FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That mess in the Eastern Ukraine is very obviously orchestrated from Kremlin. It's time to stop babying with these guys. Baton to the head, jail, court, long-term sentence is how they should be treated. In that order.

2. Fedya_Fussball

Oct 4, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/08/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSBREA370RU20140408

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry accused Russian agents and special forces on Tuesday of stirring separatist unrest in eastern Ukraine, saying Moscow could be trying to prepare for military action as it had in Crimea.

Armed pro-Moscow protesters were still occupying Ukrainian government buildings in two cities in the largely Russian-speaking east on Tuesday, although police ended a third occupation in a lightning night-time operation.

Ukraine's security service said separatists occupying the security headquarters in Luhansk had planted bombs in the building and were holding as many as 60 hostages. Activists in the building denied they had explosives or hostages, but said they had seized an armory full of automatic rifles.

The Ukraine government says the occupations that began on Sunday are part of a Russian-led plan to dismember the country. Kerry said he feared Moscow might repeat its Crimean operation.

"It is clear that Russian special forces and agents have been the catalyst behind the chaos of the last 24 hours," he said in Washington, and this "could potentially be a contrived pretext for military intervention just as we saw in Crimea".

3. Fedya_Fussball

Oct 4, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Just some of the things heard in the last 24 hours:

[1] Group of "Russian separatists" were so drunk they staggered into the square in Luhans'k barely standing up
    [2] Group of "local Russian separatists" stormed the XAPKIB opera house thinking it was the city hall
    [3] Group of "local Russian separatists" did not know where to buy vodka
    [4] The obvious Dombas vs Donbass spelling mistake
    [5] I saw a photograph were a Russian flag was attached to a pole vertically instead of horizontally so it looked more like the French Flag (well the order of colors was wrong).

Add insult to injury, pull off a terrorist stunt like in Luhans'k

And if they were truly locals in XAPKIB , why did they try to burn down the XAPKIB Oblast government building? Would not that have been the parliament building for the "Republic of XAPKIB"?

These guys can't be Russian special forces because they are undisciplined, drunk and are suffering from some serious mental retardation.

Maybe they are Putin's bastard sons.

4. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not possible.

5. Fedya_Fussball

Oct 4, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

Since you don't know much about Banderivtsi, here's a dude who will explain where the Banderivtsi are...

The thing is that you have to try and pull your head out of the sand and try to understand the language.

Something that Moskali like Dima have a hard time.

6. cesare13

cesare13 Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Absolutely not. We can't fight that way,let alone win. Human shields,torture,threatening school children and women,beating media......we dont have such vast experience in these techniques. The only way to win is to get an army in there. An army of press,of observers,of respected clergy......and let the world know the truth. If there WERE observers allowed into Crimea...un peace keepers would have been there by now. I agree that reasoning is out the window....but so is senseless violence without the respect of human life. We have to be better than that.

7. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yea they don't want to give Putin the motive to 'save' the Russian speakers. They need to flood southeastern Ukraine with press and peace observers.

Interesting how the guys in Donetsk are not nearly camera shy as in Crimea. There was a video I saw by an English guy inside the blocked off Donetsk admin building. Barbwire and barricaded, yet women inside making buterbrot for the thugs lol surreal scene.

btw fedya, not all of them are tourists, definitely some who are true locals. I've been to Donetsk and its by far my least fav city, really miserable place. everyone looks Russian there.

8. Fedya_Fussball

Oct 4, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  9. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Russian fascists good, Ukrainian fascists bad.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How do you think this would have been handled in US? Germany? France?
    Army (of any nation) is ridiculously unprepared to deal with these situations. Police force is the only way to deal with criminal movements. And the force can be and is used successfully. Just need to make sure of the police loyalty on site.

11. cesare13

cesare13 Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I would definitely agree,but this is a different situation. 1)there is a superpower army waiting to attack the second violence is used. Whether it be justified or not. 2)these people are far worse and cowardly (and poorly dressed)
    than any criminal in civilized countries ,putting lives of innocent women and children at risk without a seconds thought. This isn't a normal situation, even by terrorist standards .....the goal here is for these people to be beaten,that's what sauron wants. Ukraine can't give him that. Force was met with force in Georgia and it didn't work..... Mordor was even awarded a world cup and an Olympics!!!

12. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Our murderous regime is better than yours." sums up Russian foreign policy since the 1930s quite well.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How I felt watching UND vs Minnesota last night. Hitler vs Stalin

14. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Basically.

Btw I read some clips saying Ukraine's army would be overrun in 3 days. Are we really that incapable? I thought you said we'd hold our own and that Russia doesn't have enough troops for an easy victory lol?

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they have a enough to occupy the country for a long period, but the truth is, I think, when an army faces an opponent that they know will destroy them, they generally give up quick. The Iraqi army was a pretty formidable foe in 1991, but when the US led Persian Gulf armies faced up to them they collapsed quickly.

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Iraqi 51st Division, however, was surprisingly quite stout and held off half the invasion force at Umm-Al-Qasr for 5 days. The Republican Guard collapsed (which happens to elite units quite a bit when their moral goes down) but Iraqi grunts kept on fighting even after they took off uniforms.

17. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva

18. Fedya_Fussball

Oct 4, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Too bad Rasha can't plan to look after their own very well...

So life is supposed to be better now that Rasha has waltzed into Crimea....

Except some of the sanctions are playing on the new found residents of Russia.

Sanctions trump patriotism for Russian banks in Crimea

With Ukrainian and Western banks closing, Crimea's 2 million people have been forced to deal with a cash economy since Russia annexed the Black Sea peninsula last month - an illustration of the economic obstacles that might lie ahead for a contested region.
    Only three Russian banks have moved to fill the vacuum, the patriotism stirred by President Vladimir Putin by reclaiming "an inseparable part of Russia" falling flat in the face of Western sanctions that have deterred the country's big lenders.
    In particular, many Russian lenders have been alarmed at moves by Visa and MasterCard to stop providing services, albeit in most cases temporarily, for transactions involving banks whose shareholders were on a U.S. blacklist.
    The three are not yet able to fill the space left by Privatbank, which had the largest banking services network in Crimea with 339 branches. It closed them in mid-March.
    "There was less than 3,000 hyrvnias on my card to draw my salary at Privatbank. For me, that's not a great loss, but nevertheless it's not very nice," said Kemal Adabashev, owner of a dentist surgery. "It is getting harder and harder to do business; prices are rising."
    The head of the administration of the Crimean city of Sevastopol, Dmitry Belik, suggested banks had failed their clients in Crimea, criticizing Raiffeisen Bank Aval for closing its Crimea branches by April 15.
    Aval has offered its Crimean clients a choice - either close their accounts by April 15 and lose a percentage for the early termination of their contracts, or wait and then close them at branches in mainland Ukraine.
    He criticized Ukrainian lenders for not selling their chains to their "Russian colleagues".

WTF! You want YKPAIHA to give their branches and know how....

19. cesare13

cesare13 Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Errrrr.......weren't there supposed to be more sanctions if russia didn't "deescalate?" They've pretty much escalated every day for a month now.

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I am worried more about the events in Slavyansk and Kramatorsk now. The "little green people" appeared in Slavyansk and captured important buildings and, in Kramatorsk, police put on St. George symbolic pins.

21. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a gross overestimation of Russian force strength, and ignores the fact that Ukrainian leadership would not just YOLO into a force on force fight with Russia.

22. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as they want to pretend they are, Russia has no where near the raw strength, organization, esprit 'd corps, or tactical prowess of the US led Gulf I coalition. This is not an elite military, full of hungry senior offices eager to prove itself on a global stage after perceived failure when they were junior officers (Post Viet Nam US). Its a broken, bloated carcass of a once proud force, full of conscripted soldiers with no desire to be there, or ambition to be a fighting man (or be anything for that matter).

23. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Gottie. Played an NHL quality game, only to have some last second limp wrister sneak in off the post.

Real Corona repped this.
  24. cesare13

cesare13 Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Where do "concerned local defense forces" get hundreds of brand new riot shields?

[​IMG]