Game of Thrones - season 4 (books & spoilers edition)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The thread for everything beyond the scope of GoT up until and including season three, I would guess.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And I for one would like to welcome our new Dornish Overlord. :D

[​IMG]

3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Thanks for starting the thread.

Glad the show is introducing House Martell and the Dornish. I think the Dornish will be limited only to Oberyn and Ellaria, so we are going to miss out on more than a few storylines and plot twists.

If the opening scene is true then the dragons are growing much faster than in the books.

Are the Greyjoys going to be introduced? Thoughts?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Surely they will need to introduce Doran eventually?

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Maybe not immediately. My suggestion is Giancarlo Giannini for Doran.

Due to time constraints the Quentyn Martell, Darkstar and Areo Hotah may not be included. That would be sad but understood. It seems that the writers are sticking to Dany's storyline, Jon Snow's, Brienne's journey to find the Stark children, Sansa to the Eyrie, Stannis marching to the Wall, Tyrion's storyline, Lannister's internal struggle, Theon, Winding down the War of the 5 Kings and Brann beyond the Wall. That is enough for 2 shows!

The actor for Red Viper looked menacing in the few seconds I saw. Charming but scary enough to know you are in a room with someone who is not to be trifled with.

EDIT: Yara saving Theon is not even in the books but you need a way for Stannis to capture Yara. I wonder how that is going to go down. Also, adding in the Greyjoys would be great, adding more crazy in the show.

6. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My theory is that since they haven't even mentioned (to my knowledge) the fact that the Ironborn invaded the North and took over Moat Cailin that it hasn't even happened in the show, so they'll somehow integrate Yara's crew heading to the Dreadfort with that neglected plotline. And judging by the preview, which shows Theon/Reek looking way too healthy in actual clothing, I think they're pushing up his ADWD storyline a bit.

7. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #7 raza_rebel, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    I think the writers will drop the Moat Cailin plot and have Yara either get to the Dreadfort or "meet up" with Stannis. And Theon looks way too healthy. Maybe they are thinking of a psychological change more than a physical and Theon is in a shellshock mode - the lights are on but no one is home type.

I am interested in seeing how Arya does in the East and what exactly happens to the Hound

Will Lady Stoneheart make an appearance?

8. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My bet for the last scene of the season.

The last half of a Storm of Swords as legendary, just this season alone we'll have:

1- Stannis saving Jon etc at the wall
    2-Littlefinger killing Lysa by shoving her through the moon door and creeping on Sansa...Sansa building the snow castle winterfell and putting the dead giants head on its rampart= huge symbolism
    3-Joffrey's wedding
    4-Arya goes to Bravos
    5-battle of castleblack
    6- battle at the wall
    7- jon voted lord commander
    8-The mountain vs the viper
    9- Tyrions trial and the crossbrow
    10- Lady Stoneheart= last shot of the season I bet

Wow this is going to be a wild ride for non book readers

PS: I obviously didn't list everything in order

raza_rebel repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It also means that the Purple Wedding is going to happen rather early on in the season. I have heard as early as episode four.

10. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup.

The unsullied won't be expecting that at all. Maybe it'll bring back all those who gave up after the Red Wedding with the Starks at the lowest point in the entire series.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I would guess something like this for the King's Landing events:

Episode 1: arrival of the Dornishmen
    Episode 4: Purple Wedding
    Episode 5-6: Tyrion's trial
    Episode 7: Red Viper vs. The Mountain
    Episode 9: Tywin and the crossbow bolt

Unak78 repped this.
  12. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I can see that happening quite easily. A lot of action. The Purple wedding needs to happen in the first third of the season to set up the rest of the season's events in KL.

Arya is going to meander through the season IMHO, and needs minimal screen time. Arya learns how to become one of the Faceless Men, which will be awesome. But does Nymeria find Stoneheart? Has Nymeria even made an appearance since S1E2 or 3? I am hoping they start to play up the magic more this season.

Dany needs to learn how to rule with an unhappy city (Sons of the Harpy) and figure out that Dragons do not solve everything.

I am open to seeing what direction they take the Ironborn. :)

Unak78 repped this.
  13. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    NO. Lady. Stoneheart. NO.

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? She seems to be a pretty essential character moving forward, and her resurrection is necessary to explain why Lord Beric disappears. Is it just the idea of resurrecting major characters you don't like? Because in her case she becomes more an example of how trauma can turn even a good person into a completely twisted, evil parody of themselves.

Area 51 repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure how much Stoneheart would fit into the TV version myself.
    Of course it all depends upon how crucial she is to the story going forward.

16. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    If they do not show her, they have wasted screen time explaining Beric Dondarrion and the resurrections. Also the show goes a lot into the Brotherhood. It would be a big loose end twisting in the wind without Lady Stoneheart.

Not meaning to jump but Brienne is going to have her storyline altered a bit as well. Brienne will need to deal with Loras Tyrell since people (well mainly Loras) still thinks Brienne killed Renly. Also, Jaime will charge Brienne with bringing Sansa back to KL and forge Oathkeeper for her.

17. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The only thing that I am cautiously pessimistic about, much as I love Michelle Fairley, is the same thing that bothered me when she was brought back in the books. It lessened the impact of the Red Wedding. Just by a bit, but it did. However, her role in the story arc is clear and I don't see how they can write, say, Beric doing the things that she does when she come into her own.

Belgian guy repped this.
  19. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the directors are mysteriously going to hide her face with a stone mask or something while she will wear the clothes she usually wears.

20. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Fairly certain that episode 9 will end up with Tyrion and the crossbow; and episode 10 with the Stoneheart resurrection.

Never heard the Purple wedding term used before.

Pointless character but we might see Mel use the same method to resurrect Jon so could be a good second precedent.

As for the Greyjoys' internal struggles, I hope we see none of it. Their only purpose is to set the sequence of events to enable Jon to break his vows and become the king of the north/wildlings, Bran to become the successor of the one-eyed crow and to provide the ships for Dany to return to Westeros.

21. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the Greyjoy's internal struggles were very boring parts of the books.

Probably the most boring parts along with Bran's adventures, skipped most of it (except Theon of course!).

22. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen very little agreement as to the "most boring" stuff, although people tend to state their opinion as if it was a fact. The Greyjoy plotline does seem to get more votes than most, but then so does Dorne (which some people love, including me), Meereen (which is finally picking up), and Brienne. And personally I've liked Bran's storyline as well, I think its biggest weakness is there's so little of it that it was sometimes hard to be engaged when his chapters came back around.

23. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Bran' storyline is boring but very important. Especially if some of the theories about the walkers is correct. The Dornish stuff is great, one of the most interesting families in Westeros.

Dany on the other hand gets more tedious with every book.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Of those I would say I found Bran's to be the most tedious. But I suspect it might become the most important of all by the end.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What theories are those?