Futebol dos Gringos: Football unrelated to NT and Brasileirão [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Yes, I completely agree. In all honesty if I had to put a WC squad together with my life on the line, he'd be a starter for me.

2. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    LOL. Portugal 3 - Israel 3

Yes, I typed that correctly, ISRAEL

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Where was CR7? :D

4. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Got hurt, was limping around

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mexico choking big time against Honduras just blew a 2 goal lead in 2 minutes lol.

6. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    They have a decent team, and are tough at home. They won de virada against the US also.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't see it, but I saw that Spain tied Finland at home. Spain had over 80% possession lol.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    not to impressed by Honduras I won money picking them over the usa last round at least. I wonder how the Us vs Costa Rica match will go.

9. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'd be afraid to watch that. They have no D at all. luckily ND is playing at the same time, so I dont have to go through that torture.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There will be plenty of commercial breaks lol.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know some people picking Iowa St. Georgetown wants to F my bracket! lol

12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I know a couple ND fans that picked Iowa St. They choke in the tourney every year, let alone having to go out west and play the late game.
    Gtown, theres no way they keep shooting like they did in the 1st half.

13. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    nah nevermind, your bracket is F'd

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    God damnit, ND! You jinxed it!

15. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    LOL, i switch over to espn and its a blizzard. That's a f'n disgrace for a qualifier. I never again want to see another fellow USMNT fan bitching relentlessly about a central american team scheduling a mid-day game in the summer.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And they struggle to win. Could the US possibly miss out?

17. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think so to many teams losing points at home.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain beating France in a tight game. Always great seeing the French losing. They'd leapfrog France in the standings with this result.

Israel beating Northern Ireland making things complicated for Portugal who remain 3rd on GD.

The Argies are holding on to a 1 x 1 in the altitude of Bolivia ... always a tough place.

And England are tying Montenegro which would keep them in 2nd place :whistling:

Mengão86 repped this.
  19. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    USMNT bout to take another in their new 2nd home :).

And what'd with this 10:30 bullshit. I'll be lucky to make it until the half, without falling asleep.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Germany wins yet again.

What's with Portugal, that they can't beat Israel and nearly lost?

Argentina did not forget the six goals they received the last time they went there and deployed a team with 5 zagueiros. I guess it worked, because at least they didn't lose. Better a tie than a historic humiliation.

Uruguay in sixth after losing to Chile 2-0, and Ecuador routs Paraguay 4-1. I didn't think these two teams would be struggling. And Venezuela beats Colombia 1-0?

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Makes you wonder how we'd fit into the bunch had we been playing in the qualifiers with our struggles. I've always wondered why they don't make the host country go through the qualifiers. Sure, you are qualified already, but they are better tests than most friendlies you can schedule.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I believe Portugal lack a good coach. I think they will make it, but they'll have to go through the playoffs. If UEFA doesn't do seeds, which I believe they did last time, they could cross France. That'd be interesting.

Paraguay has had a very long good run in SA and making to the WC. It's about time they struggle.
    It would be nice to see Peru regain some of it's aura from the 70s back. They've had bad teams for way too long.

Suarez punched a Chilean in what appears to be the face yesterday and could face suspension. Great player but damn he has some serious issues.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I hadn't been following CONMEBOL qualifying, so it is only now that I've been made aware Paraguay is last in the standings. This is a team that was in 1998, 2002, 2006, and 2010, and I'm surprised, as their teams tend to be tough in the Libertadores. Perhaps Libertad should represent Paraguay in the qualifying matches. :p

Uruguay in 6th? What happened to the 2011 Copa America championship team? Perhaps they need a serious rebuilding effort.

Ecuador, Chile, and Colombia looking steady, even though Colombia lost to Venezuela.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Uruguay's coach is on the brink of being fired, it seems. What's happened to the 2011 side? Let's be honest: their campaigns in both the WC and Copa America were driven by the brilliance of Forlan and gritty defense. Forlan's form has dropped. Their defense is starting to show its age. Lugano hasn't seen regular football in a while. They have talent up front in Suarez, Cavani and a promising player in Gaston Ramirez, but they need to shore up the rest of the midfield and defense if they want to reach the level they demonstrated a few years ago.

Losing to Venezuela on the road isn't as shameful as it once was. Venezuela may still not be a good side, but they aren't the pushovers they were in the past. I don't think teams outside of Brazil and Argentina can expect to leave there with 3 points anymore.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    In other words: it's time to rebuild.

You mean teams other than Brazil. Argentina lost its last match there 1-0 in a World Cup qualifier. We did lose to them 2-0 but that was a friendly in the United States during one of Dunga's worse moments. We've never lost a competitive match to Venezuela.