Future MLS Demographics: Canada and West Coast In, Latino Out?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by woodlands, Aug 1, 2009.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on this. For South American culture a soccer team is like family. If you’re a River Fan it´s like having a brother… You don´t trade him in for another one. But that being said. Latinos are a HUGE part of MLS. They may not cry when their local MLS team gets beat….. They may not go to every game, and may not buy the merchandise but make no mistake they go to the stadium. As one of the old members of LA12 Metrostars supports we had a lot of Argentine, Uruguayans, signing and screaming, and if one would look in our section it was a sea of club jerseys from Latin America….

Latinos are a big part of MLS… They are more the casual fan who goes from time to time….. A mix of a lot of things has to happen in order for a Latino to truly embrace a MLS club… or foreign club.. DC United is an example of a team that has out and out support from their latino community….. Things just gelled there and the Latinos truly embraced the team. Same can be said of the Galaxy…… Villarreal and Valencia of Spain are other examples of strong Latino support…..

South Americans are flag carriers, when abroad they usually attend sporting events in National team jerseys or supported soccer club back home. Take a look next MLS game you go to.. You will be shocked to see how many latinos are there.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next thing you know, Obama will respond to a briefing entitled "Osama Bin Laden determined to attack the United States" by saying "well, you covered your ass now." He'll turn a big surplus into a huge deficit. And he'll waste thousands of American lives and a couple trillion dollars invading the wrong mother********ing country. :rolleyes:

Leave this bullshit for the politics board. If you can hang.

3. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded. Nobody gives a shit about the political strawman in your mind.

That comment is almost as dumb as the "Central Americans love beisbol" comment. The problem is that by the numbers Central Americans are very small (but largely soccer loving) immigrant groups. The wikipedia article on Hispanic Americans lists out the percentages and beyond Mexicans the next largest groups are almost all from baseball loving Islands. Hell, the number of Costa Rican-Americans is virtually non-existent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_Americans

4. tritown

tritown New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Pretty ridiculous post. The canadian cities are all international cities--chok full of soccer loving immigrants and home grown native young men ( and their wives/so's ) you played soccer and know the game...... Hmmm sounds like USA west coast cities! It's just that on the USA west coast, more of the immigrants are latino, whereas in Canada more of the immigrants are asians, middle easterners and carribean folks. It's not that complicated. The NE teams just need to pay for better players and get good facilities--that means you Boston. Half way there NY.

BTW , a bit off topic.. If you REALLY wanted to replicate Seattle and Toronto ( and Portland for sure) move Chivas to downtown San Diego..... Not gonna happen. But just sayin.

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BosWash

55 million people, or almost 20% of the US population.

Muahahahahaha.

7. lala1174

lala1174 Member

May 11, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is San Diego a hotbed of soccer? I'm not taking the piss I just have never heard what the environment for footy is in San Diego.

8. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I live in San Diego and no its not. I don't think a team here would make much sense at this point in time, someday though.

9. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL! panama and nicaragua are the only ones who play baseball in central america, and football is becoming more popular than baseball in those two countries

10. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh? Lets not go crazy here. Its pulling even in Panama, but soccer is still well behind baseball in Nicaragua.

I imagine Nicaragua will be one of the last holdouts in Central America/Carib, along with the Dominican Republic and maybe Puerto Rico.

11. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i would rather be known as an 'ignored' canadian than be known as an 'arrogant' american during the bush/cheney ignorant years-- thankfully the usa and the world now have obama... but my guess is that you were a bush/cheney supporter :p

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    BTW-- canada will have 3 fantastic mls franchises with attendances due to be over 20 000 average by 2011-- how many people go to the beautiful game in San Diego? oh ya.... u don't have a franchise-- must be that u like being ignored :eek:

13. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :confused:
    It varies by location/region so coming from DC area this sounds odd since they have a large Central American population (El Salvador specifically). Coming from Houston you immediately notice the difference in Spanish.

14. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm well aware. I was at the Nats-Honduras game for the Gold Cup. Its just that DC is abnormal in its distribution.

Most of the East Coast Hispanic population is Caribbean and Mexicans tend to dominate West of the Mississippi.

Other than Chicago and LA (where the Salvadorans are still dwarfed by the Mexican population), I can't think of any large groups of Central American immigrants.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should also be noted that Vancouver isn't mostly white. Thanks to a strong Asian immigrant population, it is only 49.5% white.;) Now, Portland and Seattle, those are indeed lily white.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Seattle

The racial makeup of the city in 2004 is 67.1% white, 16.6% Asian, 10.0% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.9% Pacific Islander, 2.3% from other races, and 3.4% from two or more races. 6.3% of the population is Hispanic or Latino of any race.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, lily white.;) Certainly not Midwest numbers, but still very white compared to cities in the Southwest and South.

Portland is even worse. In 2007, they were 74% white.

18. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it is lily white. Unless you live north of the canal. And anything north of 85th (and north of 65th on the eastern side) is relatively new suburban development that has more in common with Shoreline than Seattle.

19. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Yes! Succession now! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(independence_movement)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    My days of Canadian bashing are long behind me. When I said being ignored I meant that the "rest of the world" ignores you, not that us here in "Jesus Land" do.

I don't think Americans could ignore Canada even if they wanted to, I mean you are just part of the culture here. I mean think all the good shit we get from you guys like William Shatner and Jim Carrey and Canada Dry. Just good stuff.

As far as Bush depends what part of his administration you are talking about.

The Bailout - No
    The War - Yes
    The Torture - No.

Oh and as far as Obama you can have him he is biggest mistake this country has made since Nixon.

21. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude take the politics shit to another thread. This is asking for a derailment into an Iraq War debate and/or general partisan politic pissing contest.

23. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Yes but only as long as you TAKE San Francisco with you. Any deal needs to include San Francisco or no dice.

24. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    we'll take San Jose north, plus I think the Bay Area has a lot more in common with Portland/Seattle/Vancouver than SoCal anyway.

You can gladly join us hippie pot smoking tree hugging hipsters! :eek: