Game 6: Sounders v. Chicago Fire

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Apr 25, 2012.

1. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeesh. We're just going through MLS helping out the team that plays our opponents next, aren't we?

3. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think EJ is offside. When Paladini sensed the danger, he came rushing to the line but I think he's a few TV frames late to keep EJ onside. But still, the AR has no clear view of when exactly the ball touched Hurtado's foot. I think they have a rule, some kind of should be at least 90% sure before making the call.

Also, I don't think Hurtado would've scored if EJ didn't tap the ball. Paladini seems to have made it in time to make a SOTY candidate if EJ wasn't there.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ wasn't stationary either. If you watch the video EJ is just about to cross-over the line for the 6-yard box when Hurtado kicks the ball, but there is already a Fire defender with a foot inside the box. Regardless, it is crazy close either way though.

5. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Guys. I don't think he's a troll. He already admitted that he's a newbie and he haven't been in the stadium so it's very clear that he has no idea on what's going on. I think he's from soundersfc.com (and fed up with the posters there) and decided the give BS.com a try.

Montero is one of the leagues top strikers. With our current situation on the 2nd striker, it would make sense that our opponents would pay more attention to him than whoever he's partnered with. In the Toronto game, he's completely marked and seems to have a hard time shaking them leaving Estrada unchecked.

If you look at this goal (http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-04-28-chi-v-sea/highlights?videoID=183824), during Alonso's pass, Friedrich is marking Montero. Montero simply stood there giving Friedrich make a decision to either follow the ball or keep an eye on Montero. This leads to EJ having a wide open space. Although EJ is late in reaching the ball, it still put it in a good position. And I don't think Estrada's intention is to score. I think it's intended for Montero hoping he'll get a 1v1 against Anibaba, but it turns out Friedrich don't like the idea.

6. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Are you talking about Pardo? He's moving slowly but I don't think he made it in time either. It's like we're watching a photo-finish in a MotoGP race. Damn, mlssoccer.com's video player sucks. If only I could download the video and play it on VLC.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might check out there youtube channel and see if you can get a better stream there. Not that it matters, you're still looking at a crappy video where the difference between EJ and the defenders is a whisker.

Oh, and one of the Fire blogs is all up and arms about The Fight (TM) and is accusing Hurtado of trying to choke out Pappa. :)

http://www.hooknladders.com/article...vestigate-seattle-after-post-match-fight.html

They've got the pictures and everything!!

8. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    osvaldo alonso is irreplaceable.

in fact the only thing worrying me about the team is the fear of injury to this linchpin of our team. because without ozzie we are a mediocre team.

9. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think matchcenter might be wrong about the reason. If you watch the highlights Anibaba looks to go into a tackle on Gonzalez with both feet. I'm guessing that's what the red card is for.

10. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    You might be right there. Chicago coach got tossed as well for foul and abusive language to the official.

11. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Somebody from Chicago forums got a couple of good pics. Looks like he's onside.

12. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thanks for the defense. Not sure what a troll is. Sorry my comment degenerated into a rant against Montero. My initial point and reason for commenting at all was frustration with the offense not connecting - lack of cohesion. The team seeming at a loss of what to do in the final third. No one has commented on this part because I pushed everyone's Love/Hate Montero button. Offensively, I felt Chicago did a much better job of creating opportunities and we were lucky to walk away with a win. This was frustrating for me to watch as I know it is not for lack of talent. Montero can be absolutely brilliant, absolutely ice cool under pressure. I guess with Johansson and Rosales back in the mix, I was expecting something more like the first Santos game.

13. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    AMEN. EJ at least gave him credit in his post game comments

14. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of that probably has to do with the revolving door that has been the Sounders starting 11. There is little cohesion because we have not had any games together. Assuming no further injuries give it another couple games and I think you will find these comments premature.

15. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    At this point, after 3 years+ watching Fredy Montero... you call him out, but it just makes me believe you've never played soccer at any level above mediocrity. If you had, you would understand. His value is obvious, but there is just not enough room in the margin to explain why.

Seaball repped this.
  16. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember Fredy playing better than he is now. Yeah, the goal scoring isn't happening but the rest of his game is light years better than 09.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, for the first 1.5 seasons, Montero was a lazy prima donna. He's gotten significantly better on that front, but the impression he established in the first 1.5 seasons continues to be pervasive. I think a lot of it is a negative bias as people became used to seeing him as a lazy prima donna, so whenever he's not putting in 100% now, people notice that, but they don't notice all the times he's going back to help on defense, acting as the playmaker, making off the ball runs, etc.

18. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes, yes, mediocrity is my game. Nailed it.

Anyone else who has not yet aired admiration/contempt for Montero?? Good. end of discussion on then? Original topic....Anyone else have a sense that the offense is not connecting in the final third? And if so, what steps might be taken to improve it...apart from just giving it time ?....Or am I on my own mediocre planet on this one as well? ;)

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to excuse the reaction to your Montero criticisms. While you are new to this forum, most of the rest have been here as long, or longer, than Montero has been with the team and we've had this discussion quite a few times previously. Montero is a very streaky goal scorer, but don't worry he'll get his 10 or so goals this season, they'll just come in bunches.

As for the why we're having problems in the final third, it begins and ends with Mauro Rosales. He's the engine that our offense goes through and with him being injured that engine hasn't been there. Unfortunately the rest of our team isn't nearly as good as Rosales as doing that. The only person that is close is Montero, which means Montero isn't in position to score goals. Now that Rosales is back, we'll start getting better in the final third.

21. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I disagree with this. I think Flaco + in-form Evans and we'll do just fine. We may look weak at the right, but if Johansson's attacks would be effective, then it's alright. But without both Flaco and Rosales, then it's a disaster.

You also have to consider who is paired with Montero. I still don't see our opponents defenders decreasing their attention to Montero. They have a mentality that shutting down Montero and our offense is nothing. By the way I look at it, this seems true.