General PDL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by QuietType, May 11, 2012.

1. LondonAFC

LondonAFC Member

Mar 17, 2012
    If you were an international (non college) player between 21-23 and aspired to have a pro career and you could play for any PDL team what teams would you choose. List a top 3 excluding any of the MLS U23 teams including Orlando.

Based on level of play, history, pro players produced, result/standings, attendances, professionalism and some quality of life/location aspects my top 3 would be:

Ventura County Fusion (I heard they only train a few evenings a week but remain a "powerhouse" compared to some full time teams)
    Austin Aztex
    FC Tuscon / Victoria Highlanders

Including MLS teams Seattle, Portland, Chicago and Orlando probably go ahead of those three.

And of course a nice three month vacation at Las Vegas Mobsters, Floridians (Miami) or a couple others doesn't sound too bad either!

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Des Moines Menace
    Cape Cod Crusaders were really good in their day they even had Ethan Zohn!
    Reading Rage/United FC

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three month vacation in Las Vegas in the summer?

Ever been out this way?

(Also, supposedly Thunder Bay has a really nice setup for its players.)

4. LondonAFC

LondonAFC Member

Mar 17, 2012
    What's the issue with Vegas? Heat?

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. LondonAFC

LondonAFC Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Yeah but having to put up with the British rain for 10 months, three months of heat doesn't sound too bad ;)

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the San Jose Earthquakes PDL team will be playing in the Southwest Division. Playing home games at CSU Stanislaus.. Interesting that the name doesn't have a U-23 in it. Should we read to much into that?? (im a PDL noob, dont make fun of me :))

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Given that the PDL is, largely, a U-23 league. There was, at one point, an actual roster limit to the number of over-23 players you could have on a PDL roster. I don't know if that's formal anymore, but it just works that out that way anyway, as the vast majority of PDL players are U23s.

12. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright. I was kinda confused because the Sounders, Whitecaps, Timbers, and Fire all had U-23 at the end of their names.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do that for differentiation, it seems. But they don't have to. The Quakes have apparently chosen not to, which is not to say they won't eventually.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the demise of two long-running PDL teams - the Kansas City Brass (16 seasons) and El Paso Patriots (10 seasons) - the following clubs have the longest active runs in the PDL:

Des Moines Menace/Michigan Bucks (19 seasons)
    IMG Academy Bradenton (17 seasons)
    Orlando City U23s/Vermont Voltage/Westchester Flames (16 seasons)
    Thunder Bay Chill (15 seasons)
    Chicago Fire U-23/Southern California Seahorses (14 seasons)
    BYU Cougars/Fresno Fuego/Ocean City Nor'Easters/West Virginia Chaos (12 seasons)

With Kansas City (and El Paso and Central Jersey and Virginia Beach and Ottawa and VSI Tampa Bay) folding, the PDL failure rate is 61% since 2000.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the rumors are true that the Central FL Kraze will restart as a NPSL come true, will Orlando City U23s lose their tenure?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Orlando's U23 team going to continue to play in the NPSL? Or is someone going to start a new club called the Central Florida Kraze?

That organization - under both names - has been going on continuously since 1999. If they keep playing, they'll continue to have their PDL longevity streak. If they move to the NPSL, they'll still have their continuous playing streak, it just won't be in the PDL. And if someone starts a new NPSL club called the Central Florida Kraze, they'll be starting from scratch.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, that list above was only going back to 1996. Des Moines has actually been around continuously since 1994, as have the Long Island Rough Riders. But LIRR hasn't always been in the PDL. El Paso had been around continously since 1991, but had gone from the amateur ranks to the A-League and back. And there was the long, twisting history of the Dallas/Fort Worth Toros/Spurs/Rattlers/YouNameIts, which went all the way back to the SISL and continued at various levels until 2010.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the founders of the Kraze, who "merged" with Orlando City have apparently backed out and are restarting the Kraze. The rumors are that they will start a NPSL team called the Central FL Kraze. I am sure Orlando City MLS will keep the Orlando City U23s PDL team around. I figured since the tenure list was your creation, you were making up the rules, hence my questions. :)

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't really "merge" with Orlando City. OC bought their franchise, lock, stock and barrel, didn't they?

I would imagine if they wanted to start an NPSL team called the Central Florida Kraze, they certainly could do that, as long as OCSC doesn't claim that as intellectual property or something.

But it's just like I always say in reference to the Cosmos: if I opened a nightclub in Parsippany, New Jersey next month and called it Studio 54, would I be able to say Mick Jagger partied here in the 1970s?

Orlando City's PDL team has a history that dates back to 1999 under two different names. As long as that franchise continues to play, its history goes with it.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No the owners of the Kraze PDL team joined the Orlando City SC ownership group. If you check out their ownership group page, they are the ones called Legacy Soccer Partners (LSP).
    http://www.orlandocitysoccer.com/club/owners/
    Okay. :)

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Not a merger of equals, but nice for them. I guess OCSC will have to decide what to do with the PDL team and deal with the potential Louisville situation at some point in the next 9 months or so.

22. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, gotta' throw my Michigan Bucks into this discussion: http://www.buckssoccer.com/home/781715.html

Six Bucks Headed to Major League Soccer
    Brings total to 55 former players moved to MLS
    "The Michigan Bucks were pleased to see six former players selected to move up to Major League Soccer and join their perspective teams in training at the end of this month.... The six players with Bucks connections brings the total to 55 former players that have been selected by Major League Soccer clubs.... star goalkeeper Steve Clark returns from Norway to join the Columbus Crew this season.... This year adds to the Bucks record of having a PDL player selected for the 16th consecutive season."

(P.S. I think the author had "Bucks" and "PDL" switched in that last sentence.)

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone's interested, standings for the PDL from 1996-2013, along with playoff results, can be found here.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Wichita is looking at entering PDL in 2015.

25. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the Wichita B52s PASL group?