General boots question/review thread [6] - all questions/reviews pictures on any boot brand here pls

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Decency

Decency Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    These must be the boots your guy was wearing.
    Told you mate, the sondicos work every time. 100% more effective than roofies x

Attached Files:

2. Smoosey

Smoosey New Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I just ordered a pair of Ryal La Storias and Pantofola d'Oro Piceno Vitellos after doing a ton of research on the 6 handmade heritage brands that I know of: Panto, Ryal, Akuna Cinquestelle, RetroStar and Cruyff Sports.

Akuna Cinquestelle & Ryal boots seem pretty similar. Both use the softest, top quality k-leather or Italian calf leather. Both brands have a strong reputation for making the most comfortable, hand-stitched boots out of premium materials. These brands make very basic boots, that are not going to be as lightweight, experimental or flashy as modern Nike/Adidas/Pumas, but they are world renown for quality, durability and pure classic design. However, this is not to say that they perform poorly. Every review I've read rave over the comfort, responsiveness and build quality of Akuna & Ryal boots. If you are a fan of the look & feel of the Adidas Copa, you'll probably love Akuna & Ryal.

The Ryal boots all seem to have a bit of cushioning. Akuna has cushioned toe models, but also models like the Colibri & Piuma w/ a single piece of leather over the toe for more natural touch. Personally, I like a little bit of cushioning in the toe. I like the livelier response of a cushioned toe over the more sensitive touch of a single layer.

People report that both brands seem to fit a bit long. From what I gather, the leather used is very soft and has a tendency to stretch to fit your foot, and most reviewers recommend going 1/2 size down. Both are still very small, family-owned companies. I recently messaged the owner of Ryal on Twitter, and received a response within 15 minutes. Akuna has a shared history w/ Pantofola, but at some point they split ways and formed separate companies. Panto is a bigger, corporate entity now that is trying to expand it's non-footballing fashion line. Not sure how this has affected boot quality, but they still seem to have high standards, although some have reported a loss in quality. Pantofola has by far the biggest catalog of styles and colorways, including some really weird combos. Their popular Lazzarini model seems to be the most basic model.

I'll post more once I receive my Pantos & Ryals. I also plan on getting a pair of Akunas as soon as I can find a shop that is willing to ship to the US at a good price. It's nice to see interest for these heritage brands on this board from younger players. I'm 37, so I have a retro-leaning when it comes to boots. I refuse to be seen wearing bright neon orange boots w/ zebra stripes on them no matter how light they are!

3. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Realllly interested to hear what you think of the boots you're getting.

I had a whirlwind love affair with my Ryal Europas but that just got too scuffed when used on artificial turf. It was like deliberately taking the most beautiful albino platypus for a walk in a muddy field - absolutely heartbreaking.

Had to retire them. And the platypus.

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  4. Space bar

Space bar Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I love BS. It always has something funny.

5. Smoosey

Smoosey New Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've thought about that too. The white Pantos just arrived and they look like works of art. Nervous about scuffing them up.

The Ryals are AG sole and K-leather so they will definitely get scuffed on turf the first game I play on them.

6. AllanBhoy

AllanBhoy Member

Feb 5, 2013
    The Canadian Republic
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    General question:
    Do you guys use shoe trees for your boots?

7. asianboy

asianboy Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes

8. AllanBhoy

AllanBhoy Member

Feb 5, 2013
    The Canadian Republic
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Where did you get yours from?

9. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    I went to a local soccer shop to enquire about the evospeed 1 k, however the saleperson informed me those were an older model and did not have my size in stock. The newer evospeed model was a bit out of my budjet.
    Then, he recommended me these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Surprised that in the end i got a shoe that is 1.5 size down from my normal street shoes, due to advice from the salesperson.
    Have used these 2 times since. Im very surprised at how different soccer boots feels compared to normal street shoes. Firstly i got very painful blisters at the back of my heel, also i am getting heat spots? on the sole of my foot halfway throughout games. Is this normal and all i have to do is to adapt to wearing soccer shoes, i really hope so because i was expecting a much more comfortable experience.

10. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    1.5 sizes down is far too much imo. You should never encounter pain when wearing a boot, especially these days. It should be a dream to put on a new pair of boots.

11. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @rabbitTeeth - First off, great boots - absolutely top performer and a great colourway to boot.

As @rooster mentioned; that is big, big drop in sizing. However, as a wily street youth I used to wear massive cushioned skate shoes in a size 11. Nowadays I'll wear a 9.5/10 (depending on the brand) in football boots.

My point being, there's no reason there might not be that huge disparity in sizing if you've not worn a modern football boot before, but that is a very big drop in sizing.

The heel issues might settle down in time; the King has a very big 'heel counter' - which is the plastic section you see on the heel of the boot.

Additionally, the soles of your feet might be a little sensitive if you've not worn studs before - I'd normally suggest getting a pair of gel inserts for your boots, but it sounds like you're having a hard enough time fitting your hooves in there without more inside the boot taking up space!

When you play, does it feel like the tops of your toes are being rammed into the end of the boot?

12. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Rooster and GrassRouteOne for your great insights.

