General eredivisie thread 2012-2013

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 11, 2012.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This move will strongly improve his bank account, that's for certain. I personally think it's a great shame that this new generation of footballers seems to either completely overestimate themselves or just don't really like football. It seems to me that a young footballer would want to play first team football, as much as possible. It also seems to me that nothing can improve a young footballer more than getting first team football, even if that is in an inferior league. There are plenty of examples that prove that.

2. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Buttner was called up, but I think he got injured during the camp which is why he missed the 1st game against RKC in the play-offs final. Shame because we ended up with Bouma instead.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He regularly pokes fun himself at his lack of pace Orange14... I'm not disrespecting him or anything, he's clearly a great goalscorer. He's physically and positionally strong. Dynamic he ain't though.

4. Falcon_11

Falcon_11 Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He won't be allowed to play for Vitesse. There's no Dutch top club having an interest in him, or is there?

What else should he do?

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    So he's 23 and got called up once. Your point is?

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not criticising him for wanting to play for ManU. All I'm saying is that it's not a good career move. There's probably a load of Dutch clubs who'd love to have him. Ajax wanted him in an exchange deal with Janssen even.

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Sana is 23 and has never played for Sweden as well, is he a bad player? Stam was 24 when he played his first match for Oranje, van Bommel 23 and Ruud was 22. 23 is still considerably young.

8. Michael Korleone

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I don't completely understand your point, Ms. Neeskens. Are you accusing Buttner of moving to Utd solely for money and that he's going to be happy sitting on bench and collecting money? I don't subscribe to that view. I've already clarified that he is going to get lot more time on the pitch than you seem to anticipate. A month ago he was moving to Southampton (who played very well against reigning champions at their home today and bravely lost 3-2). Now, one of the biggest clubs in Europe comes for him and he knows the situation of Utd LB options this year. Don't you think it makes sense to move to a bigger and better club where he has decent chances of establishing himself?

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No I think ManU are insane to buy a player who's completely unproven on the international or even European level. We're not talking about a 17-year old here.

From Buttner's perspective, I can understand. ManU is a dream for most footballers. I just hope for his sake that he doesn't expect a lot of playing time.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We're talking about a left back HHS. You know how desperate the Dutch national team have been for a decent left back ever since Gio retired (and even Gio wasn't a natural leftback himself). Any half decent left back gets a chance with the Dutch national team.

11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    And so did Buttner, not his fault that he got injured. Pieters had LB on lock so it wasn't like we were desperate though, not until he got injured at least.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Oh come on HHS. Ruud van Nistelrooy was competing for a spot with Paddy Kluivert. Who was Buttner competing with???

You're intent on believing that Buttner is a superstar in the making. Fine, be my guest!

13. Michael Korleone

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Maybe Utd wanted to do a low risk deal which gives them options this season and also which enables Fabio to fight for his position from next season.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cynic in me is wondering if United's profile in the Netherlands has dipped in recent years? :p

15. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They're still one of the biggest clubs around, but I think their terrible European campaign last season has reinforced the general impression that they can't hang with the 'big boys' right now.

16. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Buttner was competing with 2/3 PSV players. Knowing that it's BvM and who he had in his staff and knowing that Bouma made the squad and even played at the EC it was still an impressive feat that he was considered.

Never said that he was a superstar in the making, but didn't van Wolfswinkel turn out good for instance?

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's safe to say that we think their transfer policy is insane!

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well like I said, your perspective is that you want to think Buttner is a superstar in the making. From anyone else's perspective it doesn't reflect well on Buttner that Bouma was favoured ahead of him. Again I hope you're right, we need a good left back. For now I think even Assaidi has a better chance of succeeding in the premiership than Buttner does.

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Why are you ignoring the fact that he got injured during the camp? Bouma was also favoured ahead of Viergever, is Viergever a bad player? Viergever who happends to be 23 as well.

Buttner & Viergever > Kuiper who you have hyped up so much, also 23. :p

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Kuiper has been injured for two out of the past three years, so it's pretty insane that you're bringing him up. And it's downright disrespectful that you're laughing at a player with that much bad luck.

Buttner is 23 and got called up once. He has never suffered from long term injuries. He has always played for a substandard team in the eredivisie (for five years!) and has no international experience and what, a couple of games of European football against inferior opposition. This isn't my opinion or anything, these are facts. As for my personal opinion, he caught my attention ONCE over the past five years, and that was in the Vitesse game where AZ could win the league. That's about it. Again if he can miraculously enormously improve as a player at ManU, great for Dutch football. It would be nothing short of a miracle though.

21. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I laughed at the coincidence that he's also 23. I know for certain that you wouldn't bring up his age should he been called up. Just like how Brama was 23 when he made his debut.

23 is such a wonderful number. :p

Brama was 23 when he got finally called up. He had never suffered from long term injuries. He had always played for a substandard team in the eredivisie (for five years!) and had no international experience and what, a couple of games of European football against inferior opposition*. This isn't my opinion or anything, these are facts.

*Twente played their only CL season in 2010/2011, Brama was called up in 2009.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You would get the very same comments from me if Brama had signed with ManU so I'm not quite sure what you're on about. And this while Brama has proven himself about a hundred times more than Buttner...

23. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Not sure if this is true, you were always going on about how Brama was overlooked and how him winning Gilette was a sign of belated recognition because "he's one of the best midfielders/players in Eredivisie".

24. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United fan here, and someone who said on here that he will only sit on the bench is false in his assesment.

If he is half decent, he will get plenty of game time, as Evra is declining over the past couple of years and we don't really have any other natural LB's. Only makeshift ones or young kids.

he so scrumptiouz repped this.
  25. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Along with Barca we have been the most consistent in europe over the past 5/6 years. Yes, last season was a blip but we only lost the league on goal difference and have since bought the English and German player of the years.

he so scrumptiouz repped this.