Garber: "He's Talking with 3 Potential Investors for NY2"

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by NDfootballer7, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NDfootballer7

NDfootballer7 Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    At tonight's US - Ecuador friendly, DG was in his luxury box at Red Bull Arena with potentially up to 3 new investors, who are not Kemsley & Co., for NY2.

Any speculation out there at to who these mystery investors could be?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...ner-don-garber-if-we-can-build-the-stadium-we

http://twitter.com/#!/nypost_lewis

More mysterious Middle Eastern or Russian investors? Any domestic billionaires interested in shelling out the cash to revive the Cosmos, or at least start an NY2 team (think NY Titans?)?

2. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will support whatever the NYC franchise ends up being, but if given a choice between the Cosmos branding and not the Cosmos branding, I would choose Cosmos branding hands down. Hopefully, if the eventual owners aren't the current holders of the Cosmos name and history then they'll look into acquiring the rights.

I mean, I'll be happy so long as there's a team, but in a perfect world....

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nailed it

4. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Here's a follow up to this story through the New York Post:

"...MLS commissioner Don Garber was at the game, hosting three potential investors for a second New York expansion club in his box…and none were from the New York Cosmos group, which has undergone some ownership changes. He wouldn’t commit on how the Wilpon family’s court case impacts their interest, but said Randalls Island has come into play as a possible site..."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/socce...ffe_lead_OsmUuVvR6mgucJhFNZni1I#ixzz1aZ1izLDZ

5. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's amazing that three groups which must include multi-millionaires and possibly billionaires are sniffing around NYC#2 and yet no information whatsoever has leaked out about who they are. The Cosmos group definitely aren't getting in now though, this is about as big a snub as Garber could have given them, hopefully the brand will be bought by whatever group suceeds but NYCFC wouldn't be a bad second choice or even delving back into the past and taking some of the rejected names for the Mets like the New York Skyliners or whatnot. I don't buy into this idea that simply because they're the Cosmos they'll thrive, Big Soccer fans are a hardcore bunch at the best of times and don't really reflect the greater public. I think if the team is run well, placed in a good location and well marketed it'll draw well regardless of whether they're the Cosmos, NYCFC or the New York Gatorades.

6. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The Cosmos group really needs to make a statement now, they let Garber make the statement for them and that's just BAD! The silence from that group turned out to be BAD and for one thing i am very disappointed. I got into this to root for the Cosmos, if the Wilpon's own this team there not getting my money, they ruined my beloved Mets with there bullshit.

7. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Come on the NY Metropolitan Soccer Club..

:D

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not going to defend the Wilpons, but you clearly aren't old enough to remember what the Mets were like prior to Sterling-Doubleday's purchase of the team.

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the the "Cosmos" name, which I imagine would now cost at least $10M, is not going to be there on the new team, that will be a marketing problem. "Big Apple USA" won't get it done.

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we started our group - i was one who wasnt a fan of bringing back the Cosmos - i figured starting something new etc.

However, the past 2 years seeing the power of the brand and getting emails from all over the world about the return of the Cosmos - i mean we already have people ready to start chapters in England, Germany, Italy and Australia. We werent getting that when the rumored name was NYCFC.

I always knew how awesome the Cosmos were (i was too young to see them live) but I never realized how important their brand still is.

Even if its not the PK group, Garber should put all the groups together and work it out to get them back.

11. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    I agree 100%...From here, the Cosmos group must make an announcement to the fans: Are they in or are they out? Their silence is not only casting serious doubts in the whole project but their credibility as well. As per the Wilpons, I have written them off since their legal problems started.

12. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep - they need to tell us the plans - just come out and say - look - our main group cant get it done but we will try to sell the brand

13. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    All I'm begging from the Cosmos group is for them to break their silence... Please tell us that the brand is still alive. This must be done ASAP. Their silence is adding more to a bad public relation.

14. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't care who it is.

just get a team and stadium in queens.

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Ditto.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    lol.

17. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will likely support whatever the NYC franchise ends up being, but if given a choice between the Cosmos branding and not the Cosmos branding, I would choose not the Cosmos branding hands down.

The weight of the glitz and glamour and nostalgia and especially the organizations responsibilities to the brand make it likely the Cosmos end up being RB 2, only without the crappy soda.

18. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Since my last post was deleted, i will put it this way your have no clue.

19. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For once, I'm completely in agreement with you. There's simply no way for the club to live up to the nostalgia factor; they could go out and sign Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar...but they'd still be an MLS club, bound by MLS rules, and playing in a God-forsaken soccer federation.

20. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Here's the latest from Soccer by Ives:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/10/garber-talks-schedule-expansion-and-more.html

Here's the latest from Cesar Diaz Bleacher Report:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-potential-ny-investors-impact-the-ny-cosmos

"...None of those investors were from the New York Cosmos either. “We’ve talked to them (Cosmos), I don’t know if they are involved,” expressed Garber to the Press at halftime. “They’ve got some things that they’ve got to work out in their ownership group. As I’ve said before, they’ve done a great job of building their brand and when we’re ready to get that team launched if they want to be a part of that, we’d be happy to talk with them...”

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So basically Garber is saying - they have some housekeeping to do - and that there is still an option but they need to get their shit together.

"We get a stadium built, we'll have no problem getting an ownership group for that team, so whether it's one group or it's a combination of groups, the stadium is the key to a second team in New York."

This is a comment that sticks out to me.

Still leaving the door open for all these parties to work together. Just the politics of the stadium

YES there is room to build it - thats not the problem, its POLITICS

The thing about Randalls island - Garber said yes but said he still would love it to be around Citi Field.

Which is not new - it was almost like he is trying to divert the attention away from Flushing Meadows a bit.

22. auschr

auschr Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I would ABSOLUTELY love if it the second NY team wasn't Cosmos. Can't stand their whole brand attitude. It's soccer not Mcdonalds.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Like it or not, every soccer team in the world, now even Barcelona, are "RB2 without the crappy soda". The Cosmos just happen to do it well.

24. Luis_Rancagua

Luis_Rancagua Member

Apr 16, 2000
    I do think that the Cosmos should break their silence now and come-out openly with their intentions. Remaining silent in this situation is not helping out at all. Their fans are starting to lose faith in them. What's also at stake here is the dishonoring of the Cosmos brand. Please talk to us...at least give us a sign.

Furthermore, if you read the latest articles from Soccer by Ives and the Bleacher Report, you get the sense that Garber describes the new Cosmos organization of not being very organized. What the hell is going on there??? These were Garbers words at the halftime press conference yesterday

25. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So you still think the Mets were better off in 1979 than they are now?

Yes the team has sucked the last few years and Yes the Wilpons are at best mediocre owners in MLB, they are alot better than what the ownership had declined to by 1979.