News: General 2012-2013 Ligue 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'France' started by StarrMatthieu, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    It sucks there are no Totti's or Gerrard's in France, guys who stay with their clubs for life. In France that culture doesnt exsist. Debuchy would be a perfect guy for that to stay at Lille for life but like everyone else he wants to chase the Premier League dream. Guys in Italy dont care about that though if you've noticed. Maybe its because Serie A was always a great league so we shall see if that changes now that its slipping.

2. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it's also tradition. We can say that other than honestly the OM team of the early 90s (which really was before my time, but I did read/know about it later in hindsight), there never was a team where the desire to stay in France was greater than the allure elsewhere. Though maybe PSG now will change that. I could see an Areola (who today is just coming off a very good tournament with the France U-19), if he takes over the #1 from Sirigu which I think he will eventually, that he could stay at PSG for life. Though that is a good point about Debuchy, though the only counterargument that I have against that is he doesn't play a position that is as emblematic or influential as the other two players that you named.

Anyway I'd say in France the closest we have to a phenomenon like that is when a star player departs, but then comes back toward the end of his career to the same club with which he started or starred originally. Giuly I guess is one example. :unsure:

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    OM is a weird case. They say its the most popular club in France and players talk about how great it is to play there yet no one hardly ever stays longer than 5 years even during their glory years. They get players like Djibril Cisse who should have been OM for life and he didn't last long. Niang should have been OM for life but nope he was there 5 years and its time to get rid of him. I think in France they have to worry too much about "business interests" and other countries they dont and that might factor into it.

Giuly yeah expect now that they are mega rich they have no use for him and are pushing him out the door. :(

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    fyp. though you're right, there's more to it, even before the big money kicked in top french players would go to italy or spain because the leagues were better...

players left OM in those days too, JPP for one, who switched sides just in time to watch OM lift ol' big ears from the milan bench. and PSG will change nothing. the players they're getting couldn't find loyalty in the dictionary (though if the word was printed on the 500€ note...)

btw, ludo is lyonnais born and bred and played his first years right here.
    [​IMG]

5. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm well aware of that. I think he was among the first signs that I can remember that Lyon was beginning to develop a great academy (Govou, Kanoute, Malbranque, Brechet, etc.) even though if I remember it correctly I believe at the time he didn't get along with everyone at the centre.

What I meant with the earlier comment was that OM in the early 90s was an attractive place even with non-French stars, Waddle, Boksic, Abedi Pele, Voller. I think PSG now could easily have as good an attraction to others, especially given the exemplary caliber of Thiago Silva, Zlatan, Pastore and whoever else wants the cash.

6. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    savidan doesn't really count... if you want to go down the list of ballon d'eau fraiche candidates there are lots of guys we could consider in the same light.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Gourcuff: Paris Saint-Germain is a danger to world football

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lorient-coach-gourcuff-paris-saint-110800026--sow.html

Typical small time French mentality from a guy who's at a small club with no ambition. It would be nice to follow the German model I agree but forget that. Germany has large, full stadiums and France does not. Actually. Germany only has 1 club that could realistically win the Champions League and so does France now so yes they are indeed copying the German model. :D

10. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France

This is probably PSG' s last massive Summer spending. You've forgot about financial fair play. That's why they are going after all the big names this Summer. PSG has to become a major player in CL football this year, so it can increase domestic and international fanbases, before FFP really takes affect. OM and OL are getting big stadiums, they still have easily the two biggest fan bases in the country, and they'll big revenue increases. But PSG will've a ton room growth in revenue thanks them being in lone team Paris, so they should be able to play the massive wages of their players during ffp.

11. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Lyon has a bigger fanbase than PSG ? :ROFLMAO:

12. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, I for got PSG is tide with OL for second biggest fanbase. MLD inherited our club, so I shoudn't be that hard on her. FFP is make it impossible for teams who want to become the new Chelsea, City, PSG. Clubs will not be able spend and endure massive losses like in the past. So there should be many buyers when MLD sells OM.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Lyon are in worse shape that Marseille. The Velodrome is already being worked on and their fans will show up regardless if they have no money. Lyon could become another Nantes or Lens if they dont watch out. Youre telling your supporters to wait until the stadium is finished and then they'll spend money again well it wont be finished for a long while and by then they could be in L2.

14. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OM and OL should've much money when stadiums are completed. Remember, France already has a agency that looks at clubs books the Direction Nationale du Contrôle de Gestion (DNCG). I wonder what the DNCG has said to PSG. OL would've sell all of its veterans, and then It may not still relegated to L2. They still have one of the best club academy in Europe.

15. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon ain't gettin relegated anytime soon, you can count on that.

16. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    L'OM next signing [​IMG]

17. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Plus, there is a huge difference between Marseille and Lyon : OL will own their stadium not Marseille.

18. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, but we have much bigger fanbase, so OL should not have a fianacial advantage over OM.

19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG IS MAKING LIGUE 1 STRONGER ! across the board ! its going to whip alot of french players into shape when they fight Paris , its going to make alot of french players more hungry and break out alot more quickly ... Doors are going to open across the board thanks PSG And
    Qatar Investment Authority THANK YOU!

THANK YOU
    Nasser Al-Khelaifi

20. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OM, OL, and Lille need to thank Platini and UEFA. Financial Fair Play is going the change the fortunes of Ligue 1 more than PSG and QSI. I will PSG and QSI some credit, but they must win Ligue 1 and do really well in CL. Really OM and OL cash scrapped because of their stadium projects. Most experts think that FFP will limit big transfers, and major leagues will've to depend on domestic talent.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I know we have a lot of Les Bleus fans here who dont necessarily care what clubs the players play for but I am a Ligue 1 fan first and foremost and I dont like seeing a player like Debuchy trying to force a transfer to Newcastle. He wants to discover another league thats normal I guess but like I said before guys in Italy stay with their clubs for a long time and I dont see them in a hurry to discover another league. French players dont have loyalty or attachments to their clubs and this proves it. http://www.foot01.com/equipe/lille/...rester-a-lille-et-entame-un-bras-de-fer,91279

22. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    whats funny about what your saying is... psg is getting Serie A players to ligue 1 ! Monaco is doing the same for ligue 2 ! but i agree what your saying its good for some french players to stick around for a while cause its a tradition to leave after you "break out" which isn't all that bad but in terms of "big clubs in france" they are starting to keep players alot longer one can hope my friend

23. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if LILLE or L'OM or Lyon or PSG had a brain right now they should sign
    Jérémy Perbet world class player i know hes linked to Ac Milan right now could be called up for our national team pretty soon

24. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually if you look at the players psg is getting from serie a there not exactly the "one man club type"
    ibra has gone to several clubs, so has thiago silva, maxwell and motta
    lavezzi, pastore and menezes haven't had as many but they share 3 or more before joining psg
    verrati would be the real flip here since he is so young and has only played for pescara

25. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes and so far only one of the players they've signed, Sigiru, is actually a born and bred Italian. So it's not really the same as the Great French Talent Exodus.