Ft. Lauderdale Strikers

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Apr 29, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! That's great news for soccer in South Florida. Assuming Miami FC does not rebrand and take the name, they have to be called the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers(and that would be a great excuse to break out the throwback Strikers replica kit I recently ordered:D).

I'll be sure to head out to a few games since I live so close to the stadium.

The question now is, who draws more fans in 2010? Miami FC at FIU or elsewhere or Ft. Lauderdale PDL at the cricket grounds? To be honest it's a toss up.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be right, BTW the stadium looks sweet:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/ru...ements/Display+E+47116+USL/+16200461+14543300

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ''they have to be called the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers(and that would be a great excuse to break out the throwback Strikers replica kit I recently ordered)''.

1. Who owns the rights to the that name? and 2. Great to see the strikers kit make a comeback and 3. they should try to involve some former strikers like Hudson or Fogarty or Cubillas

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    But before they revive the Fort Lauderdale Strikers brand, they should check that texas based company that deals in classic sports logos

5. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got my throwback Strikers jersey as a birthday present. It's pretty sweet. I like the idea of another team in the area, but the stadium they are going to play sucks for soccer. It looks nice but the shape makes it horrible for soccer. It's ok if you stand along the fence, but if you want to sit you are very far away because of the curve of the field and stands. The stadium was made for cricket not soccer.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ''The stadium was made for cricket not soccer.''

This is what I thought as well, as a fan you want to be close to the action, not at some 50 yards

If they attract a typical PDL crowd of 100 to 200 fans and these fans will be seated at some 50 yards, ...

7. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's not the best seating configuration, but it'll work just fine for this purpose(and as I've said before it would work for MFC in a pinch). 5,000 seats is just right for USL or lower down here, and it's a beautiful facility.

8. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a beautiful venue. It stills amazes me that the field was built with cricket in mind instead of soccer. I know they were trying to lure int'l team tournaments and such, but did anyone do a demographic study of the typical Broward/Dade sports fan and determine whether anyone knows how many bowls are in an over?

I love Lockhart, but soccer-specifics are the new 1st step to be taken serious as a soccer area.

cellphone-quality video from the fence - Feb 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm1esyqGMhs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm1esyqGMhs[/ame]

9. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea was that the surrounding area has a heavy Caribbean population, but they need to play some actual cricket there to make it worthwhile. I think they've only had like one or two tournaments so far.

They just need to squeeze the touchlines as close as possible to the fence and it will be a very nice setup for soccer.

In the long term I think having a PDL club in whichever county doesn't land the MLS team(which I firmly believe will happen at some point, maybe not soon, but someday) is a great idea. Even better if they were to be affiliated. And in either scenario(MLS in either Dade or Broward) there needs to be one team called the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers(even better both the Miami Fusion AND Ft. Lauderdale Strikers). If only I were a multi-billionaire... we'd have both clubs and two beautiful soccer stadiums... ahh sweet sweet fantasy lol.

10. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Where did you guys order the Strikers replica shirt from?

11. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Nice. I see the replica is made of 100% cotton and not polyester. It's really gonna shrink after multiple washes. Did you get a "size up" in anticipation?

Sharp looking shirt.

13. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered the same one, from the same website, almost 4 weeks ago now, and I haven't received it yet. Plus I paid for the 2nd day shipping. I emailed the guy like two weeks ago and he said it was a special order and it should get to them "Monday"(the 11th) and then they would ship it to me.

I'm starting to think they are trying to build a time machine to go back to the 70's and get one from George Best himself lol.

14. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tag on the shirt says 50% cotton and 50% polyester. The numbers are a felt like material so it is a little delicate I think. We are not machine washing so that it lasts and does not shrink. But it being 50/50 hopefully it wouldn't shrink anyway. After getting one, I would definitely recommend it. Just be careful with since they are expensive.

dr, my wife got mine within a week after placing the order. Delivered by UPS ground, so I'd call them.

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting image I stumbled upon recently:

[​IMG]

I can only assume that this is the original "master plan" for redevelopment at the 441/Sunrise Blvd intersection(where the cricket stadium is now) just west the Swap Shop. Look at that beautiful, SSS looking building there. Wish that would have happened....

Of course now with the cricket stadium this ain't happening, but from this image it appears a SSS was on the table at some point in time(probably for sure had the Fusion stuck around). DAMN YOU HOROWITZ/MLS!! LOOK WHAT WE COULD'VE HAD!

16. stuartog11

stuartog11 New Member

May 29, 2009
  17. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No just a big number 3.

18. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good enough, IMO. Fantastic lookin' shirt, pb. My b'day is coming up shortly - be nice & don't ask which one...;) - and I'll be dropping a few hints to the family about an article of clothing I'd REALLY like to have..:cool:

(maybe some folks that are TPTB locally in this sport may get a hint about the direction they might go to make this sport successful in SE FL....maybe? ...possibly?...:D)

19. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  21. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the number on the back.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ft. Lauderdale is a better city for soccer than Miami.

23. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quote from the Sentinel article:

"Like the Miami Toros, Sharks/Freedom and Fusion before them, Miami FC and Traffic Sports have reached the conclusion that Broward is the true home for pro soccer in South Florida."

I think everyone is aware of the Toros and Fusion moving north to Lockhart, but where did the Sharks/Freedom play in Broward? I had moved away by that time and didn't know about this. I wouldn't think that they would have played in Lockhart as they would have had to share it with the Strikers. Ground sharing wouldn't be unheard of, but it would be a little odd.

24. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awesome. I want to see those amazing kits back in soccer!

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    And for the game against the Rowdies, LOTS of hoops on the field