Regarding the choice of the boot, im an old geezer trying to pick up the sport and i went for a leather boot thinking that leather will provide more comfort then synthetics/plastics and i didnt really want anything to shouty.

Regarding the sizing of the boot, surprisingly having gone 1.5 sizes down, i still have some space in the boot, my toes are not squeezed to the end of the boot yet, there is still about a tiny weeny amount of space between toe and shoe and my foot still feels relatively snug in the boot. The pain comes in the form of blisters at the back of my heel and on my soles. There are these bubbly thing that forms on my heel and soles and i assume these are blisters. I have searched this forum regarding this issue and i read that once the blisters heal, the skin will be stronger, i hope this is true ya.

My ankles also get very tired or fatigued after some time in the boots. The way to explain it is that while walking back to the bench to take a break from the game, my ankle, especially the left one, seems very tired and heavy, and it seems that it will be at an angle instead of straight, and i seemingly have to drag my foot back. It recovers after a few minutes of sitting down though. I hope this does not do long term damage to my feet.

Although im very new to soccer/football, i have quickly developed an interest in it. My view is that this is the sport which is the least boring to do while trying to keeping fit. Therefore, any advices and inputs will be appreciated!

13. asianboy

asianboy Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mizuno

14. DoyleyBD08

DoyleyBD08 Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    How much more beneficial are SG boots than FG ones in England?

I always buy SG due to the English weather, but everyone around me seems to wear FG (I also think FG usually looks better with a boot).

Is this all down to personal preference?

Thanks

DoyleyBD08

15. AllanBhoy

AllanBhoy Member

Feb 5, 2013
    The Canadian Republic
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Ah ok. I've gone to Target, Walmart, and the likes (I live in Ontario) and can't seem to find any.

16. asianboy

asianboy Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    just check Amazon

17. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think some people think FG is cooler then SG.. well.. I go with the ground type myself, I would rather be able to run on soft grass then slide all over the place with FG.

Now a days everyone offers mix sole so you get the best of both and can get away with buying one pair of boots.

18. markdd2404

markdd2404 Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Darlaston
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't worn SG boots for years.

Last time I had some we had a really dry winter and they never got used so I didn't bother after that. The only times I've really been struggling for grip with FG is when the pitch has been a mudbath then FG/SG doesn't really make any difference.

Depends what standard you're playing at i guess, whether the pitches are looked after well enough that its actually going to make a difference.

19. DoyleyBD08

DoyleyBD08 Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Thanks for the responses!

That's what I liked about my Tunit's; I could change the studs depending on the weather.

May go for them again, or pick up a cheap pair of FG's and a pair of cheap SG's.

20. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

Well, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the boots you got aren't exactly leather boots per say. Its only leather on the fore foot, the rest of the boot is synthetic, which explains abit about why you do have some of these pains and blisters. If you are looking at pure leather perhaps the next boot you should be looking at would eb the copa mundials. Size wise I think you are safe, just give it a few wears and it should break in nicely, and get more comfortable. Football boots as a whole these days are usually quite comfortable out of the box save for some hot spots and heel rubbings due to individual feet.

21. Decency

Decency Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    are you wearing the boots barefoot without any socks mate? I wear two pairs of normal socks when breaking boots in and then just one pair afterwords. From what your saying, I don't think they're too big. Especially if there's a tiny bit of space between your toe and the boot. Can you upload a picture of you wearing socks and your shoes tied tight? Try describe how it feels.

22. Aaron_cf7

Aaron_cf7 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I live in Nova Scotia and I got mine from Sportchek.

23. rabbitTeeth

rabbitTeeth Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Hey Jayc23 and Decency thanks for your valuable inputs.

Jayc23, the salesperson did mention the addidas copas and i actually tried it on. I chose my current pair as it was on sale lol, and the addidas boot felt stiffer when i tried it on and it was more expensive then my current pair of shoes. There was someone who mentioned the nike tiempos, but those are way over budget. I was advised to look at top grade boots that came in leather by my mates. I am actually wore them boots in the shower today after i got home as advised somewhere on this forum and they are becoming more comfortable, i think, maybe physcological as i really want them to work out haha.

Decency, im actually wearing these with low cut ankle socks. I will try to wear double socks as per your advice in the near future and see how it goes. Appreciate your advice mate, any other advice to make my feet feel more comfrtable?

24. Decency

Decency Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    do not wear ankle socks when playing football mate, they're way too thin. if you play tennis and have tennis socks they are great for football. if not just get yourself a pack of sports socks and wear them. i get blisters at the best of times so i can imagine how uncomfortable yours are when wearing ankle socks mate.

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ha! You know what's funny, in the mid to late 90s, I used to think here in the US it was COOL to wear SG's. Weather here would rarely get wet or rainy....so sometimes I would wear screw ins just cause the pros wore them in South America/europe lol.

Stud pressure sucked...but I was young and dumb and didn't care lol. Only did it a couple of times, but wore them when it rained; my classic World Cups.

In retrospect, for my game I actually was doing more harm wearing screw ins because of how long and spaced they were, my ability to trap nice with the bottom of my feet sucked and I wasn't able to roll the ball well like you do in Futsal (which I do outdoors a lot) with long studs and messed me up lol.