Gameday Experience: SJEQ v. RBNY, July 27th 2008. Huckerby's Home Debut.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sjquakesfan81, Jul 27, 2008.

1. WSUQuake84

WSUQuake84 New Member

May 17, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Its not a FIFA rule, but its an international "tradition". Notice in international games that they don't do "player introductions". It has nothing to do with TV other than maybe speeding up the game or lessening the time the players are out on the field idle. Most games for "niche" sports like MLS and AFL are commenated on by a team in a booth at network headquarters watchign the video feed. Its a cost-cutting maneuver. Notice how often the audio gets cut during an Arena game on ESPN, or if you watched the Chivas-Atlante game, everytime there was a goal kick, there was a cut off in the audio.

Then again, for the Chivas-Atlante game, Bracamontes and "gool goool goool goool goool goool goool goool" were on site....

hmmm.

2. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I had called out the Casbah for being a little flat last game and not even having a Joe Cannon chant. This time, they began the day with the Joe Cannon chant and were pretty well on top of things. Nice job and nice work for the first half welcome signs by the Ultras. Regarding the lineup announcements, it used to be the SJEQ's would announce the players and they'd come out and kick a soccer ball into the stands. The crowds loved it. Nothing wrong with stirring things up a bit to start the day off.

3. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hope it is the result of the front office listening to feedbacks, and not working out with the sponsor. There is no free chicken coupon any more. There is no more cloud of cotton candy the blocks the view of half the field.

The 2 supporter groups did well. I like the welcome banners the Ultras did for Huckerby and Lima. Did the Casbah play drums only for a few times? That worked well to create a "soundtrack" to the game and I liked it.

I think the crowds outside of the 2 supporter groups are doing OK. When there is corner kick, we stomp on the ground. When there is freekick, we shout Go Quakes. These are on top of the "C'mon Ref!" and "Go Ronnie!" individuals shout out. I think the general crowd and the players feed off each other. When there is something exciting or there are waves of attacks on the field, the people get excited and response.

For more organized effort, the general crowd will need some organizers (from front office or just fans) who can pick the right time (like free kicks) to motivate the crowd. It always takes a few brave souls to do it first. Sometimes people can be like, oh this guy next to me is not chanting, I am not doing it also.

Is it also possible to have some printouts of the chants handed out at the game?

4. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Blue Crew.