads in the state...

Houston Dutch Lions PDL squad has these three... http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/708378.html
    Since this press release is from early April, I assume that announcements of intent can be made...
    However, our club has chosen not to make any formal announcements... I am told informally that we'll have about a half dozen from TU alone... and I have my fingers crossed that two of them are the Mata brothers... http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/111812aab.html
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-player-profile/cristian-mata/cpid-1005159

Looks like it could make any open cup games in future years a bit problematic...

7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping that OKCFC and TA meet in the Open Cup in the future. How cool would that be? :)

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May 17, 2013

Newtown Parent Connection, Inc. (NPC) announces Soccer Revolution fundraiser in New Britain
    Professional teams New England Revolution (MLS) and New York Cosmos (NASL) join
    Real Boston Rams (USL PDL) and local entry Newtown Pride for benefit event on June 18

NEWTOWN, Conn. – The Newtown Parent Connection, Inc. (NPC) is proud to announce a very special soccer doubleheader fundraiser, Soccer Revolution, at Veterans Memorial Stadium in New Britain, Conn., on Tuesday, June 18.

The special doubleheader of soccer action features the New England Revolution of Major League Soccer against Real Boston Rams of the United Soccer League’s Professional Development League in the first match. In the second game, the New York Cosmos of the North American Soccer League will face Newtown’s own, the Newtown Pride of the Connecticut Soccer League.

The evening will kick off at 6 p.m. with the Revs-Rams match, followed by the Cosmos-Pride match at 7:30 p.m. Stadium gates will open at 5 p.m.

Tickets cost $15 and can be purchased at newtownparentconnection.org. Fans who purchase tickets before 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 11, will receive discounts: individual tickets will be $13, while group tickets (for parties of 20 or more) will be $10 each.

All proceeds from Soccer Revolution, including ticket sales and proceeds from a silent auction held that evening, will go to the Newtown Parent Connection.

"Newtown Parent Connection has been supporting the Newtown community for more than 20 years, and as a result of the tragic events on December 14, 2012, there is an increased need for family and youth peer support for both mental health and substance use disorders," says Dorrie Carolan, Co-Founder of Newtown Parent Connection. "We look forward to these soccer fundraising events as a way to build the sustainable support infrastructure our community needs to assist in the healing process for the long-term, something that will be in place, five, 10 and 15 years from now.”
    The event, organized by the NPC, is supported by the city of New Britain, Conn., through the use of Veterans Memorial Stadium and municipal support made possible by Mayor Timothy E. O’Brien and Angelo D’Alfonso, chairman of the New Britain Parks and Recreation Committee.

“We’re so pleased this event has come to fruition,” Mike Svanda, Newtown Pride coach, said. “When the tragedy at Sandy Hook took place we were devastated, as many people were. We were trying to think of a way to help affect change, a real difference for the future. We wanted to play soccer games to raise awareness and bring families together. Our goal is to play soccer to raise funds and awareness for the Newtown Parent Connection, and to help implement programs to help the recovery, establish support now, and set up preventative mechanisms for the future. The Newtown Pride Soccer team has dedicated the entire season to raising awareness and raising funds for the NPC, playing the game we love for the town we represent. It is amazing to see the Rams, Revolution and Cosmos come together for this cause and it’s an honor to be a part of this great event.”

“We’re honored to participate in Soccer Revolution and help raise awareness of the work the Newtown Parent Connection is doing,” New England Revolution president Brian Bilello said. “We’re proud to be New England’s team, and we want to do everything we can to assist members of our community. When we were first invited to Newtown in January for Soccer Night in Newtown, members of our team and many other representatives from around MLS saw how tight-knit and proud this community is. The work of the Newtown Parent Connection is vital to help its community recover, grow and thrive, and we’re excited to be part of the process with Soccer Revolution with the Rams, Cosmos and Pride.”

“The New York Cosmos are proud to help support the Newtown Parent Connection and the entire community of Newtown, Conn.” Erik Stover, New York Cosmos Chief Operating Officer, said. “We couldn’t think of a better way to assist the community than with a beautiful game. This is going to be a wonderful event and we’re excited to partner with the Newtown Pride, the Boston Rams and the New England Revolution for this very special day.”

“The Real Boston Rams are honored and thrilled to take part in the Soccer Revolution,” John Barata, general manager of Real Boston Rams, said. “The Newtown Parent Connection is laying the foundation for on-going support for those affected by the Dec. 14 tragedy in Sandy Hook. Their efforts are remarkable and the mission is great. We are happy to serve our fellow brothers and sisters in any way possible. Soccer is a global language and in this case we want to make it one of peace and unity. We are privileged to work with the New England Revolution, our MLS affiliate, the New York Cosmos and the Newtown Pride on this event.”

ABOUT THE NEWTOWN PARENT CONNECTION, INC. (NPC)
    The mission of the Newtown Parent Connection is to educate and empower the community in the prevention of substance abuse and to embrace families in crisis. NPC recognizes now, more than ever, the need to embrace all families, especially those impacted by the traumatic events of December 14, 2012. The organization has expanded its vision to build and finance a permanent wellness, prevention and recovery support infrastructure for young people and families in the Newtown community. For more information, please visit newtownparentconnection.org.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't notice this until yesterday, but unless I've somehow misplaced some games, PDL teams are only playing 14 games this year (when the schedule was announced, they said it was the usual 16).

