Game 2 Pre/PBP/Post USA-Scotland 2/13

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Feb 12, 2013.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I'm thinking Press and Heath could make a positive impact second half. Maybe Lloyd too. They need some more bite in the offense.

O'Hara is doing well on the left. How about Crystal Dunn for Krieger?

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the half.

The game would improve with a Press for Leroux sub. Give each a half up top.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45' 1-0 O'Hara holds at box top wide left, staring down 2. Taps down left touch to Rapinoe (who is offside, but details details), cuts inside, Rapinoe one-touches between the 2, who both spin and sandwich O'Hara. She flicks-while-falling back to Rapinoe. AR flags Rapinoe's earlier offside. Rapinoe crosses, everybody stops for the whistles.

HT 1-0.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she's going to get in, then the team probably needs to score at least one more goal (but likely 2).

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I agree she will be fine in a couple years. Not in a cup year for CBs though

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for UNC-Duke. I'll have to catch this game once US Soccer puts the replay on youtube like they did the last one. Enjoy the game, peeps.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT Studio 90 video is way better than the music with the bouncing logo. Close-ups of Alex, mmm :D

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheney needs to come off.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Engen was fine. A few off passes, but that's not saying much compared to some of the other players. I like the added dimension she brings with her height.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprisingly, Buehler had a decent half.

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. This is my first game. I thought there were 3 periods, not 2 halves. My bad.

Look, I know. It rarely happens before half, but I have seen it done as a kick in the pants to the team. Don't understand why everybody is so opposed to it. Why wait 15 minutes to change things up if things arn't clicking after 35? I've always thought thats such a silly unwritten rule in soccer.

13. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I think Cheney's been fine. She does lack out-of-the-blocks speed, clearly, but a lot of her passes have been very neat, including the through ball that set up Syd. HAO hasn't really made her presence felt, other than in some good tackles. Pinoe is totally hot and cold. There was a helluva lot of giving the ball away in the first half hour. Still, new permutations need time to adjust, and that's why we have friendlies.

14. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Buehler got caught out 1 time but has mostly been cleaning up. Definitely can see she's the more experienced player.

Cheney's been decent as a holding midfielder but not so great if she's actually the attacking midfielder since she hasn't been very aggressive passing forward, compounded by the fact that when she spreads it to the wings, the wings haven't been particularly noteworthy in their creativity and passing, goal aside.

To continue with my thought, Cheney needs more bite and skill either in defense or offense. A pure holding mid is a luxury and more of someone you need in a 4-3-2-1 than a 4-4-2. In a 4-4-2, the CM needs to be able to take on either some of the DM or some of the AM duties.

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's her first goddamned start. Lay off it.

And every other D that they've tried out, they've tried out with Rampone in as the steadying hand.

CoachJon repped this.
  16. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Agreed. At times, it's almost as though Boxx is the AM and Cheney the DM. Huh.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

There were at least two time where she went to a wing and the wing expected her to break forward and she didn't. Made the wing look stupid for putting the ball into space.

18. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again, whats with the silly unwritten rules of soccer your pitching tonight? Its a friendly the US is using to evaluate players. Thats stupid nonsense about needing to be up by 2 goals before we let a player get her first cap in a friendly. Coaches don't think like that.

19. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a game that matters, maybe. But for a friendly designed mostly to give young players a chance to show their stuff, you're not going to sub early except for injury.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Just saying she is inexperienced and it shows.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? No subs for the US?

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    6 subs available. Maybe we will see some.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    good move, not to sub. that group was shaky, so give them 15 more mins.

24. harrisongerard

harrisongerard New Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's weird that our more creative players have that Jekyll and Hyde quality to their play. From the first match however, it seemed that Heath was flourishing in keeping possession throughout the 90 and making good decisions.

25. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leroux . . . oh my.