Garber’s annual State of the League conference call, 4pm 11/26/12

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    LA won the Supporters Shield in their third season (1998) and it wasn't even close.

uclacarlos repped this.
  2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I don't mean stagnant as an insult to past glory, but rather to be reflective of current situation---in a stadium of their own, middling attendance, competitive but not looking to spend big, neither a disaster nor a flagship, wild card potential or thereabouts. Columbus is similar. We'll see what Philly does this year in terms of putting $$$ on the field, but they could be headed down that road if not for their fans.

TFC is in a QPR-like class of its own--wealthy but wildly misguided.

When the same venues wind up over and over on the NBC games, that's the public face the league wants to present. Absent any major scheduling or playoff format changes, there's not much to say. There's no expansion, no major salary budget increase. HQ is spending a lot of its time on NYC.

So this year, the true State of the League very much depends upon which team you support. However, I would hope even the most pie-eyed Galaxy fan would realize that there are some seriously rotten planks on this single entity ship and that this isn't good for anyone.

3. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DG said that the DP's don't count against the cap(minute 42). I think he miss-spoke, because if he didn't they just changed the rule.

4. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly . . .

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the aforementioned Supporters' Shield, they did win a CONCACAF Champions Cup in 2000 (without ever leaving their backyard).

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    blacksun repped this.
  7. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    DC also won the 1998 CONCACAF Cup without leaving RFK. They're genuine trophies, but I'm really grateful that those bush league days seem to be a thing of the past.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, wait ... 2 of the 4 most recent expansion teams haven't won anything? Howzabout the Impact and Whitecaps? Shocker ...

9. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    The legitimate concern is that the minority of expansion teams that won something quickly had sustained success while the majority of expansion teams had a slow start and haven't risen much. That's actually pretty commensurate with MLS from 1996 to 2000-- the standings were remarkably static for several years. It really took scuttling Miami and Tampa to shake things up. In recent years, the really notable exception is RSL.

Then, of course, there's NY, who have been bad and good but have never won a thing.

10. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    "Garber says #MLS 2013 season will begin March 2, same playoff format, avoid FIFA dates as best as possible"

Exactly what I have been saying for the past 3-4 years =
    First step is to move to first week of March and avoid as many FIFA dates possible.
    Many MLSnobs been saying that's too cold for many markets.

Many things are going exactly the way I've been suggesting such as MLS Cup final at home of higher seed after thanksgiving week break as part of the first step in improving scheduling.
    There were many MLSnobs been opposing it for a few reasons including too cold.

oh and of course getting rid of.. what was that ting called.. SuperLiga?

11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    How quickly did they expect to see impact from the academy initiatives? 20M is a lot of money, but probably not when compared to what the large, successful academies in Europe are spending. Not that money spent is what should be measured in the first place.

I suspect Bayern, Barca, Man U etc all spend millions a year just between themselves. It's going to be a while before they see a "return" on investment. I think that return could be measured in different ways too. I don't know that player sales will ever be the metric we should measure by. i would probably look at how many starters of a club came through their academy, other academies, etc.

troutseth repped this.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I actually pointed this thought out in a different thread. For most teams, the first academy kids that have been in the program for more than a year or two are just NOW coming of age to play professionally. It will be a few more years before you can judge the program as a whole - once you get a few classes of kids that started the programs at age 14 or 15.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Add in that the quality of coaching, comptetition and facilities probably have a way to go yet. You gotta walk before you run, and I'm not sure we're past crawling yet.

14. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't reallly have Portland and Philly in this discussion as they are relatively new teams to the league. Hell, Philly has already made the postseason as much as Chivas USA. I agree with NYRB and Chivas though.

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In February.;)

16. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Chivas USA made the playoffs 4 consecutive years, 2006 through 2009.

4 > 1

Jasonma, Allez RSL and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to jump in and say that I realize this very well. :D

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Philadelphia Union have made the postseason in 1 of 3 seasons (.333). Chivas USA in 4 of 8 (.500).

Portland Timbers have failed to qualify for the playoffs in two seasons. (.000). Chivas USA qualified in its second season. (.500).

19. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    eventually season starts mid/end of August and play through before Christmas break (for example Dec 22)

Winter break about 1 and half month.

Season resumes in mid Feb and MLS Cup at the end of June

About 1 and half month Summer break till new season.

MLS1FAN repped this.
  20. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also see this becoming a reality in the near future, having the MLS Cup in Toronto was the first test by the league to see if the fans would go out and support this event in the cold. Then the league went to having the MLS Cup in the top seeded team home stadium which means someday that could be in New England or any Northeast MLS city and starting the season early March and ending their season later into early December with the MLS Cup, all points towards the possibility of a season shift someday soon.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too late, given the international calendar (unless you don't mind having players miss out on the MLS playoffs for national-team duty).

22. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    I don't see this happening at all. I was somewhat giving you credit for your previous post where you seem to indicate that you have been right all along about the league setup, and then you went and laid this turd. Ain't gonna happen!

And there is no reason for it to happen. Give me one good reason why, in our climate, we should play a fall to spring schedule? I would rather attend games at 90 degrees then at 20 degrees...

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    February games in Columbus? I pray to god no. I don't even like the early March games because of the snow.

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    According to BS the Supporters Shield only counts when there is a balanced schedule. So only two times in MLS history. ;)

25. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Pats DCU on the head*
    That's good, sweetie...now go outside and play. The grown-ups are talking.