Futebol dos Gringos: Football unrelated to NT and Brasileirão [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Witnessing perhaps one of the best comebacks ever in the UCL. 15minutes left, Galatasaray pulled 3 goals back, 2more to get!!

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Real Madrid as just dozing off, but nice fight by Gala.

I'm a bit shocked about the Malaga result.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow.....

And then people complain about South American officiating....

5. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Inacreditável o final do Borussia. Que jogo, amigos!

Depois do segundo gol do Málaga, já tinha mudado para o Galatasaray... voltei a ver só no finzinho. Valeu a pena.

6. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Cliffs? at work.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dortmund scored 2 last minutes goals to advance. Their third goal was a mile offsides (and so was Malaga's 2nd goal).

8. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The standard of officiating have been poor for some time in the CL.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ibrahimovic

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In all honesty, he did have a good game, but just didn't score.

celito Lucas Gomes - Alves at fault on PSG's goal. Pastore blew by him. Looked like his Brazil NT form tonight.

11. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Um no cravo outro na canela :D

I will say it again though ... I am not really a fan of his. Somehow I just found myself defending him when someone said Rafael was a much better option.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw the goal. I think you're being harsh on him on that play. They ask him to play so deep forward that it's natural that he will leave gaps in the back in the counter...much like RC used to. The first time I played at FB I gained a whole lot of respect for the ones that attack and defend. It's damn hard. But I am still not a fan of his ... ;)

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pastore even slowed down as he entered the area and Alves could block the shot.

Yeah, it certainly is taxing, but Alves used to be able to do it for Barca. The last year or so he hasn't been effective on either end and he has been caught up field on many occasions.

And yes, I know you aren't a fan of his, but you still defended him :p He was mediocre for the Seleção in when he was in his prime for Barca and flat out horrible since his decline at Barca. Out of his 62 caps for Brazil, he must have played 90% of those games poorly. Last time I remembered him doing anything well was at the Confeds Cup in 09. Such a shame that Maicon declined as well...

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you notice on the replay (specially the one from behind), Pastore slowed down a step, but he also took a touch wide (and away from Alves) before taking the shot which was really smart. It essentially killed any chance of Alves making a tackle to block the shot (IMO) and also committed Valdes to the near post side. So I don't see a problem there. If anything I thought Alves could have started his run sooner back in the midfield as the play developed. Which is why I mentioned his offensive duties. That's the part I thought you were criticizing him for.

I think Alves deficiencies at Barca weren't as noticed because the team used to do a great job at pressing the opposition up top. As the whole team is getting older, I can tell the pressure up top is not as good as it used to be. And I think that exposes Alves more.

But oh well ... it's pointless because he sucks for us regardless of his real or perceived form for Barca.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And is that one of your reasons why Barca's defense has been poor this year?

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IMO yes. That's a big part of it. Puyol getting older and injuries haven't helped either.

I won't deny Alves has also lost a step. But my problem with him has been more about positioning. If he is going up too much and leaving avenues in the back, than that's a coaching problem. If he is leaving avenues while being back there, than it's definitely his fault.

18. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alves decline at Barca?!

He has been great lately. In the first leg he was the best player on the pitch.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. I won't delve into too much detail, as it has been discussed at length in various threads on the forum.

I only saw the highlights of the first leg, so I can not comment. In the second leg, howver, he was one of the worst players on the pitch. PSG was creating most of their dangerous play on the right side of Barca's defense. Their goal resulted on the right side and dangerous plays like Ibra's cross for Lucas' header was on the right. Alves was either beaten or no where to be found. In attack, he received several balls WIDE OPEN on the right and he either lost the ball attempting a dribble or carelessly gave the ball away with a horrible pass.

For more Alves discussion: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/seleção-2013-general-discussion-r.1980922/page-37#post-27306490

20. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not saying he was great against PSG. I just reacted on the "decline" of his at Barca. He's having a great season. At the Barca forum here at Bigsoccer he is currently 4th in the voting of "Man of the match" so far this season, only Messi, Iniesta and Xavi collected more points than him.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So you think he has been better than Busquets and Alba this season?

22. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    About as good as them. Busquets is more consistent, but he is one of the most consistent players in the world. Alves had some great games and some less great, but overall he's having a good season.

The point is that he isn't in a decline, he is still performing at the top level. Probably still the best RB in the world.

I just think that the whole discussion has got out of proportion, specially on this board, where he is always the one to blame, like he is the biggest problem of the NT. And I find it ridiculous when I see all kinds of names mentioned, like they would come and save the Selecao from disaster.

With that said, I don't mean that he is performing great in the Selecão, but he is the best we got. At club level he still performs great though. In order for him to do so with the NT team as well we need to have a working team, everyone with clear roles, and we all know that Selecão hasn't been anything close to a such team in years.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He's not performing at the level in which he once did. That's the point. By definition, that's declining. Or do you think he's playing as well as he ever did at Barca? If so, I disagree.
    Also, I'd take Lahm and Piszczek over Alves.

You are right, he isn't the reason why we are playing poorly. But he has consistently played poorly for the NT over 3 years. Even in the Dunga era, he wasn't deployed as a RB. He replaced Elano as a right midfielder. There are other RBs that have proven they deserve to be tested more and have been exceptional for their clubs. One could make the argument that Rafael has been better this season for Man Utd than Alves has been for Barca.

24. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alves had some injuries earlier this season, it was during that time his performances dipped a bit. But since he has been completely healthy he has performed great, most games he has been performing at the same level as he once did.

His inconsistency has also been a result of the struggles Barca have had during the season with injuries, coach (cancer) etc.

I don't think any other Brazilian RB has performed better than him this season, nor the last years. Surely not Rafael.

One can also make a argument that the NT has played consistently poorly over the last 3 years. The team has not exactly been working like Swiss watch. No player has been performing very well for more than some games. Even when he has performed well, he has been criticized, times when he has been the only one trying to create something and everyone else just stand still.

Anyway, I think some critic that he has been getting hasn't been completely fair. I see the whole situation more as a team problem, or rather a coach problem. They haven't been able to make a team out of the group of players that we have, a quite good group of players I would say. But we always try to find a scapegoat to put all the blame on.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can say he has been poor in the biggest games thus far in 2013. He was poor last night, poor in both legs of the Milan games and poor in the last game vs Real Madrid. Sounds to me his "good" performances came against weaker sides for the most part.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of excuses for his inconsistencies when Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Alba weren't skipping a beat.

Maicon was better than Alves 2010 and prior. I disagree that Rafael has not been better than Alves. You can ask anyone that has followed the EPL this season. He has been one of the top players in the league.

Yes, the NT hasn't played well in 3 years. But name me ONE game since 2010 where Alves played a good game. Just ONE. Neymar's had good games, Marcelo, Thiago Silva, Damiao, Fred, Hulk, Oscar, you can keep going down the list. Alves can't even put a good showing against weaker opponents.

Even when a player is under unfavorable conditions, you'd expect a World Class player to show some sort of flashes of brillance, a glimmer. You don't get that from Alves on the NT. It's very rare to even see it.