Alert: Gallardo: ¨MLS is NOT a easy league¨

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by EL MONO MARIO, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't speak and or read spanish anyone care to translate for my unintelligent American ass?

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Again I REPEAT my statement, YOU MISUNDERSTOOD HIM.

He wasn't speaking about DCU fans in a negative light, althought you did take it that way, he was referring to the sentiment that the River fans hold for him.

You being of Bolivian ancestry should understand the connection between player and club more so than many people on these boards.

While he has said several good things about MLS and DCU, FOR HIM, there is no comparison between River and any other club. So while DCU has some of the BEST SUPPORTERS LEAGUE WIDE, to Marcelo Gallardo the sentiments of his people is greater. That's not a jab at DCU, althought maybe you might have taken it that way, but rather a show of affection for the club that he is plays for and is a fan as well.

So while I said misunderstood, it wasn't that you didnt understand spanish but rather you misunderstood his feelings and the message that he was trying to convey in this interview (Gallardo)

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Talking about Juan Pablo Angel....

"Angel didn't play but he's ok. I had him as a rival in the North American league and I saw him well, adapted with his family to a terrific city". "It doesn't have what I also missed, the passion with which you live futbol in Argentina, the feeling of the people" That's what you greatly miss when you live away."

So not only is he slamming us but the people in Paris at PSG as well. There's only passion in Buenos Aires and no where else.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok, explain or translate...."missing the passion". I guess I'm dense. Spell it out for me....

5. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now wait a min Chico, I think you are reading too much into it. You have to admit, while the Barra, SE, and LN are the best supporter's group in the US, we are still in the US - where the average guy probably couldn't name an MLS team, doesn't know any other soccer players outside of Beckham, and the winningest team in the entire country is fighting for their own modest stadium long after most of the other teams in the league have gotten theirs.

Contrast that with the average person in Argentina who not only could name you ALL of the teams in at least the top league but probably most of the players as well. Argentina is a futbol nation. The US is not. And Paris, well, is Paris. Win the World Cup and your name is plastered on the Eiffle Tower. The rest of the time - Qua?

So after playing for River and in a futbol country like Argentina, I can imagine that playing in the US is a bit of a let down crowd-wise. Not a slam against the league or the passion of the supporters in general, just a statement of the status of futbol in the US. You have to admit, the atmosphere of a River game is vastly different from an average DCU or MLS game.

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Listen, there's no need to get defensive about it.

I'll explain it simply with Argentinians live soccer in a different manner. And while DCU fans are extremely passionate about their team and so forth, its still not going to match anything that he could live in Argentina.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know Chico misunderstood him? You aren't Gallardo, you weren't there so we're all just interpreting.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Believe it or not I know all of this.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hell you say.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then he should have said this again.

"It was very nice to see. Soccer has a future in America."

11. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy isn't the spokesperson for the MLS. He's said that in other interviews. Up until now, I don't think he's gone into why he returned to River other than it was his "home". I also don't expect him to say things like "Well DCU has the best supporters in the US," or "Soccer has a future in the US but it still has a way to go," in every interview either.

Take it at face value. He likes Argentina better than the US. He's entitled to that opinion.

12. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some players come to the US to get away from the constant attention of the fans, and they love this (German National team during the 1994 World Cup at Pentagon City Mall). Other players think that they want this but then realize that they miss being constantly idolized wherever they go (Mexican National team during the 1998 Gold Cup in Crystal City), Gallardo seems to be one of those.

I have been with the supporters at DC United since the beginning and while I go just as nuts as everyone else, I try to give the players breathing room when I run into them in public. I will walk up to them and say hi and what a good job they are doing, but for the most part leave them alone (Garlick, Rimando, Simms, etc. at Pentagon City Mall). With Gallardo I saw him a few times at my daughters soccer practices and left him alone (did not say anything to him), as he appeared to be getting used to the American "soccer Mom" environment and seemed to want to be left alone. I did look in his direction and told my daughter who he was every time, and he was looking at us kind of funny. Looking back on that, it now seems as if he wanted to be approached...

