Ft. Lauderdale Strikers

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Apr 29, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they ever did play in Broward. But I think what he meant in that article was that by virtue of drawing pitiful crowds compared to what the Strikers were pulling in at the time, the Sharks/Freedom reached that conclusion, and then folded.

2. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I hate hoops!

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinner!

4. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blasphemy! lol

5. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I know "retro" is the new fad and and all but...come on. Only one team can and should be allowed pull off the hoops... the legendary Celtic FC! from 1888, not Dallas, not Tampa.. Ft Lauderdale tries...but still, just Celtic FC.
    Time to come into the 21st century Ft Lauderdale Strikers!
    No matter what, I will still support you! even with the hoops!

6. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do end up making the change in 2011, this will be the Fort Lauderdale Strikers 4.0. There aren't a whole lot of other names have been recycled as many times.

And while they wouldn't have to go the red and yellow hoops route (the APSL team didn't and I don't think the PDL side did either), they should. It is an identity that people can relate to. Besides, it just looks too damn good. How about something like Partick Thistle's kit.

[​IMG]

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    How can you not love the Strikers gold & red?

Yes, dr, blasphemy is the proper word....:D

8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    RETRO ROCKS! :cool:

9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that kit. The Strikers should definitely use their old colors.

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. I keep bringing it up but it really is true, the Strikers kit is such a unique look, at least in the States, and is a HUGE part of the team identity. By wearing, and selling, them it can build a real identity between the fans and the team and it's free advertising for the team. If you see a teal baseball cap on the street, it's the Marlins. If you see aqua and orange anything, it's the Dolphins. Red and yellow hoops IS the Strikers and when MFC rebrands, if they use those shirts, that becomes the identity of soccer in South Florida again.

ckh1 is kinda right, hoops kinda belong to Celtic on the international front. But the greatest American pro team to ever wear them was no doubt the original Strikers. They HAVE to wear the classic hoops when they rebrand. They'd be downright insane not to.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    the new Rowdies are also using their old hoops, sure hope the new Strikers follow their example

12. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never even been to South Florida before but I would consider getting a Strikers jersey with the old hoops.

13. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a George Best retro like me and pb9000 have:

http://www.onionbag.com/1979-ft-lauderdale-strikers-home-retro-shirt-4931.aspx

That way if soccer ever does come to Indy, you won't be wearing a rivals' jersey :D.

It's a really nice shirt but if you do order one be prepared for a long wait. If it's out of stock they have to order it from Holland. Mine took like 2 months to get to me. Plus it's a lot heavier than today's jerseys.

14. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I just want an international friendly, let alone a NASL team. It's still a great jersey.

15. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    I would love to see the return of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers name.

The instant legacy behind the team that wore the red and yellow hoops - George Best, Nene Cubillas, Gerd Muller, Gordon Banks, Ovaldo Ardillies, Ricardo Alonso, Tony Meola, Steve Trittschuh, Thomas Rongen and so many more.

You can see what the revival of the NASL names has done for Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders, San Jose Earthqaukes, Portland Timbers and Tampa Bay Rowdies.

It seems like a no brainer for a South Florida team that will play at Lockhart Stadium.

There has been little effect from the Miami club that has bearly existed in the past few years - the change to Ft. Lauderdale Strikers would be a brilliant move.

If they do it, I'll be going to the games.

GO STRIKERS !

16. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is something I would have no problem with whatsoever.

17. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just playing Devil's Advocate, having committed and passionate ownership hasn't hurt either.

If Traffic keeps nickle-and-diming them and in general acting like a minor league club, it won't matter what the name is. Names people recognize are good, organizations that act and are first-class are better.

18. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    I certainly agree that good ownership is paramount over any name. The Seattle Sounders was only so potent in a minor league setting. Ditto for Montreal, Portland and Vancouver.

It is hopeful now that the NASL / USL tug-of-war is over the standard of the division will be better.

That said, it does little to keep thinking of cheap new names and crayon drawn logos to try and entice real soccer fans. Strikers, Rowdies and Whitecaps played real matches against Millionarios, Birmingham City and Manchester City.

But if there were an opportunity to change names (to a recognized one), this might be the time and place.

It is already known that Traffic took out the licensing for the Strikers logo and name. Now what unfolds is the question.

But the instant they take the Strikers name, all books, media guides, replica shirts and other marketing can piggyback on the great history of Best, Hudson, Banks and Muller.

The Strikers were also National Champions in 1989. Many have tried - few have won ...

GO STRIKERS !

19. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    Any news on when / if Ft. Lauderdale Strikers will replace Miami's blue or whatever they are called ?

GO STRIKERS !

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I believe the FC Miami will be rebranding to the FL Strikers next year in february or march

21. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    That is great news !

While it is not a direct link to the club of old, playing in the same stadium and using the name gives Florida (along with the Rowdies) a soccer legacy worthy of many clubs world wide.

I hope they bring a few international exhibition matches like thet did in the past.

22. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago

What I have heard the team will not be called FT Lauderdale. It will be called South Florida Strikers or Strikers FC.

23. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although some people here hate the idea of Strikers w/o the Ft Lauderdale connection, I think it is the best way to go. Then the team uses the history and cache of "Strikers" while being all inclusive with South Florida. I am less enamored with Strikers FC, but if it can placate the many possible fans in Miami-Dade by making them less offended, then so be it. Do what must be done to appeal to as many people as possible. Then, hopefully, put a competitive team on the pitch. That combination should work.

I hope....:cool:

24. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why not go with Fort Lauderdale Strikers FC? IMHO, that would be more preferable than going with just Strikers FC.

25. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not crazy about South Florida Strikers, if they brought back the colors and acknowledge some of the history behind the name (NASL and ASL/APSL/A-League) it would still be a positive. It reminds me of when the San Jose Earthquakes rebranded themselves Golden Bay Earthquakes in the early 1980's. I'm sure it was probably done to be more inclusive to all Bay Area fans.