Future of the GOP

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that still the place where the Feds do all their printing?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    printing? you mean the GPO?
    I honestly don't know. I live in Denver, and Colorado Springs is about as far South as I go - at least directly. when looking for things to do, places to see, I usually go West, Northwest, or Southwest, and sometimes North. but almost never East or South.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

On the biggest political story of the year, the conservative media just got its ass handed to it by the mainstream media. And movement conservatives, who believe the MSM is more biased and less rigorous than their alternatives, have no way to explain how their trusted outlets got it wrong, while the New York Times got it right. Hint: The Times hired the most rigorous forecaster it could find.

It ought to be an eye-opening moment.

But I expect that it'll be quickly forgotten, that none of the conservatives who touted a polling conspiracy will be discredited, and that the right will continue to operate at an information disadvantage. After all, it's not like they'll trust the analysis of a non-conservative like me more than the numerous fellow conservatives who constantly tell them things that turn out not to be true.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blast from the past--Sat. morning cartoons & public announcement tv ads.

GiuseppeSignori and Barbara repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It won't be. The core will convince itself that its pollsters were correct and the mainstream polls were biased for the left. Not sure how it will do so, because admittedly that's quite the stretch, but it will figure out a way.

Because the alternative is acknowledging that the mainstream/NY Times might be correct about something and Fox was wrong. And that's not going to happen. Ever.

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way way back in the day, the government used to print all these informational pamplets about, well, almost every freaking thing. If you wanted one you had to send a self-addressed stamped envelope to an address in Pueblo, CO. There were commercials and things on TV about it. So, Pueblo was the first place in Colorado I ever heard of as a kid.

7. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a direct quote in there that should probably be in quote tags.

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm. I guess that was before my time, but it looks like I was on the right track http://pueblo.gpo.gov/

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that. I think Rove's on-air meltdown, with Baier and Kelly tip-toeing around him to second-guess the networks' own statisticians might be a tipping point. There are, after all, real journalists and professionals at FoxNews who accept the punditry and the antics of Hannity and Company, but that might have been the moment where the sane people in the building decide they've had enough.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no confidence in that at all. I believe that they will double-down on the crazy. Maybe a few reasonable people will break away on the margins, but I don't expect the conservative bubble to pop at all.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I agree. Shep Smith has looked a moment away from an "I'm mad as hell" moment for a few years now, and it has happened.

I feel like Megyn Kelly is the norm - she's smart enough to know better but also knows who pays the bills. No, not Roger Ailes or Rupert Murdoch. Advertisers who target the wingnut audience.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incumbent Blue Dog.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

When I was in junior high, we had to order one each year. I usually got a gardening one for my mom. I think it was mostly a civics lesson.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unintended comedy -

Not conservative enough. Yeah, you go with that.

15. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another Obama failure. oh wait, wrong thread...
    if this nutcase thinks Romney was too moderate and was foisted upon them, why did she accept him? why didn't she nominate a more conservative candidate? because someone more conservative could never win a national election? ding ding ding, dingbat! maybe that should tell you something, silly lady. your views are too extreme for the majority of the country. so either you moderate your views, or you accept perpetual second/third place.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember Prop 8 in California? Lost the vote because of the high black church-going turnout. But that was a Republican social value that failed due to democratic voters. IF the reps figure out how to get this group, they will be very powerful.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's kind of hard to target that group while at the same time saying things like people need to get their lazy asses off welfare and get a job, just as it is hard to target latinos while spewing anti-immigration rhetoric, even though evangelicals/christian conservatives share many of the same values with both groups.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the problem - one is social, one is economic.

19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that, and I think there's also a latent, sometimes slightly below the surface, sometimes not so much, racism there as well.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the problem - one is social, one is economic.

21. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I really hope they keep thinking that for years to come. In fact, I think progressives should secretly prop up Rush et. al. They tend to be helpful to us in actually winning elections.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Dems had taken over or gained ground in the House, I'd agree with you. In all the celebrating that's going on, no one is talking about how the HofReps is going to ******** us royally in the next few years.

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The president will have a little more bargaining power, though, since there isn't that whole "deny him a second term" thing any more.

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    From a blogger favorite of mine. Spot on.

Obama mentions his wife in his victory speech: “…The woman who agreed to marry me 20 years ago”
    Romney mentions his wife in his concession speech: “… The woman I chose to marry”
    It’s amazing how someone’s views on equality can come out in one simple sentence​

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see the GOP as appealing to church goers as a general proposition. Nobody goes to church like African-Americans and they don't vote GOP. The GOP appeals to white Protestant suburban and rural church goers. I don't see how this matters in the least for winning Hispanic voters.

Another way of putting the matter is that African-Americans might have shot down Prop 8, but the gay issue doesn't mean crap to them in selecting a President. They will be delighted to line up next to a drag queen in the polling booth in electing a Dem POTUS.