Garber’s annual State of the League conference call, 4pm 11/26/12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Actually, no, not at all. He was banned because he GAVE bribes (or at least facilitated the giving of cash bribes).

And what does that have to do with anything?

blacksun repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuck all that, I really want a better Pacific Cup tournament (Hawaii Invitational), I would just replace the A-league team with a CSL team.

Shit expanded to include other winter league teams, just do not ask me to pay for it :p

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No big deal. It really doesn't have anything to do with anything but since someone mentioned Jack Warner, I believed he was out of the game due to some type of bribery scandal therefore, I just thought I'd ask. Didn't realize it was such a sore subject, my apologies.

4. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    No worries - just setting the record straight. Not a sore subject at all, but I thought you were insinuating something with your post. Didn't realize you were simply going off topic...

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You apparently are unaware how much that will impact ticket sales. Because a team that starts out with 3-4 road games and some byes is going to have a couple of stretches of 3 home games in a row.

And for what????????? It's like nobody has ever done a cost benefit analysis.

Jasonma repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't worry about OPM. But Garber does. That's why he's where he is and you are where you are.

Jasonma repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Then if that is the case, why was it Garber the one who suggested that they play indoor to comply with FIFA's wish to have MLS play a Fall-Winter -Spring schedule? I'm not saying fans or anyone else has to like it but this is the route they are taking so sooner or later they won't have a choice either way.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I assume it was an argumentum ad absurdum. . . that is, playing indoor is so preposterous that it was hoped that all would see the folly of the assumption that underpinned it. Sort of like how, when reacting to the 1.2 billion degree weather in Qatar in the summer, the topic was floated of just waving a wand and rescheduling the entire European football calendar (along the lines of MLS, interestingly enough) so as to play the World Cup in the winter instead. Presumably this was actually meant to demonstrate how preposterous it is to play a World Cup in Qatar in the first place.

profiled repped this.
  9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Aren't you one of the ones who disagreed with Garber expanding to early March 2-3 years ago when it started mid-March? saying too cold? I agree with Garber expanding to early March is the first step.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Like it or not the World Cup will in fact be played in Qatar most likely during their hot summer months. Still , I just mentioned this idea that the league or rather 2-3 teams initially play 2-3 games indoors but it was our great fearless leader Don Garber who came up with the plan initially. Do you mean you dare call the great Don absurd for suggesting the idea that the league play indoors if they switch to a Fall-Winter-Spring schedule? May the Lord help you for going against our famed commissioner! Maybe you should email him and see if you get a response? He has answered me on occasion so don't see why he wouldn't respond to you.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speak of the devil! The Don just went on FSC and spoke once again about the league moving to an international schedule and/or lengthening the season.....

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the "international schedule?"

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You seriously never heard of FIFA's international schedule? Or how Sepp Blatter has wanted Major League Soccer to align its regular season schedule with the FIFA calendar, saying “it would be better for US Soccer” for the domestic league to align itself with Europe’s schedule? Sepp has been harping on this forever.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like you don't even see how you defeat your own argument.

blacksun repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, European schedule is not the FIFA calendar.

There are FIFA international match windows that MLS is trying to respect, but there is no FIFA international schedule for league games.

Hill Giant repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what is your argument? I mean these are the exact words that Garber said and used with Rob Stone on FSC. Maybe you should take it up with him?

However you word it, that is the route that he is taking and schedule he wants to go to and these are the exact words Garber used "an international schedule". Surprised no one else saw the show.

17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS can easily, in fact it is, conform to the Fifa calendar without changing to a Fall start. I have never had a problem with moving a bit earlier and a bit later. I have been skeptical, but in high season ticket markets I think it can work. From a practical perspective, March to December makes more sense. If there is going to be a mid season break, a 30-45 day summer break is probably more manageable than a 60+ day winter break. I do not think we should ever have a season break that exceeds the length of the close season. That just doesn't make sense.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Quakes had 3 weeks off between matches from May to June this year and another two in October. Although, I'm not exactly sure if taking a break is good or bad though for the clubs.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The assumption is that it is good for the business the league not to be playing (too many or any) league games when players are away from their clubs due to FIFA mandated international call-up periods.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agree with this.

But at times MLS has opted to do things that just "don't make sense" (to numerous observers).

If there are (significant enough to overcome the costs of doing so) business advantages to moving their post-season to late-spring, the league could very well have no issue with creating a summer off-season that is comparable to or longer than a mid-season winter break. (it wouldn't be a huge stretch or challenge for MLS to use the scheduling windows that the Austrian Bundesliga has in place -- if MLS wanted to try to do that with their business.)

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I know. I'm not really against it I'm just wondering if being away so long makes teams flat when they resume play. I know it kind of hurt San Jose at the end.

22. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International calendar could mean a 12 month long season with no breaks except for FIFA dates. I posted a thread around 2009 when Argentina, Brasil, England's 2nd division, amongst others played games on a WCQ date and asked why? People strangely believe only MLS would do that...Only a corrupt and mentally challenged Moron would think MLS is in a position to go to a fall to spring schedule. Might as well just go with two seasons a spring and a fall. I get very tired of people thinking that because its done in Europe that's how it should be...especially when the colder countries in Europe do not do the same schedule as the warmer ones. To be like Europe Toronto should have to play Spring to Fall while LA and Houston play fall to Spring. Any other option is anti-Europe.

Jasonma repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, what schedule does Garber want and what did/does he mean when he said he wants to go to an "international schedule"? I'm not arguing , I am just curious to know what he meant by that?

24. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking he meant international calendar because he's mentioned that dozens of times before. A simple question to ask as well. Our season ended Dec 1, how do you switch to fall Spring? Start one week earlier every year for 20 straight years? That would move us close to September, but you can't just go, okay next year we are fall to spring...we won't play this season! Also you'll know MLS is serious about it when they stop signing people through December and change that to June 30th. The logistics take time and will be obvious.

25. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    And I like how you said that he brought it up again, as if he said something about being positive about it. Iirc, I believe the gist of his latest statement is, "not bloody likely!"

So yes he talks about it (and for the record, I think he is talking about the fall to spring schedule, although his words are a bit inelegant), but he doesn't really say much positive about it.