Gadaffi falls?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Naughtius Maximus, Aug 21, 2011.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    She is very matronly, that's true :D

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Doesn't seem like the footage you referenced, but another idiot on RT declaring a MSM conspiracy.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcFsvS5JZ0s&feature=related"]Libya: Rebel advances on Tripoli are misinformation and MSM Propaganda - YouTube[/ame]
    Nor this one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSXxa0mppd4"]MSM: Media Forgets Libya was Illegal - YouTube[/ame]
    Perhaps this footage is fake, as well:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd6T7XtqiTc"]Inside Gaddafi compound: Video of Libya rebels in Bab al-Aziziya - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoGNlWsObg"]Libyan wears Gaddafi's hat - YouTube[/ame]

3. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Youtube must have joined the vast MSM conspiracy.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is that the same conspiracy that Hillary used to talk about?

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    By German standards I'm a pretty friendly fellow :p

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. I'm guessing he has a guy for that.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Perfectly reasonable... I've just planted a celebratory bomb under my neighbours car :D
    HEY! It's my new hero... 'iron-arsed' Alex :) If only she'd come and work for the BBC instead of taking the Murdoch shilling :(

Edit: I've just checked. She USED to work for the BBC. Somehow that makes me even sadder.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I KNEW I'd seen the guy before...

[​IMG]

Bashar Al Assad

[​IMG]

Beaker from the Muppets

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I bet nobody realizes this, but an extremely important lesson has been learned in the past few months.

If you are a country, or more accurately part of the leadership of a country, do not under any circumstances, ever, think about, even for a second, giving up your nuclear weapons program.

My guess is Tehran has taken note.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    fyp

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    If she still did, I wonder how she'd spin the first minute of this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QPX92nYXs"]Libya Revolt: BBC Journalist's Frightening Ambush Caught on Tape as Car Speeds Away from Tripoli - YouTube[/ame]

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From BBC's website with user comments.

I can't read this as anything other than sarcasm

15. melodyG

melodyG New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    After forty two years of rule, Libyan head Moammar Gadhafi was ousted Sunday, when rebel forces overtook the capital city of Tripoli (Tripoli falls to rebel forces). The fallen leader's whereabouts remain a mystery as thousands cheer in the streets. It's interesting to see where he'll finally surfaces. :D I heard it is suspected he may have fled south of the country.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saw her on a couple of nights ago talking about how people were cheering for the geat leader in Green Square, even though the crowds were the exact opposite. They had another individual who work for an anti-globalization think tank, posing as a reporter, calling for a UN force to come in and "stop the slaughter". I'm lucky I turned that off, otherwise you would be getting a bill from me for the electronics I'd have to replace. RT is teh worst when it comes to propaganda (and I've seen CCTV and TelSur).

I wonder what the over/under will be on the TNC arresting these clowns.

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I wonder what the over-under on Quaddafi spellings is going to be.

18. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    This is the first I read about the Khamis Brigade surrendering. That explains the quick collapse.

"The NTC, which includes many members with past links to the regime, has proved itself adept at negotiating the surrender of entire military units, including the Khamis Brigade, whose capitulation allowed opposition forces entry into Tripoli."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14654001

19. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now comes the "now what" question. Gadaffi has probably planned for this-- will he go on the run moving between safe houses while trying to continue civil war? Will his sons?

The answer is offer him and his family safe passage to Venezuela. Not sure either side would accept at this point.

21. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With a no fly zone over Libya can't see how he'd get to Venezuela tbh.

22. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I reckon there is more than one way to skin a cat.

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard on the BBC that his family is from a tribe that's located pretty far south in the middle of nowhere, kinda out of the way of everything. they think that's where he'll end up. out of sight and out of mind.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought he was from Sirte?

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's probably too early to tell if this is a win for Libyans, but what about Obama, and US interests in the region? Can we draw some conclusions in that regard?
    Given the fact that Qadaffi was well on his way to some kind of reprochmant with the West if late, when things started going south for him domestically, is this a positive development for the US? Even assuming that rather than turning into Iraq, or worse, Somalia, Libya becomes a relatively successful democracy, is a democracy in a region where people don't generally like us a positive development for the US? And what if (as is most likely the case) it degenerates into a civil conflict - probably along tribal lines. Is that good for US interests and influence in the region?
    And what about Obama? Is this a success story for him? Does it matter? Or will people forget by the time the election rolls around anyway? I have a feeling that if Libya is a relative success, Obama won't gain much from it. But if it turns out otherwise, the GOP will hold it against him.