Fulham Me Twice, Can't Get Fooled Again: Dempsey's Return

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Dec 28, 2013.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still a very good player, but it seemed clear to me this year that he has lost that 5th gear that allowed him to run by even world class players. Wouldn't it be nice to 'lose' your speed, still be one of the fastest guys on the field and have to rely on great technique and vision? I wish I had aged that way.

Now Beasely, he's just doing the Energizer Bunny thing...

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay everybody, we need to define this. My guess: it's an attacking move with the ball that involves flicking the ball up with your heel, pinching it with your butt cheeks and then backing into the goal while the keeper is too grossed out to do anything but grimace.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the game but from the reports he hardly had many touches and the few chances he got in scoring positions he didn't do so well. Sounds like current Dempsey. Should we make another line in the sand?

4. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    I really thought the old Dempsey magic would return for this swansong, but it was not to be.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still... could be worse. My nose could be gushing blood.

Tom Collingsworth and MPNumber9 repped this.
  6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole game. If you changed his shirt to green and increased the crowd size, it would have been no different than any of his Seattle games last season.

His work rate continues to be average at best and for what ever reason, his ability to create a shot window for himself continues to be almost nil. He is just so slow with the ball at his feet around the box which is likely a combination of his skills eroding and his confidence at an all time low.

7. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Looks like SKY Sports gave him a 5 for the match saying he was "largely anonymous".

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Chimp has to say about the game, calling Mr. Chimp

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann was on a call yesterday where he again talked about Altidore, Dempsey, Jones, Bradley and Howard as the spine of the team. He said that those are the players he expects to pick up the others, that when things aren't going well on the field to make something happen. Clint needs to get to 90 minute fitness to fulfill that expectation.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Would've been a decent showing if that was his first or second match of the loan. Least he got a chance to play a final game, though.

11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey still plays soccer?

12. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    How often have you heard the match commentator calling a player "a stroller on the pitch"? That's how he described Dempsey in the second half and I couldn't agree more. To be honest, Dempsey has been strolling a lot in the last year and a half.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Tony Gale is an ex-Fulham player who must be concerned of their position at the bottom of the table so likely to be hyper-critical of perceived lax effort by any Cottagers. He is also an ex-defender which may have had something to do with his frustration and comments on the play where Clint has the ball around midfield and LB Richardson had just sprinted 40 yds to support him square towards the touchline. Clint gives him a pass that slows the entire play down and then kind of stands there and looks at Richardson like he should just start sprinting again and dribble down the wing another 40 yds instead of making a run to support him. Richardson has no options to pass, throws up his hands like "WTF?", and winds up knocking it backwards. This probably brought back some bad memories for Gale of unappreciated runs up and down the flank and lazy effort by a few prima donna middies and so the comments.

I think Clint was gassed very early in the second half, and that had much to do with his lack of touches and ability to do much with the ball the few times he did get it. One of the trainers for the USMNT during the BB regime pointed out that Clint is not a natural runner like Donovan and Bradley and had to work extra hard (which he did) to achieve a similar level of fitness. I wouldn't doubt that work is even harder for him at age 30.

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    The Richardson play kind of sums up Clint's decline in the past 8 months; he would never have made that kind of chance-killing pass back in his Fulham heyday. It seemed to indicate a loss of basic football smarts as well as a loss in form and fitness, and Dempsey, if nothing else, has always possessed sound football intelligence on the field.

15. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Occam's razor : his best play is behind him.

Time to get Aron and others the starting slots.

16. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    The Ukraine match will be huge for Clint. If he doesn't put up a decent performance, I think Johansson take his spot.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was good @freisland , it produced a nice wry smile on my grizzled mug.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping he'd walk out, rip off his jacket and show that he's wearing a Fulham jersey and has just re-signed for them.... oh well....nice dream... :sleep:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure he'd be able to make their bench.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Screenshot_2021-01-18 Clint Dempsey - Detailed stats.png
    Don't see anyone breaking those stats for a long while.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    totally forgot he went to Fulham again after Spurs.... yeah a great player - not just the quantity of goals but the quality and in big games too... scored against Juventus, Man U, Chelsea, etc....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.