Fulham Me Twice, Can't Get Fooled Again: Dempsey's Return

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Dec 28, 2013.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why do those Euro pros look like complete fanboys in the pics?

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is there really support for putting an NBA team in London?

3. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the sports blog had an article on a potential NBA expansion into multiple European cities creating maybe a European conference/division. How that would play with the 4 games in 5 nights scheduling the NBA likes between teams on the US west coast and Europe could be interesting.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not in the 18 today.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fulham barely scrapes out a tie v. ten man Sheffield United. Despite playing Taarabt and Bent much of the second half, it took a smokin' hot 75 min Talladega shot to save Fulham's bacon.

Dunno why Demps was not in the 18.

6. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Is he okay health wise?

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This is the only thing I've found:

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen defends tinkering after Sheffield Utd stalemate

8. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article is not up yet, but Kicker is reporting that Fulham is pushing to sign Kaiserslautern's Simon Zoller. He is saying no, but Fulham is obviously looking for a forward.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well at least Clint is learning the art of bunkering and defending on this loan. We'll be having to do a decent amount of that at the WC.

10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    2010 Bob Bradley's team yes, however we don't do that anymore under JK - see Italy, Germany, Bosnia, Brazil etc. I know against Germany's 'A' team we'll probably have to a bit, but vs. Ghana and Portugal I don't think you'll see us play that conservative.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know it depends on the results. If we beat Ghana I could easily see us play extremely conservative against Portugal especially if Portugal gets blown out by Germany in the first game.

12. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, bunkering in 2010. I didn't see that in the World Cup. Considering we outpossessed Slovenia and Algeria, and were basically even with England and Ghana. This is a myth that needs to die.

Now in the 2009 Confederations Cup yes, we can argue in 2009 we bunkered to set up the counter attack. Of course, we would never win a possession game against Spain and Brazil.

Regardless, a team needs to be able to play both styles in order to succeed.

13. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham have a game tomorrow against Southampton in the Premier League. RM sent out a fully changed side from the Arsenal game last weekend and started a trio of youth players (Tankovic, David and the RB) and a fourth (Pulman) came on after Riise got hurt in the fourth minute. It was not a good performance (but also not as abject as it may seem from press reports), but it seems like no one that will start Tuesday was in the 18 yesterday (besides Steklenberg). Bent and Taarabt are not starters for Fulham and both showed why yesterday.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

If you check out the actual results of the team under Bradley, it will quickly become obvious to you that we were significantly stronger offensively than defensively. That is an objective fact. Further, we had a terrible, terrible record of holding on to results, which obviously is not the mark of a team that bunkers.

Fanatical Monk and HouseHead78 repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh, midweek EPL games

PS. It's actually Swansea.

petezuke17 repped this.
  16. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    "Bradley Ball"?

17. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Southampton is on the weekend (Feb. 1st), I got the two games switched in my head.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dempsey scores tomorrow.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too. The key for this whole tournament is Ghana, we win we have a chance, we lose, we need a miracle.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Absolutely this. Everything hinges on getting a result, preferably a win in that first game. Do that, and the game against Portugal is probably one of those "sit back, absorb pressure and try to steal a counterattacking goal a la Azteca 2013".

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bob didn't bunker in the WC. If you want to see the NT bunkering, watch the Italy game after Deuce scored.

MadRHatter repped this.
  22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To advance an off-topic discussion, I'd offer that rather than bunkering we kept way tooooo much space between the lines under Bradley. We were constantly scrambling to recover positions after we turned the ball over and counted on way too much 1v1 defending in space. That's why MB ran 17,000,000 miles at top speed in the WC. But that's also what gave Dempsey and Donovan the ability to find the ball in some space and create danger. Live the sword, die by the sword.

23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    Apologize for going waaaaaaay off-topic...but I noticed that Sheffield United (Fulham's opponent yesterday) is currently in League One's relegation zone. What in the hey happened to a club that just seven years ago was competing in the PL?

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    GOAL the movie...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380389/

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch those games?