General eredivisie thread 2012-2013

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 11, 2012.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He was at one point. Not anymore but back then he was. Yet even back then I would've called it insane if he'd moved to ManU.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Can I ask how many times you've actually seen Buttner play?

3. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    But you defended Ola John. You said he would never do what his brother did and leave at an early age and how he's not "a money grabber", but when he did leave you for Benfica.. you defended him and pointed at his price tag.

I'm sure you would've defended Brama as well.

4. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1/2 at most though can't say i was observing or noticing him much.

That's why i added if he is half decent as i have no real idea of his quality. With the situation we have at left back right now, say even Mikael Silvestre level of player would get decent game time.

Imo, he may be backup to begin with but certainly not someone who will never get to play, if we have scouted him reasonably.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I think it is utterly stupid that Ola left Twente. Insane even. I would also call him a money grabber. I'm not sure what your point is other than y0u trying to have a go at Twente.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Would it be fair to say that if Buttner has one bad performance for ManU he'd struggle to get back in the starting XI?

Here's the thing. I'm a Twente fan. The best player in the history of Twente is Bryan Ruiz. He's incredibly gifted technically and he pretty much won Twente the league. Yet he can barely get a game with Fulham. There's also Cheikh Tiote, who never got a starting place at Twente, but who's now outstanding at Newcastle, and ManU has even been connected with him. I have no idea how Buttner fits in with all of that. He's not particularly strong physically, like Tiote, and he's not particularly technically gifted, like Ruiz, either. The only quality I can think of when I think of Buttner is his grit. That really is about it.

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I was referring to this post of yours.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I still don't get it. Ola joined the Twente academy as a kid. Of course I wish him well, he's one of our own. That doesn't mean I agree with his career choices though.

9. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    You didn't lash out on him, that's all I'm saying. You call him a money grabber now, but didn't say that back then. I'm probably right when I say that Brama will get the same treatment.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Was Kagawa the German player of the year? He clearly fills a need for the club but I'm not sure that Van Persie does but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a 29 year old striker.

11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    They had to because City were also interested, it was either buy him for that amount or let him slip through their hands and join their, by now, fiercest rival. RVP and Rooney together upfront will scare a lot of defenses, I can see why they wanted him.

Marco, with the Dutch sounding name, Reus (means giant) was Bundesliga POTY.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Wout Brama and Ola John are Tukkers. I will always respect them regardless of the stupid things tey do. That Judas Luuk de Jong is an entirely different story.

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    o_O So because Ola is a home grown Tukker it's okay that he prefers money over loyalty. But a mercenary like De Jong you condemn? Do you understand how that makes no sense at all?

he so scrumptiouz repped this.
  14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Of course it makes no sense at all. I guess you're unfamiliar with the concept of feeling unconditional love for the hometown club you support.

ortevor repped this.
  15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't see how that is a response to what I just said.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Which confirms my previous post. You don't get what it means to support your hometown club and homegrown players. I wish Ola John all the best. Luuk de Jong can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care if you understand that or don't.

ortevor repped this.
  17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's true. I have no understanding, or respect for that matter, for hypocrites.

18. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    Interesting. Maybe Reus has Dutch ancestry (although it must be said that people living on the German side of the border speak a dialect similar to Dutch and this name could also come from that German part). The German word for "Reus" is "Riese" by the way.

19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    All the best for Buttner!! Although I honestly have no idea what he is on. Strange move, to say the least methinks. I am pretty certain you will never heard the name of Buttner anymore once he moves to M. Utd. He is well short of what's required playing in lower/mid table club in EPL, let alone for a top club like M.U. My guess is that he's a stop gap solution until SAF finds a top drawer candidate.

20. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I am not sure about this but I think there is doubt if Kagawa is the Player of the Season or it it Reus. Few weeks ago Reus got voted in a poll.

21. Michael Korleone

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Last I heard, Reus won the Bundesliga player of the year while Kagawa came 4th. I think Cevno is referring to the 'award' conferred on Kagawa by an independent blog site called bundesligafootball.co.uk. Link here: http://bundesligafootball.co.uk/2012/05/shinji-kagawa-player-of-the-year/

22. Michael Korleone

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Rafael da Silva wouldn't have played nearly 80 games for their club, then. Think of Johnny Evans and 6-1 loss at home to Man City. Rio Ferdinand and 4-4 draw with Everton at home during title chase. Players get more than one chance to prove themselves, albeit after going through their worst nightmare - Fergie's hairdryer in the dressing room. I won't be as pessimistic as you.

Cheikh Tiote is rated highly in England because he is extremely physical. I think only Lee Cattermole commits more fouls than Tiote and that is saying a lot. Eredivisie fans rate technical skills on the ball even for defensive players but in England, the sole job of DMs and CBs is to stop attacks. Talking of connection with Man Utd, a horde of players are linked with Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea in every transfer season. So I won't pay much attention to that.

Bryan Ruiz got plenty of chances after moving from Twente last season. He was signed on the last day and missed a couple of EPL games by then. He was a constant presence in Fulham team playing 27 league games (out of a possible 38) before his injury in the first week of April. He even played in their first game of the 2012-13 league season yesterday, a 5-0 win against Norwich.

Talking of Buttner, think of Gary Neville who became Man Utd's legend by just those qualities. His technique was the least when compared with his compatriots like Phil Neville, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, etc. He wasn't strong physically but he made it to the top through grit. Now I'm not saying Buttner will become another legend at Man Utd, but I'm solely arguing that he can become good and needn't be written off so easily.

Cevno repped this.
  23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Daniel de Ridder is back on the Dutch fields. The right winger will play for Heerenveen this season.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^joining Zuiverloon who was also on the U-21 championship side.

25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ, Twente, Feyenoord and Heerenveen got a spanking in the EL. Not good. Especially Twente had a horrible result as they lost 3-1 against the #8 of the Turkish League of last season.