FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Gotta work with what you got. We're talking about one of the world's largest and most diverse nations here, switching to a democratic and capitalistic system after centuries of oppression and tyranny was never going to be easy.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said it was going to be easy, and personally I don't think the US should really be the ones trying to push the reform. But the fact remains, you can't switch if you never try.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....and personally I don't have that much invested in the democratization of Russia. Democracy is not the be al and end all of the problem. Generally it helps, but it's not the cure all. Other countries with large resource deposits have been able to improve the lives of their citizens without full democratization. What worries me more for the country is the sheer corruption and system that doesn't allow for any kind of economic growth that doesn't benefit a small minority of power holders.

4. DynamVostok

DynamVostok Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Moscow,Russia
    Club:
    Dinamo Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Big post here but do take the time to read.

From my observations, although support for Putin stuttered during the financial crisis the majority of people are behind the current government. Mainly because of the stats I provided earlier.

Ofcourse my personal circumstances are better then the ordinary Russian,I came to Russia 5 years ago because 40% of expats in Russia earn no less than 250,000 USD a year. The opportunity to earn a lot more money then I could in Australia at that age was too good to turn down, plus I wanted to see where my family was from. I consider myself Australian (Although born in Ukraine) and being Australian I always called the English the biggest whingers until I came to Russia and saw how much the average Russian whinges about anything, it is actually remarkable:eek:. But I came with a very negative view on the country which I now love. I think the biggest indicator that Russia is on the correct path is support for the Kremlin and disillusionment with the West runs highest amongst young, university educated Muscovite men, the very segment of the Russian population that is most exposed to the West through the the Internet and foreign travel,The Internet is no more censored in Russia than in the West.

As I also said sure there are many problems here but they are most of the time exaggerated or just lies. Actually just recently Julian Evans for Wall Street Journal and Simon Shuster for TIME stated that there was “growing wave” of emigration from Putin’s Russia? They misquoted a government official whose department had nothing to do with migration stating that 1.25 million Russians moved to live overseas in the past three years whereas the official actually said the entire post soviet period. In reality it was just over 50,000 in the past three years. Can read all about it here http://inosmi.ru/politic/20110726/172527210.html Anyway back on topic.

The main problem is Corruption and law enforcement it needs to be fixed but that will take time to be rooted out. Russian people still have continued low trust in most institutions, unsatisfactory access to healthcare and education and a very corrupt bureaucracy. Likewise, despite improvements, Russia’s demographic situation remains unsatisfactory. Russians see a government that, though it might be incompetent, corrupt, and infested with oligarchic bureaucrats is at least standing up for their interests abroad, paying respect to traditional Russian culture, and doing more for the social welfare of ordinary citizens than any previous Russian or Soviet regime.

What has been done in Russia in the past ten years deserves credit you can't go from a bankrupt nation to a 1st world country in ten years but in these ten years Russia has experienced very rapid progress, Russia receives very little credit for this probably because it is Russia. Natural resources or not, I highly doubt Russian life would have improved this dramatically when looking at the other potential leaders since the fall of the USSR. In 1991, 30% of Russians spent “almost all” their family income to obtain the bare essentials for life. Throughout the 1990′s, the period of anarchic stasis, this figure fluctuated in the 45-65% range. But after 1999, it began to plummet. It fell to 14% by 2007-09, remained unaffected by the economic crisis, and reached just 10% last year.
    [​IMG]

With regards to Ukraine, it is the worst post-Soviet performer amongst the industrialized nations, it never managed to retain its Soviet-era level of per capita output,unlike Russia, Ukraine did not have the burden of structural militarization when the USSR collapsed it also did not have to retain the expensive military forces and 'superpower' ambitions. Ukraine was in a similair position to Belarus however Belarus was shunned by the west yet still managed to do better post collapse in comparison to Ukraine. Ukraine lagged well behind Russia, not to even mention the Baltics, in its economic liberalization, and its politicians remain representatives of oligarchic clans, not their puppet-masters as in Russia. Ukraine seems very far away from improving from the sad state it is in. A shame really.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I'd like to say you are an excellent addition to the forum. Just ignore Zenit when he talks about Dinamo and we should all get along fine.

