Gadaffi falls?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Naughtius Maximus, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Assad bears a resemblance to an old neighbor of mine. Only skinnier.

3. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it's a boring and very America-centric discussion to have, whether Obama or Reagan or Bush deserve credit. That being said, they are grateful.

[​IMG]
    This image is from Benghazi last night. It thanks Susan Rice, Cameron, Sarkozy and Obama. Awesome to see that the U.S. did something positive and futile in the Middle East for once.

4. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could (and probably will) be argued that W set the stage for it all. Just as Reagan's massive military spending is often credited with pushing the Soviets over the brink long after he was already out of office, someone will find a way to credit Bush's actions in the region with this end result.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When it comes to dishing out the contracts hopefully the Libyans will remember this...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary...ermany-is-the-odd-man-out-in-UN-vote-on-Libya

Among allies, Germany is the odd man out in UN vote on Libya

Germany sided with Russia and China as it abstained from the UN Security Council vote to take "all necessary measures" to protect civilians in Libya. Berlin took the decision that would be most popular at home. Politicians do such things. But Germany's allies certainly notice.

Still, if they want to pay for some of it I suppose we won't stop them :)

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't "Germany." This is Angela Merkel. She is the least interesting world leader in the world.

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    You still seem to be under the assumption that Merkel actually makes decisions.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's not the KaiserFrau?

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    She has turned walking the line of least resistance into an art form. I'm not sure if it counts as making decisions if you always do what the majority wants.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Sounds like it may not end quickly. I think the average Gaddaffi fighter is more proficent than the average rebel fighter. Still hard to see a way back for Gaddaffi. Also french and British special forces are likely assisting the rebels.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2015985993_libya23.html

"But as night fell on Tripoli, it was unclear whether anyone could be said to be in control. Many of the rebel fighters who had surged triumphantly into the capital Sunday night retreated to Zawiya, the town from which they had begun their advance, seemingly spooked by the prevalence of loyalist snipers on rooftops."

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Not surprising that regular army or police would have more training than an irregular rebel. The more important question may be, "Who is more motivated?"
    Or, perhaps, "Who is getting more support?"
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-arabs-libya-idUSTRE77L6TZ20110823

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me silly, but I like uninteresting leaders. Interesting leaders get us all into a lot of trouble (interesting German leaders especially). I prefer a nice dull Cinncinatus to an interesting Gracchus. I will take Kohl over Bismarck anyday.

In any event, while I was opposed to US intervention I am glad for the Libyans that they got rid of Gadaffi. There are lots of folks worried about Islamist takeovers and the like, but with Gadaffii in power, there was no chance of freedom. Hopefully the lessons of Iraq (and Egypt for that matter) will be learned. Maybe the best we can hope for is a Moroccan or Kuwaiti style semi-free constitutional monarchy, with the old royal family being restored or maybe a similar type of republican government. Either would be better than Gadaffi.

In any event, I am still annoyed that the President had time to go to the Security Council and the GCC but not the US Congress (especially ironic given his and Biden's comments when candidates about war powers). He clearly violated all but the most liberal readings of the War Powers Act, I leave the pure constitutional question aside. We can argue why he did this. Partly I think he was surprised it took so long (the War Powers Act gives 60-90 days and at the begining it seemed it would be over by then). Partly because although I think most of the Republicans would have come onboard, he would have faced large defections of Democrats, especially in the House. And that would have been something of an embarrassment.

If you want to watch some unintended comedy, if you get RT (a Putin connected Russian cable network) or PressTV (an Iranian network) check out their coverage. Last night PressTV featured an interview with Thierry Meyssan, the French 9/11 and Holocaust denier, who has turned up in Tripoli to support Gadaffi. RT has a really funny discussion a split screen interview of some American "anti-war" activist in one screen seemingly claiming (somewhat improbably) that the rebels were both (i) going to impose Sharia law in Libya AND (ii) were tools of the Israelis. She also claimed that the rebels had no support in Libya and that Tripoli was turning on them, while the other screen showed crowds in Tripoli celebrating Gadaffi's fall. I doubt anyone at RT has a sense of humor, so I think it was unintentional.

For the best coverage, you should watch al-Jazerra, which is my network of choice for the middle east. They are fairly balanced on Middle East issues, on other matters though it do not trust them as much.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long as the government of Qatar approves yes. ALthough you won't hear anything negative about Saudi Arabia.

15. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is true but it still remains far, far, far superior to any American networks and even the BBC for that matter.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Domestic American networks are horrible, but BBC isn't all that worse than Al-Jazeera.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Beeb's problem arises when their employees start interviewing people in their own backyard a few shades darker than themselves about civil unrest. :D

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I honestly have to admit I didn't get a chance to watch anything about the riots in England, but I guess everybody seems to have those problems.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    She's a super-PM!

That isn't really fair though - Gracchus (I presume you're talking about Gaius rather than Tiberius) wasn't really a "leader", he was one of many members in a parliamentary system and certainly never rose to any kind of executive position.

20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anybody who has no idea what that means, nicephoras read that I called today's Prime Ministers Super-PMs, citing a 1964 news story in Britain that said Prime Ministers are becoming more ubiquitous in campaigns. He took that and read the following:

Because nicephoras isn't smart enough to find his ass with two hands and a flashlight, he decided to use his idiotic interpretation of my citation to mock me. Please, if any of you are his friend, slap him. Like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp3x6l5dZp8"]I'm Rick James Slap! - YouTube[/ame]

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I don't want to get involved in any feuds here ;) - but your first two posts in that thread were at the very least easy to misread that way, as contrasted "Super PMs" with "committee-style of government" and (in a quote) gave "huge powers regarding decision making" as one of their main characteristics. Either way not worth to argue that much over :).

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL
    Boy, you gotta love RT haven't yer. Somehow it seems even more idiotic when said with, (mostly), a British accent. Not sure where they get these people from... the local british loonie bins I guess.

Mind you, they seem to find enough willing fellow nutters from other western countries too.
    VG has something of a problem with the BBC for some reason... not sure why.

I saw one interview where a BBC female was interviewing Darcus Howe who seemed to be under the impression that he was allowed to talk bollocks and incite attacks on police officers because, a) he's from the West Indies, and, b) he's old
    Let's hope she ends better than they did, eh? :D

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Ah Germans - always the font of politeness :D

(I don't much care either way, really, but I just couldn't stop laughing at the description of Merkel as a super PM vis a vis someone like Gladstone :D)

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovw5sE47aB4"]SLAP[/ame]

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München