General 2009-2010 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Pierre-Henri, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Marc Planus looks to be out for a few games. Big loss there. The back up fullbacks are pretty weak. Placenti, Henrique, Juretti ???

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    off to grenoble tonight for GF38-ASM, to check out the stadium and atmosphere while they're still in L1.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I read that GF38 is their 7th club name. If you ask me, their original name that they used from 1982-1977, Football Club de Grenoble 1892 was just fine. Why they changed it 6 times since then I have no idea.

Another thing I found interesting is that Grenoble has the only German playing in Ligue 1 but if I might be wrong on that I dont know.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gf38-ASM was a pretty pleasant match to watch and both keepers had to pull off some big plays. viviani had no choice but to go out and grab a ball outside the area; le crom had to make a fine claquette on the ensuing FK, it was a noght for keepers. nene was a real poison but grenoble used plenty of players on his side to keep him bottled up. park was absolutely useless; the only time he might have looked dangerous was on one of those long balls he's so good on, but he even beaten even to that. the best player imo was ljuboja, for a player with his past, who seemed ready to retire not long ago, that kind of effort for a doomed team is surprising. if they'd started akrour next to him they would have won.

generally when a club changes its name there's some underlying change in its statutes; sometimes it's a merger with another club, sometimes a reorganisation for financial reasons... grenoble has never been a power, my guess is that it was a juggling act just to keep the club alive until the japanese came in.

on their extended roster perhaps but playing? he wasn't in the program.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  6. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The league is very interesting this year. Montpellier hasn't dropped off like most would have predicted, and Auxerre have silently made a run for a top 3 spot. OL....no comment, and Lille seems to have lost a bit of that form that saw them embarassing everyone in their way earlier in the year. I think anyone who can predict the league standings come May deserves a million dollars.

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  8. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Henize....that's gotta be a joke right?

9. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Govou was earning 4.5 million a year and a half ago and was in the top 50 highest paid players in the world list. So I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are.

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    All Real Madrid players are over paid. In order to get him to come to Marseiile, you'd have to think that he wouldnt take a huge pay cut.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I think Bordeaux lost the title today. 3rd loss in a row. 2 starters out injured now (Chalme and Fernando) though Planus will be back. This was the type of game against the Nancys of the world that they usually win. This team is too tired and beat up but I think they can still hold on for 2nd or 3rd place.

12. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bordeaux still have two games in hand and have a relatively easy fixture list.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    True but I think they have given up. They arent as good without Fernando. Chalme is slow but the backups arent much better.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i agree with sport boy, he took the words right out of my mouth, errr, hands. the still have two matches, and their destiny, in their hands, but they are looking very, very flat. last night's match is their case in a nutshell; they had 60% possession and 4 times as many shots on goal and yet their defeat was absolutely logical. no imagination, no confidence, and no guts. exhibit 2, they played as much as possible of their A team despite having two irons in the fire this week... and to add injury to insult they came out of the match even weaker. fernando out on a stretcher and chalme and carrasso only finish the match because they have no more subs to make.

i disagree they have a weak schedule, there's only one easy match on it, they have to go to bollaert and the PdP, and there's only one match that brings its own motivation: the last key to their season at home against OL in 2 weeks. if don't beat lyon on the 17th, i wouldn't bet a penny on them to be champions.

15. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's difficult to understand how PSG is in 13th place right now, considering they've looked pretty good everytime I've watched them this year, which is always against the cream of the league. Definetly look better than 13th thats for sure. Currently beating Bordeaux right now, and are up one man due to Ulrich Rame being sent off.

16. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This third choice keeper for Bordeaux is playing out of his skin right now. Made high quality stops to keep GdB in this match a man down.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG have a thin bench and a mediocre coach. Thats why I think they are where they are. I really wish Auxerre would start losing since I hate them and dont wanna see them in the Champions League. I hope Bordeaux can hold on to at least 3rd.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'd rather see lille! this year's girondins could make another good run in the CL, but next year's squad may be considerably weakened.

not to wish ill on anyone, but if bordeaux were to happen to finish 4th, and w/o some or all of chamakh, fernando, trémoulinas, gourcuff, etc... finish in the middle of the pack next season they'd see how hard it is to STAY at the top when 1) everyone else is gunning at you all season long and b) important players get bought away every summer. all respect for their patient rise to the top, but they had it relatively easy before now. lyon's series of 7 titles won't be matched that easily.

lyon-lille yesterday was a very good match; a pity not to win but the performance doesn't bode ill for 6 matches left... the real problem for OL is how hack... hem... good OM looked last night (just managed to type that without choking). hard to see them dropping enough points to let anyone catch up now.

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I cant cheer for Lille because they will have to play their Champions League matches in Lens or Paris and that is embarassing in my opinion that they dont have their own decent stadium. I dont think there is a club in England, Spain, Italy or Germany who would have the same problem.

20. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Just goes to show how hard it is to stay on top in Ligue 1 year after year. This puts Lyon's amazing 7 consecutive titles into perspective.

I guess the new golden boy is Didier Deschamps after all. He was critized a fair bit even though this is only his first season in charge of the club and already he has gotten OM a trophy and is on the verge of winning them the title.

I always had a lot of respect for DD and wanted him to succeed Domenech in charge of the Les Bleus. I would have even taken him as coach at Lyon instead of Puel but that didnt happen.

21. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At least not one that would actually make it into the champions league. It happens to east european clubs all the time though.

22. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Bordeaux are really shitting the bed now. 9 points back now and only 1 game in hand. Marseilles will be champions.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Especially if OL beats them this weekend, they're finished. OL might be out of contention, but if we win out, who knows...

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I'm still hoping Bordeaux and Lyon get into the Champions League. If they draw this weekend and Auxerre and Montpellier lose I'll be happy.