The internet may not be any more censored, but Russian journalists and Russian language media publications are very much censored. What good is uncensored internet when the certain parties are willing to kill or maim journalists who look into corruption, disappearances in the Caucauses etc. True Russia is not China, but it still isn't open and free in terms of information. Now getting people to actually find information and utilized it is something that not even Americans do well, so that's another issue.

I think you are under the wrong assumption that the current leadership actually wants to root it out. The current administration rests its legitimacy and power structure on local administrations and law enforcement units that are given free reign to dominate the local economy, in return for their support of the current leadership.

What good is it to stand up for interests abroad when your domestic policies are in complete disarray. That be like me saying, well the US is totally screwed because we spend 50% of our national budget on two social policies that are mediocre in results, but at least we kicked Al-Qaeda's butt. Which would ordinary Russians rather have? The ability to start a business without fear for your life, the need to pay 90% in "taxes," or Russia making sure that there is no security council resolution on Syria? The current policy of "standing up for Russian interests abroad" is a nice distraction from a government that is incompetent, corrupt, and infested with oligarchic bureaucrats. I am also not really sure that I agree with the idea that social welfare today is better than it was in Soviet times, although that was never an aspect of Soviet policy I ever took an interest in.

Certainly, they could be Turkmenistan.

The bolded part you'll have to either elaborate on or leave me in complete disagreement. I'm not sure any reasonable person can say the quality of life is better in Belarus than in Ukraine, even with all Ukraine's problems.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    This is very true. And it is sad, because back in the Soviet times, it was Ukraine who were given the best chance to advance in case of USSR's demise...

It suffers as much (if not more) corruption as Russia, and it has no natural resources to support its flailing economy. There was a glimmer of hope in 2005-2007 when Ukraine's economy was actually growing at rates faster than that of Russia (which is not hard when you start from almost 0). Unfortunately, worldwide economic crisis did wipe all those gains out. Again, if Ukraine could go back to a strong natural resource base they would be able to weather the crisis.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which was my basic point in bringing Ukraine into it, that when you have a huge tank of gas and oil, among other things, you can keep the lights on. Other than some incredibly inefficient coal mines, Ukraine has little to no natural resources.

Of course, it's an interesting comparison. Would you rather have an extremely apt, but not working in your best interest, leader like Putin, or a complete cluster**** of idiots trying to run the country like in Ukraine. The advantage being that you can't establish a police state or media controls because you are too incompetent.

I think the answer lies in the large numbers of Ukrainians who go to Russia to work, but come home to live in Ukraine.

8. DynamVostok

DynamVostok Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Moscow,Russia
    Club:
    Dinamo Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks mate :D:D

Under Putin 17 journalists were murded of which 5 can be definitively linked to their professional work. Under Yeltsin 30 were murdered. With regards to Internet it is not difficult to access many anti government websites in Russia, I regularly read them, I always look to find middle ground. Still the fact remains that the younger educated technology savvy generation is generally supportive of the Kremlin. No country is open and free in terms of information and I know you understand that.

Transparency International's GCB reported that 17% of Russians paid a bribe to obtain a service in 2007 which placed them in the same margin as Bulgaria, Turkey and the Czech Republic. Corruption is a serious problem but it is not as severe as reported by Transparency International which relies on foreign perceptions of corruption in Russia(Has it equal with Zimbabwe:confused:) although even they admit transparency has improved under Putin. Also According to the World Bank control of corruption was 16.5 in 2000; 24.3 in 2006; 29 in 2010. So it appears action is being taken, just not as great and effective as everyone wants it to be. Low level corruption is prevalent in Russia I see it with my own eyes, mainly due to low wages in the sectors they frequent(Education, Law enforcement) but high level corruption is no different than in the United States. Much of what would count as corruption in Russia and European countries in general goes as a matter of course in the US. Much of what would pass as lobbying in the US would invite criminal investigations in Europe.

Incomes rose dramatically, poverty more then halved, Russia became stable three things that were desperately needed. As I said before you can't simply get results immediately especially in Russia where there are some deep rooted problems that can not be fixed in 5-10 years. The majority of the population seem to believe there is a positive future. Less and less people are leaving to live abroad, I showed you the figures it is actually quite small. I see improvements being made I also see areas which need improvement getting little attention. But I don't see areas getting worse. The middle class is still growing at a good rate. I am not a defender of the Kremlin it may come across like that in a way but they deserve credit in many areas but are at fault in others. I completley disagree with some of the decisions they make but in the grand scheme of things they have done more good for the Russian people. But one thing is certain a clean out of the idiots near the top will never happen some people are more powerful then VV.