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped.

14. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry dude but it always seems we are at odds. Look Gallardo did not meet YOUR expectitation and you have hated on him the whole way.... You got your wish and he is gone from United.

Now you have let your hate for this player cloud your judgment. Cause if you look at POST 1 MY post he says very encouraging things about MLS and it´s fans...

You know what he meant by the fans sentiments, was feeling loved by the fans, which Gallardo was NOT in DC. He also spoke about adaptation, and even said something like Angel is playing in a GREAT city. SO maybe DC was not his cup of tea for some reason and it may have been personal instead of profssional and decided to leave but he still said that DC was a great organization and it was a matter of choice River or DC.... He chose River over DC, but a day before he chose DC over Estudiantes.

Gallardo has been class in regards of his MLS departure and his experience in the league. Unlike MLS poster boys like LD and Beckham who have made statements regarding how POOR MLS is, Gallardo spoke how American soccer will grow and that it was a joyful experience overall...

So just chill, if you were any kind of River fan you would know the kind of person and attitude of Marcelo Gallardo, and the only time he has EVER been out of line in his career was when he had a problem with River coach Mostaza Merlo...

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dude, you don't know shit about me. I was excited when he got here and was sad to see him go. Besides Bolivianfuego, I was probably the biggest apologist for Gallardo on the DC boards so look things up before you go spouting accusations. And I've had nothing BUT respect for him until I read that piece. He probably doesn't realize in this day and age that what ever you say to any interviewer is a nano-second away from zooming around the globe on the internet. I'm still a fan of River. Gallardo? Not so much anymore....

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I could see why chicos mad, and personally i feel Marcelo had no right to compare us to rivers fans, who are nuts and are one of the craziest/best hinchas in the world/ Argentine Soccer Fans. He should have stayed diplomatic and said something along the lines 'the passion is different, but in DC they love their team just as much, but its just different... and they are growing.'

In saying what he said, he seemed not satisfied with what he got in DC and really will leave us with a sour taste over how he feels the team embraces their players. He too has no idea what he missed, our fans love our players and are nuts during our games.... maybe not up to HIS standards, but come on! He must not understand how argentina and USA are different not give reason for the difference......

Personally this changes the way i look at him now.....

17. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude he did not compare anyone to anything he said the passion in Agentina is better than MLS, and he is right! He never said I left DC cause their fans sucked.... He pointed out what he missed back home. He stated that he enjoyed his time in MLS and stated what he felt the american player needs to do to improve. He said this organization was Great. What else do you want from a EX player.

Don´t take everything he does personally. We, MLS fans, should be happy that a player of the level of Gallardo has nice things to say about MLS.... Cause Beckham doesn´t do it and Not even Marco Etcheverry always said nice things about MLS and he is the best to play in the league EVER. So relax dude....

I have seen MANY interviews from players not having the best things to about MLS and they came from players who enjoyed alot of success here like Etch, Valderrama, Leo Alvarez, Ariel Grazani, or Jorge Campos....

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's his HOME COUNTRY! I would expect him to feel this way. If he chose USA over Argentina then it would be abnormal.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To Mario:
    It sounds like your clouted in judgement cause you dont understand us!! When he talks he is talking first hand on his experience based on where he has played.

Where did play?

DC United.

Who and what fans was he around 90% of the time?

DC United.

And Marco never once said anything bad about the passion as far as DC went.

IMO he was talking about DC, he could have at least made a seperation, youre just giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Marco gave up many opp. for money, because he loved DC. He could have played at PSG for TONS more money, but no. He loved DC and so did his family. He could have played for Leon of Mexico, for more $$$ But no, he loved DC and our fans.

