Fulham Yourself If You Don't Believe It: Dempsey VI

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    Shea does not have the technical ability for the EPL. I think he would be a much better fit for the SPL.

2. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might as well stay in MLS if the only offers are from SPL teams (who likely can't afford him anyway). Why would any player move to the SPL now?

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a better league than the SPL especially now that Rangers won't be there.

4. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    well it would have to be Celtic. Even without Rangers the SPL is still a higher standard than the MLS. Plus it's a more visible league as far as being scouted and making a move to a better league.

5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you feel this is accurate but I think you'd be in a minority (possibly of 1) with that opinion. Even longtime Celtic fans have to be worried about the state of the SPL, especially without Rangers.

drgonzo repped this.
  6. clintcottage

clintcottage Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    nope

Werdman89 repped this.
  7. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    well its just my opinion. I was in Scotland last year and went to several matches : Hibs vs Hearts and Dundee Utd Vs Celtic. And it was clearly a better standard than the MLS.

It's hard to compare MLS to other leagues because of DP's paired with players who are on very low wages. Usually you can compare leagues by just looking at wages. But thats not the case here.

Look at someone like Luke Rodgers. Was a star at NY Red Bull but couldn't get a contract in the UK, went to Norway and got cut.

8. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I'm going for a hat trick of threadjack eliminations today: the MLS versus SPL debate, like the MLS transfer policy debate, has long since played itself out here. Further, it's not even remotely relevant to this thread.

Zak1FCK and Dead Fingers repped this.
  9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Milan just sold Ibrahimovic and Silva to PSG for $65m. They could become a player
    in this. Clint would be a good fit for them, and Clint could play on longer deal(s) there
    too.

There is certainly US bias against Clint from some fans of other clubs. If he were English and
    had scored same amount, they would be salivating to have him. Amazing how so many clubs
    want the young, unproven continental players vs. proven effectiveness.

It is definitely true that Clint has less miles on him, so he is not a true 29 years old. He is not an 'all speed' guy either, and relies on off ball movement and physicality to get to spot. He could be effective in Prem until mid-30s, but certainly he has 3 great (sweet spot) seasons ahead of him.

He could be instrumental in getting a club like 'Pool back into top 4 (which the training wheels Italian forward won't do)

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    1. great find. who knew any business was done after 6pm in Italy and France?
    2. How can you be a new member, having signed on in 2008? AC Milan and Chelsea were always the best fit CL teams. If he went to AC Milan, I would be genuinely excited about Serie A-wful.

supercooper repped this.
  11. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    (New member) All I did was post, dunno.

There are likely family considerations, but certainly Milan or Paris (PSG) for that matter
    are great cities if you are making coin (or even if you are not). Beat the hell out of Newcastle.

I think Newcastle is a fluke anyway and they will slip back down.

I think Clint dreams of Arsenal, but Wenger is too set in his ways (and will continue
    to land in the 4-5 spot because of it). Van Persie probably saved Wenger's job last season,
    and Wenger might not look so great halfway through this one. No way the newbies
    so far come close to Van Persie's production. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal is kept out of top 5 (barring better transfers in). I think Clint would materially help Arsenal.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carroll would be money at Fulham. He's a battering ram he just needs service.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really so amazing? The U.S. boards fawn over Euro-American and MLS rookies as the next great savior of the USMNT all the time, and often w/o seeing them (the Euros) play a minute of pro ball oustside of a youtube clip or two.

bungadiri repped this.
  14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many posters have talked about a bias against Clint from other teams' fans. What are the fans' concerns? Is it purely an age issue, or is it something different?

While he ain't a warm and fuzzy rah-rah kumbaya kind of guy, all he does is force his way into the team through his talent and hard work, and when he is in the side, he produces. I can't understand why the guy's track record isn't speaking for itself. IMO Clint will be a steal for whomever gets him. I bet he's got 4 more years of really high level quality. He won't have a lot of transfer value after those 4 years, but what he produces will dwarf any future transfer fee shortfall.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the World Cup in 2014, Dempsey will be 31 and still have a few years left in him.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's because he's not a 19 year old Dutch wonderkid. That's the kind of player a lot of fans of "big clubs" want to see their club being linked with.............not a "really good" 29 year old American.

It's just the nature of the beast. Once he's on one of these clubs and they see what he can provide..........they'll love him.

BarcaLover, sXeWesley and ttrevett repped this.
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Say this for borini that's the dumbest goal celebration I've ever seen

19. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Couple of issues I can think off:

1. The stature of Fulham. They simply are not a hugely popular club that regularly plays CL football or has a huge fanbase, so I think there are many fans (even in England) that see relatively litte of them, unless they play against their team. Fulham are also not seen as one of the typical development clubs (like the clubs from the Netherlands or Portugal), that countries go to for top young talent, and whose top players are constantly in the news.

2. The age alone is not so much a problem, as the age- price balance. If Demsey were on a free, I suspect many Liverpool fans would be much more keen on the transfer. Looking at the Liverpool forums, the price (which imo is high) is the most common complaint. Also, Dempsey is turning 30 next season, this is his last big transfer, so he'll probably expect big wages. And yes, there will likely not be any re- sale value, and the club has to eat a financial loss, at least at first, because there is no guarantee that Dempsey would help them back to the CL.

3. This is just my personal opinion: American fans seem to underestimate the importance of transfers. In Europe you don't have any redressive issues such as the draft or security net like no relegation. If a MLS club messes up it's transfer strategy, well, it's no big deal, better luck next year. For a European club, getting it wrong on the transfer market can really land a club in serious trouble (unless you are sponsored by a Sheik or Oligarch who doesn't mind running up losses of several 100 Million Euro). So of course fans discuss a lot about the merits and the negatives of a player, often very controversely.

4. Lack of American players at top clubs. As long as American players have not established themselves at big proven clubs, there will always be the suspicion that a transfer is only done because of the American owners and to "increase shirtsales in the US" (which is BS, in my opinion, but commonly expressed). The same used to be levelled, and occasionally still is, at Asian players, for example.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    17.27 BST - DONE DEAL - Hugo Rodallega has completed his move to Fulham. The former Wigan striker joins on a free transfer and has signed a three-year contract. "I wanted to stay in England and I’m delighted that I now have this opportunity with Fulham," he said.

Good pickup

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Cant decide what i think about Rodallega. His first season he looked class but then last season he looked completely lost.

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    A year with McLeish would ruin messi.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States