I am comparing it to the end of the USSR. Belarus is more productive then it was in 1989. Ukraine is not. Belarus suffered less of the catobolic collapse which was seen in Russia and Ukraine in the 90's and strong growth resumed earlier. This also included growth in manufacturing. They even developed a competitive micro-electronics industry. It is not bad for ordinary workers and pensioners but the talented have little chance of developing and oppression is high. All i was stating is Belarus has been a more productive economy then Ukraine when compared to the end of the USSR, nothing to do with quality of life. I think the GDP Per Capita for Belarus is double that in Ukraine though..

9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I think the answer is in alternative energy. Yes, I know it is not that simple and I am not trying to simplify it. We have huge open spaces (not like Russia, mind you, who have taiga and tundra in the waste expanses). Solar and wind power plants would scarcely find a better environment. That would be the first step for recovery, weening Ukraine off the Russian gas and oil (partially, of course). And, I do harbor an opinion often unbecoming of the liberal I am - NUCLEAR POWER must be a part of the solution when done safe.

Second step should be figuring out the most successful political formula to governing the country. No, I do not suggest changing the system. I suggest finding stable political movements that are not based on ethnic or regional loyalties. For example, here, in the states, we know what Democrats stand for and what Republicans stand for. And the formula hasn't changed in 40 years. I still don't know what Timoshenko stands for.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timoshenko stands for filling up her wallet, which differentiates her from Yanukovich, who wants to fill up Akmetov and his friends wallets. :)

11. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting things written, I am packing and will have to review in the next few days.

I wrote some papers recently on Russian legal and political evolution from the fall of Soviet Union and with Putin in charge.

A key thing to remember though, is Putin is not different from the leaders Russia has had since it began. An informal political and legal system of connections cannot be reversed by a Constitution (especially one that gave a ton of power to the President. The President can dissolve the Duma if it rejects its Prime Ministerial candidate 3 times).

A system can't change overnight, and the challenges Russia faces as a result of its history and physical size cannot be quelled instantly.

12. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some very interesting posts and perceptions; welcome aboard.

I guess I'm a little unclear as to why you could consider TI's CPI index to be an invalid source as to the level of corruption in Russia. By foreign perception I take this to mean foreign companies attempting to do business within the Russian Federation; I don't think they're polling the average joe on the street in New York, London, or Paris. I guess I would consider this a VERY valid source of data, but that's just my opinion.

As you mentioned before, the 2010 CPI puts Russia at 2.1, which is the worst in Europe (the closest non-FSU country is Kosovo), and is only "bested" amongst FSU countries by Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. This puts Russia on par with almost 2/3rds of Africa and not to far removed from the likes of Chad, Sudan, Angola and Somalia. Not an enviable distinction. As bad as corruption was during the Yeltsin years, I guess I don't really consider this progress in the right direction (the CPI for Russia in 2000 was exactly the same as it is in 2010.) I would tend to agree with RC that the vertical power structure created within the Kremlin creates an atmosphere which is even more conducive to high level corruption amongst the siloviki and even more likely to trickle down within society.

Regarding Belarus - I don't think anyone would say that they are better off right now than Ukraine, and their "appearance" of being better off was/is the result of Lukashenko's elaborate take on what amounts to a simple Ponzi scheme. The years of Lukashenko attempting to emulate VVP's "rental" economy by keeping wages, pensions and the BYR artifically high due to almost total reliance on a. Russian energy subsidies and the re-sale of these subsidized energy supplies at market rate b. oil and gas transit fees (Beltransgaz) c. the few industries within Belarus that produced a marketable world commodity (Belaruskali,) with nowhere near the amount of natural resources and energy supplies available to the Russian Federation (the basis for VVP's "rental" economic plan,) are finally coming to fruition. The BYR has lost over half its value since the December 2010 elections, when Batka used the IMF's last dole out to raise wages and pensions 50% pre-election, and the BYR is still going south. The country faces a hard currency shortage that makes any economic plan of any sort untenable and rather impossible, without an immediate injection of anywhere between 8-16 billion USD (depending who you ask) and which is or has not been forthcoming from the usual sources (Russia and the IMF.) Lukasheno, who has sworn up and down he's not going to sell off what is left of Beltransgaz (Gazprom already owns 49%) or Belaruskali, recently (last week) put up a third interest in Belaruskali in exchange for a 2 billion USD credit line from Sberbank (astonishing, in the fact that Belaruskali is probably worth in the neighborhood of 30 billion USD or better) and is actively lobbying the Chinese and Indian governments to swoop in and buy another chunk of Belaruskali (although not at the bargain rate Sberbank negotiated.) They are as close to a barter economy as any country in Europe has been in recent history. Foodstuufs and everyday commodities have gone thru the roof, and shelves in local stores in the capital now are eerily reminiscent of Soviet era stores, with everything worth anything in value quickly snapped up as the BYR spirals into worthlessness.

