Gedion Zelalem to Arsenal

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Clichyftw, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Clichyftw

Clichyftw New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Per Goff:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/arsenal-takes-look-at-gedion-zelalem-a-14-year-old-ethiopian-german-living-in-washington/2011/08/21/gIQAAbl5UJ_blog.html?wprss=soccer-insider

Has been a regular with the U-14 National Team
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-14-National-Development-Program/2010/07/Boys-ID-Camp-Begins-in-Concord-Mass.aspx

2. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joining Arsenal, huh?

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A 14-year-old German with Ethio**pian roots and a U.S. green card who lives in the Washington area might have a future in England.
    The family moved to the United States five years ago and settled in the Washington suburbs, where Gedion’s father works as a medical technician. Neither is a U.S. citizen. Gideon holds a German passport and speaks German fluently. He did attend a U.S. youth camp in California this year. However, because he is not naturalized, he is unlikely to become eligible for the United States in the near future.

His father would like him to represent Germany and has been working to make the German federation aware of his son’s ties.

“It’s my dream,” said Zelalem Woldyes****. Gedion’s mother died in 2005 and Woldyes has since re-married. “I want to say thank you to the country that helped me. I’m grateful to Germany.”

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And from the article, it seems like he has ZERO intention of playing for the US in the long-term. It's pretty clear that he hopes to get in the door with Germany.

5. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the chance of this guy ever representing the US is nil........

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? A 14 year old who is going to Arsenal. There is a million things that could happen that changes things.

1. Germany doesn't want him. Shocker but it could happen.

7. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose, but I wonder why a kid who isn't even an American is a regular on our youth squads? If were gonna have U-14s then the kids we call up should be citizens and actually wanna play for the full team in the future. Kinda strange.....

Guinho repped this.
  8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not strange if you see big picture. Talented Young player living in US for many years with Green Card seemingly on a path to citizenship. What better way to introduce, recruit, schmooze, convince the player and his family to get citizenship and if all works out play for US. We don't have a crystal ball for the future and can only act with the information we have now. There is no regular on U14 US teams. It hurts no one if he gets US citizenship and only helps in his options and the US Program if he develops into a top pro.

9. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand that reasoning, but I don't really agree with it. I think only American kids should be afforded the opportunity to be called up by US youth squads. Better we give the exposure to them than some opportunist/merc who rather represent some other country. Perhaps it matters little at the U-14-15 level though........

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think you're making a black and white statement where there are only shades of gray. Who says they'll never be a citizen. Who said they would rather represent other nations, who said they are opportunistic. Do you want to cut Torres, Castillo, Doyle, Salgado. If you want born in US only then our pool will be cut in half. The complexity of International soccer is too detailed to get into here.

I just don't think that making dual citizen 14 yr olds to make a life long decision is alittle dreconian if you ask me. No one has. You must sign this document to declare your future to the United States of America. You can not entertain the thought of ever playing for any other future national soccer team. If you every become a US citizen or become real good we don't want you because you didn't declare when you were 14 or immediately when you became a US citizen. The real world of International soccer isn't as easy and yes or no for a 14 yr old. I think that would drive more players away that attract.
    The world of soccer has changed and want it or not many very good young players are either dual citizens or long time residents of the US. I want them to at least have a chance with those who develop and not be short sighted 6 yrs ago wanting them to declare for us. Getting involved in a positive manner as early as possible with players will help attract the best. Can you imagine a scenario where a very good 13 yr old who is not yet a citizen gets ignored due to your moral rule then gets US citizenship at 18 and we never had a positive interaction with that player. Not good.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of his hopes if he want to have some options....What really matters if he has a chance to play for the U.S is that his parents start the citizenship process for him right away.

12. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any problem with calling up dual nationals. I've got Mexican heritage myself so I can understand kids considering other nations they're eligible for. I just don't agree with calling up foreigners like this kid. This kid is not American and has already made noises about representing Germany. This one seems a clear cut case to me.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    To make a final decision on any 14 yr old in my mind is short sighted. You may be right about this one, now but the future may hold a very different set of information. Things change, conditions vary, situations ebb and flow. You act like we will know everything today that we'll know in 5 yrs. My point isn't about this player in particular.
    Are kids who have a green card and are permanent residence with the future possibility of becoming a citizen when they are in their teens, are they 'foreigners'? I don't see it as plainly as you do, it hurts absolutely no one if we court possible future citizens. If we don't get them or lose them in the future it hurts no one. I just don't think we have to wait until the day they get citizenship to make overatures.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where the Klinsi wildcard comes in, which no one knows for certain will help or how much it will help. Will German/American youngsters based in Germany, put more consideration towards playing for us now that Klinsi is the coach?

I think it might sway some kids. At least the kids who probably won't be German starting XI quality. So it's too early to tell with this kid. He could be a very good prospect, and end up being a very good player who still can't break through at Germany, or even get senior team consideration, in which case we are a great 2nd option.

CapeCodFutbol repped this.
  15. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, OK. In the end I just don't want our national team to be populated with mercs with only tenuous ties to the United States. If this kid eventually becomes a citizen by living here and wishes to represent the US I don't really have a problem with that. I just don't want to see another Subotic......

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    hmm, i believe this might be the U-14 US National Development Team kid,Both Chelsea and Aston Villa were after, if not it was another African rooted kid can't remember at the moment.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    13/14 year old mercernaries? [​IMG]

you need to sort yourself out, lol

18. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't referring to this kid when I mentioned mercs.

19. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If he really signs for Arsenal, then it's only a matter of time from then on until Germany calls him up for their Youth Teams.

Guinho repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The US recently has gotten into the habit of bringing elite youth talents like Diego Fagundez into their U14/15 programs despite being ineligible to represent the US. Bryan Leyva was called into several US camps. It's a way to let the kids know they're wanted by US soccer, and they should start the citizenship process.

There's literally no harm in it. Many of these U15 camps have a ton of kids at them.......so the foreign-born kid isn't "taking the spot" of a US-eligible kid.

We may not end up getting Zelalem or a few other kids in this position..............but if we manage to pick up a couple of them than it's worth it. If we had gotten Andy Najar to one of these camps, and convinced him to start his citizenship process a year earlier.........he might be playing for the USMNT today.

TheFalseNine and Guinho repped this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    More like three years earlier, no?

23. SecludedMonkey

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it doesn't really matter at the U-14-15 level. As for Najar, the kid is 100% Honduran. I get the feeling he was gonna play for them no matter what....

24. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    European federations are doing the same. They invite players to U14/U15 camps who aren't eligible (yet) but might become eligible one day. Happens all the time...

25. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Update: The German federation is aware of the player. It's just not sure yet whether they'll invite him now (would be the first German youth player ever from a US club to be invited) or actually wait for him until he plays in England.