General 2009-2010 Ligue 1 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'France' started by Pierre-Henri, Aug 14, 2009.

1. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I had forgotten that ASSE were down to 10 men, they played OM so evenly.

2. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Hey guys, could someone tell me how Montpellier got off to such a good start? Who are their star players?

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's just the thing: no stars. as often when a promoted side does well, it's on teamwork, not individuals. it doesn't hurt that they're an unknown quantity to their opponents... it's no coincidence that when a promu (like grenoble last year) does well it's usually at the start of the season, not the end. that said, they have some solid veterans on the squad: cyril jeunechamp is a rugged (well ok, brutal) defender, geoffrey dernis and romain pitau are serious midfield journeymen and souleymane camara and lilian compan are strikers with plenty of L1 games and goals under their belt. these are all workaday players whose heads have known enough hard times not to swell up because they're in the hunt for a european spot, and most of these were recruited before this season so the team has played together for a while.

4. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Montpellier does have a star player , Alberto Costa . He's capable to play for the top teams in L1 .

While they have solid players with Montano + Spahic . But ultimately it's their hard working displays that's helped them through .

Lille is 3-0 up vs Le Mans with 30 minutes gone . Scoring machine or what :eek:

5. Socratinho

Socratinho Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Thanks guys and I was just watching the highlights of that Lille game. Hazard is a real talent.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I read that Fernando from Bordeaux is close to signing with Genoa. Can someone explain this move ? He's played in a lot of Bordeaux's matches this year so I dont understand why they are selling.

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    $
    fernando's been concentrating above all on a big paycheck for over a year now. nice guy.​

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Looks like John Utaka will be the guy replacing Charlie Davies at Sochaux. I read that Kris Boyd from Rangers was a candidate but that seemed kinda far fetched.

9. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wouldn't it be a EURO sign not a dollar sign :p

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So I read today that Pavel Nedvěd might sign in Cannes so I'm wondering how they could afford to pay both him and Koller since they arent a professional team being in the National. I mean I think that only the teams coming right from L2 are pro and Cannes have been in National for a while now. The National should be a fully pro league anyway in my opinion and its a disgrace that its not.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    all players in national (D3) must be paid federal (not pro) salaries (a bit lower than minimum wage) and there are also primes de match; that said neither köller not nedved are likely in need of money and are signing at cannes the way i go to the parc de gerland sunday mornings... sunny retirement on the french riviera, (where köller lives already).

AS Cannes lost their pro status years ago but the prime location (and perhaps certain fiscal practices particular to that part of the world) allow them to keep a train de vie far above normal for an "amateur" club; the coach there is albert emon for example. they have stayed in national 9 years and that's hard to do: usually a club at that level is on its way either up or down.

the question of professionalism for national clubs is a complicated one. all players in national as i said must be paid fixed federal salaries and that already is a huge outlay for a club coming from the amateur ranks. it happens that a club refuses promotion because they can't swing it.at the other end, a club coming down from L2 can apply to retain pro status for 2 years but it's not mandatory and by losing your pro status you also get out from under all your pro salaries, the weight of which could force clubs to simply put the key under the door.

the main disadvantage to extending professionalism would be diluting an LFP pie that already is meager compared to the "big" nations. and i'm not sure just what the advantage would be to french football in general.

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thanks for clearing that up. It does seem a bit complicated.

13. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nevertheless I'm convinced that the only future will be to transform the National into Ligue 3. ;)

Did you know that some TV rights of this league had been bought, for the first time ever ? They were included in a package with the French U21 NT and the Women NT. However Direct 8 was not interested so they resold them to France Television. I'm pleased with that. 5 matchs will be shown until the end of the season. I'd rather see the service public broadcasting a Cannes-Paris FC or Rouen-Luzenac than see my taxes fattening the Premier League millionnaire scums (they bought the FA Cup...).

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The Winter transfer window is closed. Lots of interesting rumors but not much action. For me the morst interesting thing was Rennes trying to get Ederson or Remy. They bid 15m for Remy, wow thats a lot for a team such as them. I thought for sure Ederson would go to Lazio but OL wouldnt allow it. No moves for OM or PSG. PSG I'm not surprised since they have no money and tried to get some loan deals but I though OM had a back up move after the Mancini failure. Other than OL getting Lovern, I thought Lille made the best move getting Ricardo Costa from Wolfsburg. Montpellier getting Giroud would be the 3rd best signing IMO.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    apparently lazio offered nothing but hot air for ederson. rennes was going to make a real offer for him but that was complicated by the rémy situation. btw, their 15M€ offer for him was probably also smoke, trying to get OL to shell out more than they wanted to apply their preemption clause. it's likely (well possible) that loïc will come back to lyon, but only this summer and not for quinze briques.

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Montpellier better start losing soon. Amazing that they are currently 3 pts. behind Bordeaux.

17. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well this is what we've been waiting for. Montpelier v. Bordeaux, let's see what they are truly made of.

18. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    God Bordeaux is disgustingly lucky. Probably should have had 2 reds in the first half.

19. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Head in hands on the two penalties. Really terrible to miss both. They weren't bad penalties, either, just great goalkeeping.

Allez les pailladins!

20. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Haha I love how Canal+ keep showing the replay of Wendel being kicked in his junk.

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    The top 6 is so tight. The only decent amount of seperation is from 6th to 7th (6pt. gap).

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but don't forget girondins have 2 matches in hand...

all in all MHSC-FCGB saw the best result possible for the clubs chasing them (who also all drew this w/e). a minimum of points, both teams probably leaving the field regrets: montpéllier's confidence definitely looking frayed around the edges and bordeaux letting in a heartbreaker in the last minute... and ciani getting a week's vacation. the icing on the cake would have been chalmé getting the hook as well, would have been well deserved, but with the biscottes he picks up he'll be getting a suspension soon too.

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In all my reveling I almost forgot that Bordeaux just LOST one of their matches in hand. Great news for the teams in the hunt for the title. And les girondins still have to play Lyon and Lille again.

24. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Auxerre seems to have find their form again .

I guess the winner of this seasons championship isn't a blow out as I thought it would be .

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and the ladies crushed torres in the home leg of their CL quarterfinal. i'm going to be giggling myself to sleep for about a week after all that happened yesterday!