I never feel Gallardo was all in, and had that snubbish factor to him. I never wanted to acknowledge it.... or admit it here on this forum cause i wasnt 100% on it, but now i know thats how he is.

He never gave DC a chance, and really judged us to quick. And again, i am saying this in that he judged DC because well.... most of his experiences were through us, not columbus, kansas city, etc.

His comments in a PR fashion was bad, IMO. He could have at least said in the end, DC's fans were great in comparison to the rest, but for the rest of the teams they lack the true passion which is visible with DC fans but not so much other MLS teams'(ro something similar)... You know what i mean.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How do you measure passion? By shear numbers? Is Los Borrachos del Tablon more passionate that the Barra Brava because they have more members?

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Loco, I think that you are looking at it way too personally. Gallardo wasn't here long enough to make a dent in the hearts of the fans. There was no real attachment either way.

Going back to his statements, they are more of a reflection of how he views RIVER and the fans instead of a comparison against DCU. The same statement could have just as easily have been construed as being against PSG or Monaco but they aren't.

Chico --> I think that you are over reacting to the statement. You are reading way more into it than is there.

You tend to always supply the quota of fairness in your quotes, thats why I was so surprised with your post. Anyhow I just think that you are "mal interpretandolo", that's all.

22. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOTAL BS dude most fans on these boards did not give him a chance. When he got injured he was hung by the people on these same boards. So dude please spare me the abused girl on a date act.

DC fans acted like the hot blonde, who dated the hot guy (can´t believe I said hot guy in a thread devoted to one of soccers most ugliest players!:eek:) when the guy realized hey it was not bad but not great either and went on his way, the girl starts to cry.

BS, before Gallardo left I was on these boards defending the player dc had while most were saying how much of a waste of money he was, how broken and useless and not effective he was.... Now that he left we have the na sayers asking why did he leave? Why are so great? We really wanted him!? Did you???? mmmmmmmmm didn´t seem like it...

He left saying he enjoyed his time in DC, read my 1st post he regretted not being able to help out more.... That DC was a good organization.... That there was a latin flavor to games... Today he said the fans we not feeling HIM, that he was home sick.... He never said anything BAD or negative about DC fans...

So am sorry but STOP CRYING guys. He did not say anything bad, and please don´t ask a soccer player to be diplomatic, HE LOVES RIVER and it shows. there is no place he rather be.... So just be thankful he said look I liked being in MLS, it was a good expierence, but hey this is River and here is where I want to be.... whats wrong with that????????

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well for the most part people on here, BS will complain about anything. Etcheverry got tore to shreds in his last years here, but overall people still loved the guy. Same goes with El Mune' sure he was ridiculed, and tore to shreds sometimes here too! But at the games he wasnt whistled off, always respected. So i dont know how you can think he felt 'HATE' unless he was on these boards...which i doubt as he probably has a life with training and raising his kids. Unlike us losers. hahahaha

See i wish he would also sepeate MLS and DC, he needs to talk about DC as an entity, and it would have been more clear, but we have no choice but to scrutinize(sp) what he says based on this. Personally its a blow to all our egos because we feel we give any player love, and passion that they deserve at the games, and for him to say that it wasnt enough, really will hurt our fans who read it. I am sure if he knew this, he would re-phrase it, but the fact of the matter is, like i said he could have kept it more diplomatic, in comparing the two passions... But regardless.... this def. changes my opinion of the guy.

He has great skill, and that factor of being able to change a game split second based on his actions... i love the guy as a player.. i dont know so much though as a person.

If only he had a little more humility.

24. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude your hurt by what? It could have been worse he could have said how MLS sucks, how I took 1.8 million from the league, how He played with his hands folded.... Like Lothar said once.

The guy did NOT say anything negative. All he said was he MISSED the passion in Argentina... He did not say DC fans had no passion... He said very good things about MLS since leaving so lets be happy with that.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You still dont get it do you? Its called empathy.

But like the washington post ad 'if you dont get it, you dont get it' lol