Alert: Gallardo: ¨MLS is NOT a easy league¨

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by EL MONO MARIO, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^I think thats what we all believed.

Cause i remember reading it seemed like he had no true interest to go to Estudiantes, and that he said basically, 'if they want me to go(DC) they can talk to Estudiantes, i have no say as it is between them two'.

But when river came a knockin' he was different, in that he was pushing the leave(which is understandable). I am sure it was killing him knowing to the fans he was a bust, i know it would kill me, but if my first love called for me then i understand.

Yea hopefully gorosito gives him fair playing time, so he can get back to being the legend that he was for them.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, young Americans may have creativity "coached" out of them at an early age because it looks too much like selfish individualism rather than the favored "team play." But that suggests a more basic problem, which is the possibility that US kids are "coached" at too young an age, (and often by coaches who have no real knowledge of the game and its skills). Left to themselves, young kids can learn tricky and creative moves without being assailed by coaches and parents yelling at them to pass or stop hogging the ball. To be a truly effective player, IMO, you have to have a conceit that you can beat that guy; you can put it in the net. Especially near the goal, great strikers have to be a bit selfish and think they can do it themselves. That's when good coaching can help them decide when to dish it off rather than go it alone. But by the time a typical American youngster gets to that age his creativity and yes, his selfishness, has been bled out of him by the overorganized American youth soccer system.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Its not even about ball hogging that i think gallardo was getting at, more so the tricky through ball passes, the tricky 'team play' that you see in latin america, or hell when etcheverry was here, and everyone around him played his tricky latin american style, with his scoop passes, through balls, long passing switching sides, back heels, etc. It isnt just selfish play, more so play that can be risky in that a pass can make or break you at that moment. I think thats what he was getting at. Players are scared and have second thoughts.

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great post.

5. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's because all that you have mentioned above doesn't correlate well with the "flank and cross" offense that is played in America.

6. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe by others, but certainly not DC United...

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For the most part DC plays a different style than this, thats why many posters on here complain how we dont have a classic winger to swing in crosses, and why peoeple complain too much of our play is on the ground coming from the middle .:p

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wasn't referring to DCU. If anything DCU stands out about the rest with regards to style of play. You can actually sit back and enjoy when you guys play, regardless of the outcome of the game.

9. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't mean DCU.

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    (agree with all others about Gallardo's class in his comments about DC United and MLS in general)

MSL fields also appear to be a bit narrower than what I've seen in most other leagues - I don't know whether its the camera angles or the lens being used, but players sure seem to be a lot more crowded in the middle of the field in MLS games, while in Argentina there's just so much more space - So athletic MSL players cause athletically demanding game, and players coming from wider fields might not be aware of this - Another big difference still between MLS and the best of other leagues is the absolute soft touch on the ball most players have - In a wider field, if an athletic defender tries to charge a player with the ball (something that might work really well in a narrower field), a player with good ball control skills can easily skip around him

And YES - I really liked Gallardo during his years and Copa Lib Champions run at River, and I really liked him here when he was able to be at his best during June - And like most other Argentine players, they seem to want to return home at some point in their careers either to their boyhood favorite team,like Veron to Estudiantes or like Gallardo to River - Its just something team management will just have to be aware of when the go after these players

11. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. It was reported he got in a little altercation with one of the players of the red bulls. Apparently a tense game with 7 cards and one red from the red bulls.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's Video of Gallardo's pass, and the derrota of River's number 2's.

Gallardo had a nice little touch as a defender tried to get it from him, he still shows his class. I hope he does well. I'll keep an eye out to see if he gets minutes vs. San Lorenzo.

Its too bad he left.... who knows what could have been this season.... o well we got gomez back. He'll be a good little fix for the time being. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTB6EZnhGs"]YouTube - Red Bulls v. Riverguenza (River Plate) in Argentina[/ame]

14. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked a little chubby, but the class is still there.. So ironic return for Marcelo against a MLS club.

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/02/27/futbollocal/01866728.html

El Muñeco interrumpe la charla y firma un autógrafo, y otro, y otro más. A lo lejos, Juan Pablo Angel, ausente en el partido de entrenamiento por una paralítica que recibió en el amistoso contra Vélez, camina hacia el micro de su equipo y todavía sonríe por el reencuentro en el vestuario con su ex compañero Gallardo. "Angel no jugó, pero está bien. Lo tuve como rival en la liga norteamericana el año pasado y lo vi muy bien, adaptado con su familia a una ciudad bárbara. No tiene lo que a mí también me faltaba allá, la pasión con la que se vive el fútbol en la Argentina, el sentimiento de la gente... Eso se extraña muchísimo cuando estás afuera. A mí me pasó", confiesa el ex jugador franquicia del DC United.

Some more comments from Gallardo a intresting comment, in regards to his meeting with his old teammate JP Angel. He speaks of adapting and that JP Angel has something that he lacked in MLS. " The sentiment of the people"

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    On behalf of La Barra Brava, The Screaming Eagles, La Norte and the rest of the 20,000 people that normally show up to DC United games I would like to invite Marcello Gallardo to kiss our asses.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You misunderstood him.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I speak, read and write fluent spanish. No I did not.

20. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never said you didnt, I just said you misunderstood him.

21. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be a boca fan.

22. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks something is getting lost in the translation. What does he mean, "Sentiment of the people". That sounds very Che' to me.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it one of two ways. Either he thinks the fans didn't kiss his ass or his teammates didn't kiss his ass. Personally, I don't care which one he meant.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And I said I did not misunderstand him. He's casting aspersion on our passion or lack there of. Our fans stand during mind numbing cold, searing heat, torrential downpours and electrical storms. They travel across this country on their own dime. If he doesn't call that passion he can go **** himself.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm actually a River fan. I hate Boca. I also hate any player that looks down his nose at us.