Garber disses Tampa market

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Feb 26, 2012.

1. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I disagree with you. It does matter. True "fans" support their hometown team in person. Not by not going to games.

Rays fans always complain about The abundance of red sox fans at the warehouse in St. Pete. Well, man up Rays fan. Buy tickets. Go to the games. Support your team so you can keep us rival fans stay at home. That's what supporting your hometown team is all about. Not letting us rival fans out number your own fans.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but the attendance argument is thrown out the window if Bucs made more money last year than any other year by putting out a shitty team. ( Forgot about the ManU factor)

Rowdies probably saved more money at AL Lang last year than their inaugural year.

I'm not fan of those sports, so I don't care about Rays or Bucs or Lightning

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/tampa-bay-rays/2011/6/3/2204501/tampa-bay-bucs-rays-owners-attendance

So one basic solution: scrap home games on tv. only away games on tv.

3. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    E, do you realize the bucs lost money last year? They had a 10 game losing streak. All their home games were blacked out. How did that team make money when a 65,000 seat stadium was filled with less than 20,000 people? It wasn't parking. It wasn't paid attendance. And it wasn't certainly the new cap and tv deal that was in place, so where did the money come from?

Also: you have to show home games. Just black out locally. Bucs fans are used to that.

And maybe the Rowdies did save money last season. We'll never know though bc they aren't disclosing any information publicly. And Its all speculation/hearsay until the team decides to disclose that information in a public manner.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Buccaneers attendance at Raymond James Stadium during the 2010 season fell 22% versus the previous year, to an average of just 49,314 per game, the second-lowest in the NFL. The team continues to be wildly profitable because of low player costs.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers_306470.html

So in 2010 their revenue was $236 million and in 2011 $235 million, so basically they lost a million which is a drop in a bucket for them.

5. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rowdies was serious about MLS, the front office could always do a 12k season ticket drive to attract a deep pocket investor, sponsors, and respect. Al Lang seems like a perfect spot for an MLS stadium like Jeld Wen Stadium.

Soccer fans are very loyal to their club when the support is organic like Timbers Army, Sons of Ben, and Ralph's Mob.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put more than 3,003 butts in the seats for the playoffs (less than half what we did for our lowest-attended playoff game), and we'll talk.

7. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I bet you the number changes if the bucs went out and spent money.

8. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    All very true. But there's no way we can get 12000 unless we start winning, and the FO starts aggressively marketing the team.

9. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    True. 3,003 is a pathetic number to me. ALF should have been sold out for that playoff game. I, for one cant talk smack to OC$C bc the games I went to had solid attendance.

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So just wondering for those who attend both franchises who are you going to support when Rowdies play Lions in USOC? The team that wins.....;)

11. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I'll always root for the Tampa Bay Rowdies. COYR.

But I would love to play OC$C anytime. Open Cup would be even better.

12. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's pretty bad. I lived in Tampa until about 5 years ago, and remember when the attendance was terrible. Lived there about 22 years.

If they keep losing, Tampa fans will go away. Most fickle sports town I've ever lived in, well, next to a few other Florida cities. Nothing you can do about it, because everyone is from somewhere else, and team loyalties are hard to give up. I never gave up New Orleans Saints for the Bucs, even when they changed out of their ugly orange uniforms and people started actually following their team.

But, I'm real hopeful for the Rowdies. I'm real excited about them getting their name back. I just remembered I can watch their games online, can't wait to follow their progress this year. Sucks we lost the Mutiny, but, with the Rowdies, it could eventually turn into something big. Practically everyone I know in the Tampa Bay area that is my age was a fan of the Rowdies. I know there is a core group of people who enjoyed those games, it's just getting them to go to sporting events.

I hope yall support the team and prove to MLS that Tampa deserves a team. Some day I might just move back, because I miss Florida, and all my friends. Would be great to have the Rowdies to go back to.

13. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Most fickle for me too. I grew up in Boston, went to college in Miami and ive lived here for 15 years. Fans are terrible here. I wish it could be better.