And say what you will about Ukraine, and the latest tragi-comic cycle of the current administration trying to throw the former administration/current opposition in jail at every turn (which has seemingly turned into a serial event in Ukrainian politics) - at least Ukraine HAS a functioning opposition and a relatively independent media (meaning: not owned by the government or one of the state-run re-nationalized subsidiaries (Gazprom, etc.), which is a lot more than either Russia or Belarus can say.

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I think you are on to something here, and I think those seeing a Ukrainian future in the EU (meaning, pretty much everybody except France and Germany, who essentially torpedoed immediate hopes when Putin showed up talking tough in 2008) would be eager to provide the technology and needed infrastructure in what represents an underdeveloped market with huge potential. My trips thru the Lithuanian countryside, I was amazed on the extensive amount of wind farms already up and running as well as under construction. Neither Latvia or Lithuania is part of the sweetheart pipeline deal Estonia has with the Swedes and the Finns, and the Lithuanians especially (since the EU mandated shutdown of the Chernobyl design Ignalina nuclear plant) have been very active in searching for ways to not become energy reliant on Russian supplies.

2. I've no illusions about Timoshenko - she's just a crook of a different color. She made all her money 91-95 and then 95-97 (when she was heading up UPS and UES, respectively, making oodles of cash much in the same way Lukashenko has done in Belarus: reselling subsidized energy resources at market prices and avoiding taxation.) I find it curious that she's being prosecuted for what I consider the least egregious of her alleged offenses - the UES years seem to be an open/shut case of highway robbery. But, she's got a pretty face and a wholesome hairdo, and she wraps herself up in the flag and her dedication to democratic process, so I guess that makes her different :rolleyes:

I always thought Yushchenko was a decent sort with his heart in the right place, just had a set of weak knees; he was a brilliant orator and campaigner, much less successful as a politician. Having said that, if I had been through the ordeal he has been through, I would probably have a set of weak knees myself. I find it interesting that Yanukovich has proven to be a little less pliable and a little more resistant to being the Kremlin stooge I expected him to be. His stiff resistance to both the Russian-Belarusian-Kazakhstan customs and trade union, as well as Gazprom's "offer" to "merge" with Naftogaz, was indeed unexpected.

14. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow brutal for Belarus. I really had no idea about their situation. I somehow, definitely ignorantly, equated their geographical position - between Poland and Russia - to mean they were somewhere in that ballpark. Did not know the reality.

15. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the battle cry of the (limited) opposition - they point at Poland and Lithuania as examples of what could have been/should have been. Keep in mind the western part of Belarus used to be Polish (Grodno was a major city in pre-war Poland, now Гродна in Belarus, and part of Poland used to be Belarusian (Białystok, in Belarusian Беласток) and the Polish/Belarusian border has been pretty leaky, if you know what I mean. The Poles are the current holder of the rotational Presidency of the EU, and have made Belarus their primary focal point; the Lithuanians, like the Poles, have been liberal in granting Belarusian opposition figures asylum and they operate (with a significant EU subsidy) the Belarusian "university in exile" (European Humanities University, http://en.ehu.lt/) in Vilnius, which just pisses off Batka incessantly.

16. DynamVostok

DynamVostok Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Moscow,Russia
    Club:
    Dinamo Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thanks for the kind welcomes Zenit :D

Another long post from me but I disagree/agree with different aspects of your post. Most of what you said about Belarus hits the nail on the head. But I feel Ukraine just lags behind in many indicators which is sad because it should not :mad: Although GDP Per Capita is not a great indicator you can see how far behind Ukraine has fallen compared to its "Less free" neighbors.

