Garber: MLS has a Harvard Business School plan for MLS to be 1 of the top soccer leagues by 2022

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by patricksp, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am shocked that your shocked he's shocked.

carnifex2005 and Hachiko repped this.
  2. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here on BigSoccer, we're not happy till you're not happy.

Take that, Reel Big Fish.

3. salmacis

salmacis Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Oxford, UK
    Of course, if it was possible to sign the best players in the world, revenue would increase. The problem is that revenue would still not match that generated by the likes of Europe's elite. And the reason is simple. The average Spanish or English sports fan is much more likely to watch matches, and thus pay to subscribe to a sports channel showing the soccer than your average American sports fan. That's a no-brainer - soccer is the number one sport in Spain and England, and it isn't in America. Would having a domestic league with some of the world's best players change that state of affairs? No.

Slow and steady is the only way to sustainably grow, without bankrupting the league. The TV numbers for the MLS final remain depressingly low, and that was a match which included Beckham, Keane and Donovan (maybe not worldbeaters, but all very very good players.) I actually agree that MLS needs to spend more to raise its profile, but I cannot see how aiming to compete with the best of Europe is a realistic or sensible aim. Organic growth, build the TV numbers, build the attendances bit by bit.

M and SYoshonis repped this.