Galaxy vs RedBulls! WOW!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DempseyFan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Casual Fan

Casual Fan New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I think the New York Red Bulls are the most entertaining team in the league to watch, from a casual fan's perspective. The reason is that they have great goal scorers in Angel and Altidore but also they seem to give up goals in the games I've seen.

From what I've seen, Houston and New England look like the best teams in the league, but New York is more fun to watch. Sort of like how the St. Louis Rams were fun to watch even though the New England Patriots were the boring best team.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite his two assists tonight, I maintain that Beckham's greatest contribution to LA's success is finally sending Vagenas to the bench. Having Vagenas on the field is like playing a man down from the opening whistle.

3. fox3c

fox3c New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Kentucky
    Well said ...

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only when Reyna doesn't play. Seriously.

5. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had everything except good defense...;)

6. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 assist

7. User Name

User Name New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    England
    Altidore has some talent but 14 million euros? lol.

That LA Galaxy defence was one of the most pathetic defensive displays I ever scene. It was a complete shambles that even english conference defences could surpass. the way Altidor basically jogged past 2 'defender's was embarresing to watch.

8. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden
    Let's not underestimate how much harder it is for a striker to play in one of the better european leagues.

Today he played against a horrible defense, he would get so much less space in european leagues that he would struggle to be even an average striker in a relatively poor team.

Of course he's still very young, and i'm not saying he can't be a really good player in the future.

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

yo bro thats exactly what they gonna do less than 10 seconds they gonna show an assist and thats it just like every game because instead ESPN is gonna show 40 minutes of the highlights from the 11 year old girl softball game and another 25 minutes of a meanigless TAmpa BAy devil rays vs Kansas city royals cuz the director of ESPN obviousley hates soccer and must love whack baseball and is tight that soccer is becoming one of the most popular sports in america and baseball is declining rapidly and so he barley shows awsome highlights from MLS and dident any of you notice that when beckham scored his awsome free kick they placed that #8 on the top 10 list and #7-#1 were average baseball catches that happenes every day like on every other station every other network had that #1 the director of ESPN obviously hates soccer notice how all these youth world cup games like U-20 were not on espn except once but we have 200,000 little league baseball games on espn which are mad boring and also we cant even see the USMNT on ESPN anymore u can only see if u got cable. IT's time for a change of gears of ESPN cuz its obvious whatthe director is doing

10. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. :mad:

As for the game, it was pretty damn good. Both teams brought their A game.....well at least on offense, and it showed.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd grade english isn't what it used to be, i guess. the best part about your post is the one period. you managed to make it so far without using any punctuation only for you to give up at the end ... well, not the very end, because you missed that period too.

12. amavel

amavel New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was off by a little... but I think they showed all of the goals, plus a few camera angles of Becks backlash at VDB and two shots of him getting hit in the face in the penalty area. The segment was sandwiched between pre-season NFL highlights, and the two football hosts followed up the MLS highlights by basically complementing the game's excitement.

I was watching ESPNews during the first 20 minutes of SportsCenter and didn't see a mention of the game.

13. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EASILY the most thrilling MLS match I've ever watched :D

14. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah, they only showed mathis' goal because richards' first cross hit beckham in the face.

And then they showed the game winner. Could have at least gave altidore a mention, seeing as how he's one of america's best prospects ever. I thought america was into world class players?

15. Casual Fan

Casual Fan New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I'm glad this game wasn't on ESPN. If it were, then the entire game would have been full of "What a great night for the sport this is." "Everyone has to be happy to see the league flourishing tonight," etc. Plus, there would've been a Beckham cam.

I like that the FSC commentators just treated it like any other game, albeit, a great game.

16. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    :rolleyes:

17. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
  18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
  19. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the game was exciting..to bad it was on fsc and not espn.

20. murph1272

murph1272 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    What an exciting match and I also liked the commentating crew, good stuff, man I wish I could have been at that game.

21. Nica1004

Nica1004 Member

Sep 14, 2002
    the couch
    Why? The team still honors the history, so why can't the fans? As long as they're not wearing the opponent's jersey (unless cleverly redesigned), I don't care what the heck they wear. Wear a mu mu for all I care; just show up and support the team. End of story.

22. Ron86

Ron86 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really think Altidore is great, but he seems to have KNEE problems. Every single game i've seen this year, he has been limping, and grimising in some kind of pain in his legs.

23. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this is so _exactly_ what the NY MLS franchise needed--fans coming out in droves and a great exciting game to boot. This can only help MLS and soccer generally, but of course, will it last? Will anyone want to come see NY play Columbus on some dreary Sunday afternoon just because the Becks game was awesome? Certainly it can't hurt. Wonderful shot in the arm for a long-troubled franchise.

24. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What made me happy was when FSC would show the fans in the stands. Sure, there were Red Bulls fans dancing, but what impressed me the most was how the fans who were clearly there to see Beckham were arm-in-arm with these guys (some of them teenaged girls). What really hooks people on MLS and the sport in general isn't just the game, but it's often the atmosphere that you generate. I once took some friends of mine to an utter snooze-fest, a 0-0 match in 90 degree heat on a Saturday afternoon, and I expected to hear the worst. After the game, one of my friends turns to me and says: "Wow, that was a lot of fun. I really want to come back." Sitting with the supporters section can do that.

25. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think his actual worst problem is fitness. First, he isn't a naturally speedy guy, the way Eddie Johnson is. On top of that, he tires in games. Part of that is the fact that he gets fouled and kicked a lot, as you'd expect, but Bruce has also mentioned that he has to spend more time getting as completely fit as possible. I think some of the limping you see is him kind of huffing & puffing out on the pitch. if you watch him closely, he'll get spent around the 75th minute most games. He can't, for example, go 90 in the Azteca at noon on Sunday, which is our current standard for supreme fitness. Let him bunk with Hejduk on the Nats, learn a couple of things. He's young, so he recovers well, but he still has that final level of fitness to acheive, and I don't think he- until recently- took the fitness aspect as 100% seriously as he should have.

He's 17 though, and he'll move to Europe after turning 18. You figure, wherever he goes, he'll sharpen his edge.

You're English, and "scene" and "seen" aren't 'sorted'? 'kay...

As for Altidore, consider that the Brazilian Pato, in his age group, just went for 20 million Euros (or so?). Altidore isn't going to command that, as an American, but he's clearly WORTH about 10m Euros, if he was English, he'd get that. As a Yank, he'll go for more like 5-7m if we're lucky. He's the American version of Rooney (circa ~2 years ago) at current. Still a ways to go, but he's a tall, strong, physical kid that scores at every level.

The best consideration was the recent U-20s, when he played against the best defenders in the world for his age group. 5 games, 4 goals. Nuff said.

No doubt, he can't expect to get that much space, but he can score in a lot of ways, and if you watched his goal vs. TFC last week, or the U-20s, you see a lot of special things in him.

He might be the most dangerous US striker, right now.