GDP Per Capita (PPP) ($US)
    Belarus-5,300
    Russia-4,200
    Ukraine-2,200
    Belarus-13,600
    Russia-16,200
    Ukraine-6,700

About corruption it is fairly established that TI's CPI index is flawed. These experts lack attention to statistics and opinion polls, they come with their own sets of biases and tropes even non appreciation of the fact that "legalized corruption" is still corruption(what passes for lobbying in the US is corruption in European countries). I see that one of TI’s sources is the Economist Intelligence Unit, which “uses its panel of experts’ assessment on the incidence of corruption. So the EIU doesn’t interview businessmen, it uses its own experts instead. OK. The Economist magazine’s political stances are well known. I would describe them as libertarian and neoconservative. Fans of Putin they’re not.

Now it could well be true that Russia(2.1) has corruption at the same level as the failed states of Zimbabwe(2.4) or DR Congo(2.0), or that Italy(3.9) is more corrupt than Saudi Arabia(4.7) a country that is a feudalistic monarchy :confused: where corruption is institutionalized in the flow of huge oil rents to privileged members of the House of Saud. Venezuela (1.9) is the same as Equatorial Guinea (1.8), and worse than Nigeria (2.5). Now I don’t doubt that Venezuelan bureaucrats pilfer a lot, but the Venezuelan state (neocon propaganda to the contrary) does provide middle income country type social services and has greatly expanded them in the last ten years (i.e. the majority of money is not stolen). In contrast, Equatorial Guinea is almost the definition of oil kleptocracy.

Basically you see my point, I would put Russia's corruption index around the 4-5 region with the likes of Greece, Mexico, Turkey and this is supported by most data too. Still poor but not in the horrific state indicated. Secondly corruption did not get worse rather it stayed the same/ slightly improved(Which you have said and I agree with from what I have seen). It is one of the areas Putin did not combat correctly during his leadership, could give him the benefit of the doubt because many aspects in Russian life improved although he did seem disinterested in combating it at the time. However, the never ending “war on corruption” seems to be no longer talk as we saw under Putin. It is fast producing results. Regional governors, especially the most entrenched (and corrupt) ones are being fired and replaced by younger technocrats associated with Medvedev’s “civiliki” group, with Luzhkov being just the latest example. There are plans to cut 20% of bureaucrats, replacing them with government e-services. The fast growth in the average bribe size is a positive sign: it indicates that the risk premium for giving and taking bribes is growing. So positive signs are present, we will have to see in the end exactly if these measures are beneficial, I have said many times, where Russia is now compared to 10 years ago deserves huge applause, now it is time to root the country of problems that are stopping it from having the standard of living seen in the west. I think the government understands the people will get restless the longer they take combating corruption

Back on the subject of Ukraine

To be fair I think Ukraine needs a stable government they need stability. What good is having two parties when both are useless. What Good is a the right to vote with no one to vote for in an election. At least the current government here in Russia has made great strides in the past decade, in some sectors they failed in many others they succeeded. Ukraine on the other hand turned into a basket case on a comedy on wheels. The population living below the poverty line in Ukraine is 35% as of 2009. It has steadily gotten worse since 2001 where it was at its lowest level of 29%. Compare this to Russia in 2000 being on 40% and today at 13%. I think the Ukrainian people deserve a government who can cut down on poverty and grow the small middle class. It might be wrong comparing Ukraine to Russia, but they should be compared as their is no reason why Ukrainians should live worse than Russians. The fact that the countries economy grew the slowest of all the developing FSU countries since the fall of the Soviet Union is atrocious. Considering it was one of the strongest during the Soviet Union.

17. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Libertarian, perhaps, but not neocon (full disclosure, The Economist is one of three print magazines I subscribe to, the others being Foreign Affairs and «Сноб».) Neocons are not as pro-commerce or pro-business as they appear to be; they let other ideological concerns get in the way of free market principles and (IMHO) are actually located somewhere way right of true "realism" or "realist" economic thought. The point that The Economist are not "fans of Putin" is really moot; they are but one source of data that TI uses in the CPI, and it is somewhat disingenuous to suggest that the EIU doesn't take the barometer of the numerous high level European and American business connections it has available to it. Furthermore, IIRC The Economist was equally if not more so critical of the Yeltsin years, although they occasionally gave Boris Nikolayevich points for trying (Gaidar, Nemtsov, etc.)

