Game of Thrones - season 4 (books & spoilers edition)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the basis of the show is that who ever has the power has the throne.

But thinking like Ned Stark would, who would have a better claim to a throne? A Brother or a bastard child?

I am mostly thinking about the Bastard son of Robert and his brother Stanis.

But also if John Snow is the son of Neds Sister and the dragon prince (I forget his name), would in theory John (ignoring the fact he is now with the wall watchers) have a better claim than Danarys (girl with the dragons)?

I guess technically the girl can't be queen since she is a woman right? But if she had a son, the son would have a claim to the throne.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    At this point I'm starting to think that R+L=J will end up being one huge red herring.
    I mean, wouldn't it almost be too convenient?

3. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think when he originally conceived it he anticipated #1, the tremendous success of the books, #2, how long it would take him to finish them, or #3, an insanely dedicated online fanbase that dissects every little thing such that this particular storyline was figured out a long time ago.

My main hope is that he doesn't change the story significantly out of fear that so many have figured out what he'd planned. I actually wonder if fAegon is a sign of this already happening.

cr7torossi repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well the way Jon "died" at the end of Dragons does seem to suggest that he has "Dragon blood". So I'm not sure if he has given up on it altogether. Having said that, that entire passage might have been another fakeout.

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    As an aside, I just saw this and loved it. A montage of Game of Thrones set to Ennio Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold.

[​IMG]

Belgian guy repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Nice, though I wished they had used the original version of the piece.

7. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    The electronic version is a bit much but the overall video is pretty bas*ss. It makes me want to go to Popeye's and eat every fcuking chicken.

EDIT: Eventually someone is going to do a mashup of the Hound's chicken line and Daniel Day Lewis milkshake line.

8. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #208 raza_rebel, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Belgian guy repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember GRRM used to have a page on his website featuring pictures of all the kids and pets that people had named after his characters. Haven't looked in awhile so don't know if that's still there, but sounds like the number of people who've done that has gotten out of control since the show started.

And who the ******** names their kid Khaleesi?

11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I did some search for the HBO weeks ahead video that was done in Seasons before. Foudn it on YouTube but it us poor quality.

Game of Thrones: S4 In the Weeks Ahead

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Spot on.

I think he is wasting time coming up with changes to his initial draft since the online fanbase (which he regularly checks on) has dissected and figured out most of the major plots.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Martin himself has admitted that the internet fan culture has changed the reading experience.
    Before, if you included a hint that was picked up by 1 in 50 readers, only a very small fraction of his readership "knew" something more. Now that one person just shares it on the internet and everyone with more than a passing interest is aware of it. Though this isn't really a problem, as there is a very good chance that more than one of the theories you can find on places like the Westeros forums are nothing more than (surprisingly well thought-out) fantasies by the readers.

14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was recently posted over in the "no books" thread: "I think [Ygritte's] more likely to become the Wildling Princess who bridges the cultural gap between those north of the Wall and those south. After some heated words, and maybe a few more arrows."

I hadn't even thought of that, and the fact that they haven't introduced Mance's wife or Val makes me wonder if this might be plausible. What if they decide to keep her character (and Rose Leslie) around to fulfill that role? That would be a serious twist.

15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Would be a sad twist given she is one of the worst characters in the series. Val is so much more likable.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I wouldn't necessarily agree she is more likable, but she is more interesting.
    Though the Wildling Princess might go the way of Strong Belwas.

17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And on a related note, anybody else suspect "Mr. Bandwagon" in the other thread is either a book reader or did a quick browse of Wikipedia to come of with his "predictions"? Some of those are so close as to really stretch my credulity....

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Pretty much what I thought when I read some of them, yeah.

19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You probably just like blondes more than redheads.

My main problem with it would be to have to endure all the ensuing drama between her and Jon for that much longer.

20. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #221 NORML, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Question: I am trying to remember but struggling, Olenna Tyrell, I swear she has a very small roll in the books, am I correct? I ask cause the show sure did insinuate that she could have been the one to poison Joffery.

I'm also kind of bummed out at how little they did with the transformation of Theon into Reek. I understand the lack of weight loss but feel like they did nothing other than ask him to be hunched over. I'm not saying we needed to see any more of the torture Theon indured but maybe a good make up job to make him appear more aged or even a set of dentures to show him almost toothless would have helped.

edit to add: I also don't see Mance's wife, son or Val making an appearance at all. With the way it appears the story is going in the tv show none would be really needed. As for Ygritte I could see the tv show keeping her around to add more temptation for Jon to return to Winterfell. I don't like it but I could see the show wishing to keep that romance drama going.

21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olenna takes the jewel off Sansa's hairnet in the book much like with the necklace in the show, but she isn't sitting near so some speculate Margaery or her brother (not Loras, the other one who's not in the show) actually drop the poison in.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, indeed.

23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in this case it comes down to not wanting to have to bother with extensive makeup for all his scenes (kind of like Tyrion having a scar instead of a missing nose, and the scar seems even less prominent this season). And if they did jump straight to the extreme look of the books after last season it wouldn't make much sense, since it doesn't seem like as much time has passed (because they're moving his storyline up some). From all the complaints about their scenes last season I think it's good they didn't linger on that any more than they did.

Regarding this episode, my one big disappointment is that they didn't have Joffrey say "I'm no stranger to Valyrian steel" when given the sword, followed by Tyrion's suspicion, thus indicating it was Joffrey who sent the guy with the dagger to kill Bran. I have a feeling that's a loose end that's just going to dangle forever.

Oh, and one more thing, the lack of a potential female dwarf in the wedding show seems to indicate no Penny in the future. There was a masked one but it had an obviously male voice. Can't say as I'm all that disappointed, and it might be a sign that her character doesn't matter all that much to the story in the books. Maybe she'll be dying of the bloody flux soon.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I do think that the lack of physical difference between Theon and Reek will ruin one very good moment in the books: when Asha finds her brother but initially does not recognize him.

luftmensch repped this.