I wonder why that got changed.

11. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PDL Regular Season Schedule Released
    2013 campaign opens May 4
    USL News Release
    Friday, January 18, 2013
    "PDL clubs will play a 14-game schedule in 2013, seven home and seven away."
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/689320.html

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, except I have the release in my email inbox.

Want to see what it said?

The PDL will feature 65 teams in four geographic conferences and nine divisions. The Eastern Conference features three divisions while the Southern, Central and Western Conferences feature two divisions each. PDL clubs will again play 16-game schedules in 2013, eight home and eight away. The defending PDL champion Forest City London opens its 2013 campaign on May 18, when it travels to play the River City Rovers.

13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoff format: http://www.uslsoccer.com/docs/2013 PDL Media Guide.pdf

2013 Important Dates

July 17: PDL Roster Freeze
    July 21: PDL Regular Season Ends
    July 22-28: PDL Playoffs
    August 2-4: PDL Championship
    December 12-15: USL Annual General Meeting

Playoffs

Eastern Conference (7):

#1 team from Mid Atlantic Division advances automatically to conference final four.
    #2 & #3 teams from Mid Atlantic Division play, with winner advancing to conference final four.
    #1 & #2 teams from Northeast Division play, with winner advancing to conference final four.
    #1 & #2 teams from South Atlantic Division play, with winner advancing to conference final four.

Central Conference (5):

Heartland Division - Top two teams advance to conference final four.
    Great Lakes Division - Play-in between #2 and #3. Winner advances with #1 seed to conference final four.

Southern Conference (4):

Mid South Division: #1 and #2 advance to conference final four.
    Southeast Division: #1 and #2 Advance to conference final four.

Western Conference (5):

Northwest Division: Play-in between #2 and #3. Winner advances with #1 seed to the conference final four.
    Southwest Division: #1 and #2 advance to conference final four.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Menace upsets Minnesota 1-0 again. Will face Sporting in round 3 again.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DES MOINES MENACE. The Menace, coached by former FC Dallas head coach Mike Jeffries, beat Minnesota United FC, 1-0, for its fifth win over a pro club.

Brandon Fricke scored the lone goal on an 86th-minute header, and the Menace survived a late scare when Pablo Campos’ header hit off the crossbar. The win moves Des Moines into the third round at defending champion Sporting Kansas City.

17. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wonder if anyone caught this rather short press rel on Bermuda

PDL Amends Mid Atlantic Schedule
    Bermuda Hogges unable to participate in 2013
    PDL News Release
    Friday, May 24, 2013
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/722463.html

Just for informational purposes, they hadn't played a game yet. Their original schedule:

Fri, May 31, 7:00; Reading United AC [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Sun, Jun 2, 5:00; NJ LUSO Rangers FC [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Wed, Jun 5, 7:30; Bermuda Hogges [at] Westchester Flames @ City Park Stadium
    Fri, Jun 7, 7:30; Bermuda Hogges [at] F.A. Euro - New York Magic
    Tue, Jun 11, 7:30; Bermuda Hogges [at] Long Island Rough Riders @ Cy Donnelly Stadium
    Sat, Jun 15, 7:00; Bermuda Hogges [at] Jersey Express @ NJIT Stadium
    Mon, Jun 17, 7:30; Bermuda Hogges [at] NJ LUSO Rangers FC @ Drew University
    Fri, Jun 21, 7:00; Central Jersey Spartans [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Sun, Jun 23, 5:00; Long Island Rough Riders [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Fri, Jun 28, 7:00; Baltimore Bohemians [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Sun, Jun 30, 5:00; F.A. Euro - New York Magic [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association
    Thu, Jul 4, 6:00; Bermuda Hogges [at] Ocean City Nor'easters @ Carey Stadium
    Sat, Jul 6, 6:00; Bermuda Hogges [at] Central Jersey Spartans @ Torpey Field
    Fri, Jul 12, 7:00; Jersey Express [at] Bermuda Hogges @ Bermuda Athletic Association

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted that somewhere, yeah. Probably Silverstein, he's the Postmaster General.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, did see it discussed on page 2 of the "not a good sign" thread, but that thead was originally on the Antigua pro team.

Maybe the last PDL team to fold right before the season started was Columbus Shooting Stars in 2004 (they are listed in the Media Guide in 2003, but not 2004). If I remember, PDL had to put out a presser on how their four US Open Cup qualifiers had to be handled. [They creamed both their PDL and women's teams.]

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT'S WHAT I SAID! ;)

There was another one...I want to say like Tallahassee or Panama City Beach (not the current PCB one) or something. And back in the day, the Santa Barbara Sharks. But I think Columbus, yeah, happened, too. I think there was a hockey component to the owner's empire. Such as it was.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fresno Fuego at 8-0-1. Are they the team to beat this year?

23. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType repped this.
  24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Reading United is also unbeaten with a 5-0-2 record and 21 goals scored vs. 4 against.

QuietType repped this.