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges here. Venezuela is the South American version of Belarus, except it is a more militant version; Chavez doesn't have the pragmatism that Batka has, and pursues an active if ill advised foreign policy agenda trying to co-opt states such as Chile, Peru and of course Columbia (and his pal Evo Morales in Bolivia has already distanced himself from Chavez in the last couple of months, finally figuring out his pro-coca farmer platform has absolutely zero traction.) Now that oil has dropped below $100/barrel, the Chavez government is in serious trouble - gone is the money that is needed for such basic social services that you allude to (and FTR, those social services are only available in districts that Chavez carried in the last election.) If oil drops below $80/barrel, Venezuela goes bankrupt virtually overnight and Chavez becomes an interesting footnote in the dustbin of history.

I guess my main point is, Russia should not have to justify or explain as to why it is better off corruption-wise than Zimbabwe or DRC some 20 years after the collapse of the USSR. Transformation from a centralized economy in a country with virtually no history of democratic tradition cannot be expected to magically happen or appear withing the relatively short scope of 20 years - I get that. But there is no more dangerous enemy to democratization and an open market economy than entrenched corruption, and Russia has a serious case of this right now - the vertical power structure that Putin has engineered is by its very nature designed to protect corruption rather than to root it out. The Magnitsky case is just the tip of the iceberg. And entrenched corruption at the higher levels trickles down, you cannot deny it - in this very same thread, we've discussed news articles that has documented how garden variety GAI, MVD and OMON personnel pay (by Russian standards) a pretty healthy fee just to get their jobs, which explains in no uncertain terms their extortionist tendencies OTJ. We've discussed how higher educational diplomas are bought and sold to the highest level of Russian politicians (to include Putin's "doctorate," which was plagarized virtually word for word from a dissertation done at the University of Pittsburgh 2 decades earlier http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,518754,00.html. This is entrenched and pervasive corruption at all levels of society and it starts from on high and trickles down from there.

Ahh, c'mon. This one is just too much to swallow whole or partial. Are you forgetting that Putin himself had a major hand in taking away the regional governorships away from the electorate in December of 2004, conveniently using Beslan as his rationale and reason as to why? Putin created the regional kleptocracies by direct appointment - and you're giving him credit for turning out of office the ones who were too brazen or stupid to get noticed? Please. He may have not created the Luzhkov monstrosity, which eventually became too big for its britches (and if you think that Medvedev himself was the only gut to sign off on jettisoning Luzhkov, you are kidding yourself,) but he certainly found it convenient to co-exist with it for the better part of the decade, while Luzhkov operated in a manner which I'm sure made the Chicago Daleys and numerous Italian mafioso figures green with envy.

18. DynamVostok

DynamVostok Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Moscow,Russia
    Club:
    Dinamo Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No point going any further, we both agree Russia has corruption in its society which needs stamping out, my point is that some organizations have bias against Russia when reporting on it. I just believe that Putin is not as bad as you label him based on my life and experiences living in Russia and the transformation Russia has undergone in the past decade.

I think it is safe to say Russia is still going in a positive direction which is the main thing, not everything happens overnight. While there’s no denying Russia is plagued by corruption, to suggest it is endemic like in a failed state is ludicrous and would frankly be obvious to anyone who has visited the countries on that list. The problem with the the corruption perceptions index is that it’s a survey of outsider businesspeople and their subjective perception of the situation. As another example, Cameroon (2.4) is above Russia (2.3) in the CPI – however, some 79% of Cameroonians had to pay for a service in 2007, compared with 17% of Russians.:rolleyes:

With regards to the Economist, many times they have been picked apart by various websites online and exposed, I still read it though ;)

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and despite the tragi-comic cycle of politics here, people are very proud of their system and the fact that you can gather in city squares, which Tymoshenko's supporters did the other day in Kharkov and not have the police beat the crap out of you.

Ukraine is probably never getting into the EU. They are not muslim, so they don't freak people out like Turkey, but lets face it, France and Germany aren't signing off any time soon even if the Union was in good health, which it obviously is not. Tymoshenko still has a good deal of support here, but from the more educated ones I've talked to, the people running their own businesses etc, Tymoshenko is losing them. She carried on with the Orange flag for awhile, but now everybody has just about realized that she is the one who torpedoed the Orange revolution. The few people I talk to who have stuck with her, are those who simply can't stand Yanukovich and choose the only reasonable alternative.

