Gameday Experience: SJEQ v. RBNY, July 27th 2008. Huckerby's Home Debut.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sjquakesfan81, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, maybe because you are WRONG.

Hey, I know. You were cheering and singing so loudly on your own you couldn't hear anything else going on in the stadium.:rolleyes:

2. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How in the f**k is that elitist? I guess the word "elitist" has become the latest word bomb. Throw it even if you don't know what it means. I don't think these guys believe they are members of an elite.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's overall gameday experience was pretty good.

It was pretty warm, but not too hot. Still, this was thankfully the last daytime home game of the season (now that the Sept. 13 home game was switched from 1pm to 7pm), so after next week's daytime road game against the fallacy, there'll be more evening home games and no more need to wear suntan lotion (at least for the west-siders).

Q entertained as usual, E-40's San Jose Earthquakes official theme song was played a few times and the MLS Anthem played when the players walked onto the field. All of which positively added to the atmosphere, almost successfully offsetting the deflation felt by the own-goal and the game's final result.

For some reason, there seemed to be a lot more cute girls (most of whom I've never seen before) sitting in my section than before. [​IMG] They must not have known that I'd be there today. :(

There also seemed to be more English accents in the crowd then I can remember before, probably caused by the Huckerby Effect.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    The day game crowd is not the same with the evening game ones, at times it can get dead silent in the stadium that you can hear the traffic on the street, maybe its the heat, maybe its too early but as far as the teams' performance against RBNY, they looked more potent to score but did not capitalized on the many chances and break aways, you can see Huckerby's genius when he makes his runs on and off the ball, he knows how to get open and make plays and should get more touches. Lima is tough and for the most part cut off Juan Pablo away from the play and the way Sealy positioned himself through out the game gives you a glimpsed as to why he's a scoring threat, he just couldn't finish the many chances including a break away play, but I expect him to have more success as the season continues. Yallop system works is just a matter of execution.

5. Fueco

Fueco Member

Feb 7, 2008
    San Jose

But it's okay for you to have an elitist attitude? Can you spell hypocrisy?

I'm in the Casbah. I proudly stand and chant and sing with the rest. We aren't there to entertain you. We're there to support the boys on the pitch. And we'd certainly like it if the rest of the crowd joined in. If not, we'll go about our business of singing and chanting.

Step it up. Go Krazy George on us... Then we'll listen to what you have to say about us...

6. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Seally played well, and had a few chances but his final decision, whether it was to pass or (gasp) shoot fell short on execution. He and Johnson were a handful. Hucks was ok, nothing more and nothing less. Had a few decent passes, one specifically crossed on the ground in front of goal, but taken by the keeper before any damage could be done. Johnson's athleticism gave them problems, and that guy fights for almost every single ball that comes his way...gotta like that. O'Brien was decent, I thought Corrales played a good game and his roulette on the NY defender was a beauty, pity the move didn't preceed a goal.

Lima was decent, didn't do anything spectacular, but seems eager to please and seemed pretty vocally involved in the game...he should become more decisive ( I hope) as his role becomes more defined. The backline impressed me, specifically Hernandez, he was everywhere. Overall, fun game to watch and SJ had decent chances to win the match, just didn't happen....That own goal was high comedy...on to the next one.

Oh, I thought the singing and chanting was pretty good, a bunch of NY fans started cheering for a few minutes, but soon got drowned out by Quakes supporters from all around...I liked that.

It was too damned hot, how do they survive in those black jerseys?

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm getting sick of everyone criticizing the supporters groups.

There's nothing "elitist" about us. San Jose Earthquakes supporters groups are among the most egalitarian, diverse, democratic, and open organizations in the history of humankind. Even first allegiance to the Quakes is not a requirement. We have fans of DC United, Red Bulls (fortunately he wasn't there today), and the Columbus Crew among our members. The ONLY absolute duty of a Quakes supporter, as far as I can deduce, is to hate the Galaxy.

When supporters urge critics to "come join us," they're not kidding. They mean it. I think I speak for every member of both the Casbah and 1906 Ultras in saying we would like the whole stadium joining in. We would like EVERYONE to be a member.

How elitist of us.

8. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My season tickets are high up in Section D (overall it offers a nice view of the field)........a few empty seats in section D today......and some people had issues with other people standing a couple times.....

IMO Section D seems to be an odd mix of people who get excited and stand when there's a break away or corner/free kick and those who don't.....

but overall I enjoyed the game........I could hear both supporter groups.....casbah a bit better because they might be a bit closer to Section D.....the signs that welcomed Lima and Huckerby were a nice touch.

Was great seeing the new guys.......and I felt like the air was sucked out of the stadium when the "own goal" happen.........thank goodness Huckerby brought the place back to life....

One time I fainlty heard a New York red Bulls chant, that was quickly doused by a loud booing response from quake fans.........never hear a peep from the new yorkers at all the rest of the game...

I just hope and pray we beat LA next week.........wish it was a night game...

9. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what you said, but this line was pretty hilarious...

10. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hyperbole doesn't really work as well on the internet. You need words like almost and practically.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's why I said, "among."

12. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hey, you're the litigator. ;)

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am getting sick of everyone criticizing elitists. There is nothing wrong with being elite. Some of my closest friends are elitists, a few of them self-made, others born that way. They have worked hard to overcome the elite stigma and some of them are genuinely nice people whom even the most egalitarian and inclusive among you would like to know.

Besides, it is ridiculous to suggest that an organization that charges a mere $25 for membership is elitist. That's not exactly a down payment on a Ferrari or a tax shelter in the Caymans: anyone can afford $25! To be an elitist, you have to spend a lot more than that.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple Answer... yes. In general the more someone pays for a ticket, the less likely they're there to cheer. It's the same in baseball and football as well I've found. The best fans are always in the bleachers and nosebleeds respectively in those sports as well.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of note it was the smallest crowd of the season today by a few hundred folks. I know I wasn't there due to Comic-Con in San Diego.

16. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is a difference between being the member of an elite and being an elitist. One who is an elitist may not necessarily be the member of that elite:

elitist |əˈlētist; āˈlētist|
    noun
    a person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or dominated by an elite.
    • a person who believes that they belong to an elite : designers are a bunch of elitists who don't live in the real world.
    adjective
    favoring, advocating, or restricted to an elite : the old, elitist image of the string quartet.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The noon start meant the sun was high in the sky and so it was sunny and less breezy than the last day game even if it wasn't as hot. In any case, day games are just bad. People are most sloth-like and it shows.

It didn't seem like as many of the Ultras were there, but I'm always impressed with how good they look even with so few people and I enjoyed their signs very much. They make me wish I was young enough to stand with them. Those of you that are, should.

The Casbah seemed more full, but didn't chant some of the stuff I'm used to hearing like "dig a hole and bury him" when #13 had all those histrionics.

I think in general, the tight confines of Buck Shaw are part of the problem. Everyone is tolerant of being jammed in, but if does cramp your cheering style when it's hard to even move.

I think it hurt a lot splitting up season ticket holder groups that had been in the same sections together for 3 or 4 or 5 years since they kept there same season seats year after the year.

I think it's problematic not to have a decent in stadium announcer.

I think it hurts in setting up the game to seem important to not line the teams up and make them stand there for line up announcements.

I think it hurts we're not winning. I think it really hurts bopping back and forth to McAfee.

I think some of the players aren't doing their part to bond with the fans.

18. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the early start time is a killer and it was hot, thats no excuse by any means and I personally felt we could have been way better but there is always next week. I am getting a bit sick of some of the trolls (another thread) telling us and the Casbah we suck but whatever. I am a bit perplexed as to why the players are not more open to the fans. Other countries and other cities within MLS the players will applaud the fans and maybe go high five a few people but at least do a lap around the pitch to show their appreciation. Our boys almost always just walk of the pitch with out as much as a look to the crowd. It happened again yesterday, I hope it was just that they we hot and wanted a shower but still a nod and a clap would be nice.

19. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    think I read some place the crowd size was 9,075 or something close to that

20. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually may be a touch generous, there were a lot of areas of empty seats. Like I have said I really think these 12:00 starts are a big part of the problem.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was thinking about that yesterday. Not only do they not have to participate in autograph alley, they race off the field. The only exception I recall is Joe going around slapping hands after the Houston victory. It may not make a difference in the stats but I think that seeing their fans as adoring individuals might give an intangible boost to the players.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's more, you don't have to spend $25 to come stand with either the Casbah or 1906 Ultras.

And if you do pay your membership to either of these groups, you get a free group scarf, which exceeds $25 in retail value. So the upshot is that your membership is effectively free.

To see the scarves, visit, www.thecasbah.org and www.1906ultras.com.

23. lpoulain

lpoulain Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sunnyvale
    Re the comments about player interaction w/ fans... I watched the game on the tube, and was pleased to see Huck acknowledge the Ultras at the end of the game w/ a wave. Nice.
    Lou

24. Zungazan

Zungazan New Member

Feb 3, 2001
    CA
    The seemingly innocuous decisions by the front office such as having three important games at McAfee and having a lot of day games is starting to bother me. These decisions, I believe, help make it harder for our team to win because you essentially lessen the home field advantage. At McAfee there is almost no home field advantage and as my supporter's group bretheren have mentioned it's harder for them to make day games and organize and be as vocal.

Hopefully the front office has learned from these mistakes and will make decisions based on what will help the team win first and foremost.

By the way, yesterday's game day experience was severly hampered by a fourth minute own goal. The only yelling I wanted to do (but restrained myself) was "You suck, Denton".

... and on July 15th, God gave us Huckerby.

25. SJ Cabrito

SJ Cabrito Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sac-Town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always been tough to get excited for a day game, especially a noon Sunday game if you're still "nursing" the bottle flu from the night before.

The crowd was into it at the beginning but after they scored the equlizer, the play was choppy at best. There were a lot of fundamental mistakes being made by our forwards that made it seem like you were watching a Sunday rec league match at times.

And after missing (or not taking) a few glorious opportunities, you could almost hear the crowd collectively say "here we go again".