Garber’s annual State of the League conference call, 4pm 11/26/12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 26, 2012.

1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sepp will be out of office soon and someone with another agenda will have something else to say.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How is attendance of LFL compared to other football leagues for women? They even have a television contract. WNBA needs to watch out for the BBA.:p

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they pick Platini, it won't be an improvement.......

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Platini will reduce the number of Fifa dates so I beg to differ. He seems smart enough to understand the one size fits all solution doesn't work for UEFA, let alone the entire world.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Assuming he wants the job (which I'm not sure if he does or not) , he will most likely use his power to never allow replays and will probably change or object to the new (replay) plan FIFA has in effect.

6. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Funny to say "beyond Brazil". We are hosting a World Cup, but our soccer calendar runs from February to November. The recent experience shows that, in World Cup years, the national league just stops for 30 days.

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Let us not strike down one of his few good ideas please.

looknohands, falvo and sitruc repped this.
  8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. A quick Google image search of "volleyball shorts" will reveal the quality of the idea.

looknohands repped this.
  9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't see what are you talking about....
    [​IMG]

;)

Hachiko, falvo, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is winning something "after the fact" the same as actually winning something?

11. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, we can go through a debate about how meaningful having the highest regular season point total is, except we had that debate on the NAS listserv in 1996 and 1997. In any case, the competition rules had been settled and the trophy had been commissioned in 1998. Of couse the supporter community was knowledgeable about the Shield, but Phil Schoen mentioned the trophy in broadcasts. Doug Logan contributed, so he knew about it, but I clearly recall that Galaxy front office and players were also made aware of it-- I remember hearing that Dan Calichman in particular thought the whole thing was really cool.

So no, while the Galaxy may have received the trophy "after the fact," the Supporters Shield competition per se was already established.

Seems like you should know all this. But thank you for your snark.

profiled repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Most of the debates I had on Nas listservs back in '96 were about Mr. Jones being a much better rapper and lyricist than Jay-z and Jay's ever changing style and story. I thought Doug Logan and them were still adding to Tupac and Biggie even after the death of 'Pac. I don't remember them talking about competition back then.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure, it was being discussed on the NAS list and Soccer America Graffiti boards and maybe even the old metroboards (Thanks, Huss!)

But I can't remember any sign that any of the teams/players/coaches were aware of it until that rain-soaked mid-season halftime at the Rose Bowl when it was presented.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

15. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting article about Orlando expansion plans and amazing rendering of the possible home stadium of the Orlando City Lions. Orlando City announced that they are still targeting 2015 as a start date to join MLS. Club president Phil Rawlins stated that MLS has told them that the proposed second team in the New York City market is no sure thing, and Orlando City even showed some early renderings (link below with rendering) of what their proposed 18,000-seat stadium would look like.

Stadium rendering: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12...or-mls-start-arsenal-eliminated-and-more.html