Yushenko was, in my opinion sunk by his "allies" in the coalition. Allies like Tymoshenko who as you say wrapped themselves in the flag, just to get into power to help establish their wealth and expand it. Tymoshenko had no interest in expanding the anti corruption policies and weeding those problems out, because she was a problem. That and as you mention Yushenko was crippled by the Russian attempt to kill him. I've talked to people who knew him, who met and shook hands with him before and after and they said it was just a whole different man there.

Yanukovich might not have turned into a Russian patsy, but that's only because he is the patsy of Akmetov and friends, who have no interest in being Russian patsies. If Ukraine becomes a Russian oblast, they are then are longer in charge of their feudal fiefdom, but are instead ruling at the mercy of Putin. In 2004, the country looked like it was going to have to choose one way or the other, EU or Russia, and that certainly was how people felt. Now they have sort of come to the realization that perhaps the best policy is to be the Switzerland of Eastern Europe (their words not mine). To have good relations with both Russia and the EU. Yanukovich seems at least to be balancing that idea, opening a massive free trade pact negotiation with the EU while also not pissing off Russia unnecessarily.

Politics here kind of sucks, not that they are all that great back home, but if I were a Ukrainian voter, I'd probably either find a protest vote (maybe join Yaroslavsky and vote Green) or if I had to choose, I'd pick Yanukovich over Tymoshenko, which is exactly what Yushenko said he'd do as well.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, the difference between Ukraine and Russia is, while Russia has an incompetent corrupt political system that impedes true economic growth, it has natural resources. Ukraine also has an incompetent corrupt political system that impedes growth, but it actually needs the growth to keep it's economy running. If Russia didn't have gas or oil, they'd be in the same situation as Ukraine.

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    A situation entirely possible in, say, 50 years.

22. DynamVostok

DynamVostok Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Moscow,Russia
    Club:
    Dinamo Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Disagree, although Russia's political system is corrupt, I would say Ukraine's is very incompetent compared to Russia. Russia has put in some good reforms which is another reason it made such enormous strides, I highly doubt the current parties in Ukraine would know what to do with the resources Russia has as witnessed by Ukraine falling behind Belarus in economic development when it should be the other way around.

In Russia natural resources contribution to real economic growth is minimal (especially with Russian oil production now largely stagnant). The main importance lies with natural resources’ contribution to the budget, which allows taxes to be held relatively low while still leaving a lot over for investment into infrastructure and the national economy.

That is the main thing many people fail to grasp.

Anyway lets move away from this as I feel we are all just recycling our previous posts :rolleyes: and maybe discuss the coming Financial crisis around the world :mad:

Speaking of the current approaching crisis, it seems safe to say that practically all the developed world will get hammered. It also appears safe to say that China will power on (its financial system is largely independent of the global one, and collapsing foreign demand for its products can be compensated by massive government stimulus and monetary loosening). Russia is more of an either-or play. If 2008 withdrawal of credits repeats, so do the events of 2008. If instead investors flood into it away from the collapsing markets of the developed world, then it will perform relatively well. I am confident that Russia will be able to get through a crisis better then most countries since it is in better shape than most economies. Also the influx of “hot money” before 2008 though making the growth rate higher was causing inflation and damaging exports. That thankfully has stopped and is a plus compared to the situation then. But it has the potential to be hit hard in the immediate future.

The concern is that whilst oil and gas do not have a preponderant role in the whole economy oil and gas receipts account for a disproportionate share of the income the Russian government receives. When the Russian authorities talk about reducing dependence on oil and gas what they mean is that they want to diversify their tax base. The government does not want to increase taxes on the rest of the population or economy for fear of stifling growth but neither does it want to cut spending particularly on social programmes . At the same time for many good reasons the government does not want to run large deficits that it would have to cover by foreign borrowing, which because of Russia’s absurdly poor credit rating would anyway be extremely expensive. The Russian government has always intended to diversify its tax base by increasing the size of the rest of the economy so that it can carry the weight of more taxes. This was true when Putin was President and it is true now. The economic crisis of 2008/2009 has not changed this priority.

23. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Awesome.

25. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Editorial by Khruschev's grand-daughter re: the 50th anniversary of the building of the Berlin Wall & the 20th anniversary of the August 1991 coup attempt.

The Walls of August.