Fulham Yourself If You Don't Believe It: Dempsey VI

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I don't understand why people don't get I really rate Gylfi and remember I did not make the original comparision. Obviously Reading aren't goign to get Gylfi or Dempsey now, but if it were choice I'd take Gylfi back everytime. Dempsey is a better player right now, but IMO Gylfi has the potential to be something really special.

Anyway about Dempsey to Liverpool: I wouldn't worry too much about the fans, if this were Arsenal or Man Utd he wouldn't be attracting as much negative comments from the fans. The reason is that Liverpool fans are worrying more than anything else about a 'slide from greatness', so any signficnat signing that isn't a massive name or a wunderkind is going to attract criticism.

neems repped this.
  2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen more hate on Dempsey from Liverpool fans than Arsenal fans.

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I have seen way more Arsenal fans than Liverpool fans that want Dempsey.

4. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it hard to check each teams respective forums and read through a few pages? Especially looking at the red and white kop forums link posted earlier, just about every post was ripping him apart.

Edit: heres a link, have a go http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=295148.0

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember last year when Dempsey was linked to Arsenal, he became part of the Gunnersaurus meme
    [​IMG]

This is what we're down to, debating which club's fans hate Clint Dempsey less?
    Let's face it, any time an American player joins a European team within a reasonable range of where they should be playing based on their talent level, the initial fan reaction will be negative. It was when Dempsey first joined Fulham, it probably is for Bradley at Roma and it probably will be for Dempsey wherever he ends up this season. So root for our guys to do well but learn not to give a f*** about the opinions of their ignorant fans (unless you're a self-loathing Eurosnob)....

sXeWesley and derek750 repped this.
  6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If Arsenal were to lose Walcaott and RVP, then the likes of Giroud, Podolski and Dempsey could be a lethal front 3 with Rosicky, Arteta, and Song behind them.

7. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 goals in 07-08, 7 goals in 08-09, 7 goals in 09-10, 12 goals in 10-11, 17 goals in 11-12. I mean look at those freakin numbers, they keep freakin going up! He is at the peak of his career with no signs of slowing down. That is all that needs to be said!

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Liverpool fans support a club that finished even with Fulham last year (and Fulham scored more goals) and only 4 points ahead of Fulham 2 seasons ago can turn their nose up at Dempsey. What a deluded fanbase.

9. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool is one of the last places I wanted him to go. He's better than that mess. At this point in his career, he needs Champions League. Plus, there's no way in hell I'll buy a Liverpool shirt.

adi21 repped this.
  10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably think they can get RVP lmao! They need to realize that Dempsey is one of the best players they can get right now.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Liverpool fans are worried about overpaying for an aging player who has only had one truly "great" season.

If Dempsey was 26 or younger and had two seasons of 17 goals then you'd see more excitement.

I love Dempsey and will buy his shirt if he comes to Liverpool but you guys need to chill.

Signings like this can work - a good example is Arteta at Arsenal last year.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  12. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    All of those players are far far better then Dempsey. Come back to reality please.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ba, Hazard and Suarez have hardly put together the club or international resumes for you to throw such strong statements.

Clint stay at Fulham.

MickeyMoney repped this.
  14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is a BEAST come back to reality please. :ninja:

adi21 repped this.
  15. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Ba, but I think almost all objective observers would disagree about the other two.

Suarez is a great player. Scored 81 goals in 110 matches for Ajax. Been really solid in the Prem so far. Also lead his team to the quarters of the most recent World Cup and has a great international track record of 28 goals in 54 games.

Hazard has won Ligue One player of the year twice in a row. Benzema, Malouda, Essien, and Drogba are some of the other names who have won it within the past decade. Not bad company. Hazard hasn't proven himself in a top 4 league, but France is a good league and he has been a superstar there. He is more highly-regarded by just about any metric.

I think American fans sometimes get a bit too polarized in their opinion of American players. Dempsey is a good player who could add something to a lot of good teams, but he is not widely-regarded as world class, if by world class you mean someone who could walk into any team in the world and get minutes. IMO Suarez and Hazard are world class.

USvsIRELAND and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  16. clintcottage

clintcottage Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Liverpool fans are surprisingly clueless in regards to Dempsey. When has Clint ever been a striker? He played a handful of games at striker last season when Fulham were short of options up top when Zamora left and Pavel wasn't there yet or hurt. This is a mystery to me. Even some of the rumor mill papers have him listed as a striker. Am I missing something? Maybe they are confused by his goal scoring return? I keep reading things like "well, he only scored in double digits the last couple of seasons", or "his only great year was last year". This is an argument used by many to dilute his overall quality. Fact is, Clint plays midfield or attacking midfield. Could his excellent goal scoring record actually be confusing ppl in regards to his natural position? His timely runs around the box are better than most strikers so maybe that's whey ppl think he is a striker. I actually have been so boggled by this that I looked up Fulham's whole last season of fixtures, and got halfway through their season before I realized that he hadn't played striker yet and I wasn't crazy. How many midfielders have scored more goals than Dempsey the last 3 years in the PL? Lampard? Van Da Vaart? People are getting confused about Dempsey's value on the field because he isn't getting top dollar in the transfer market, which is clearly attributed to his age. I have no qualms with this. He is almost 3o and L'Pool would be wise to pay 10m or less for him. Liverpool would be lucky to have Dempsey play in their midfield, if Arsenal doesn't get him before they do of course. Clint can play striker, but he is a left sided midfielder.

17. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Add me to the list of people who would hate to see Dempsey go to that underachieving mess of a club with such a despicable, racist, trashy fanbase. Seriously the worst club ever.

18. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    I think he was offside for that goal but at any rate it wasn't allowed so it doesn't count.

19. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

Now swiftly removed from the Liverpool website.

20. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Stats aren't the only thing although I could make an argument for Ba, Hazard, and Suarez. DIMITAR BERBATOV has already gone some ways to doing that for me with Hazard and Suarez.

Demba Ba throughout his career so far has averaged just below (0.497) a goal every other game. That's an absolutely ridiculous strike rate.

21. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If L'Pool were in CL play, this move would make a lot more sense. Instead, it's a move that makes no sense

A. Dempsey said he wanted CL football. Unless he brings Liverpool there, it's not gonna happen soon

B. Liverpool finished tied with Fulham on points, why go to a club that didn't do any better? Plus, Liverpool isn't even the best team in their own city at this point.

C. Arsenal would make a LOT more sense, they're in the CL, and he wouldn't have to move.

adi21 repped this.
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Liverpool FC communications director...
    Jen Chang@JenChang88
    The Twitter images being circulated of the Clint Dempsey player profile on the LFC website are fake. Disregard them.

USOutlaw16 repped this.
  23. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Alfonso Alves scored 47 goals in 39 games at Heerenveen. Touting Dutch scoring exploits doesn't equate to EPL exploits as the previously mentioned player proves.

To be clear, I'm not saying Suarez sucks. Just saying his Ajax scoring record is irrelevant in this debate.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    How long has Chang been at Liverpool?

25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew