FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Apparently they determined earlier that it was probably another Ukrainian, not Demjanjuk. My main beef with this is that Demjanjuk's defenders claim that his accusers were anxious to get closure and simply wanted to believe.

2. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You're confusing two things, I think.

1. Earlier accusations (that were reversed by the Israeli Supreme Court) were that Demyanyuk was the famed "Ivan the Terrible". He wasn't. It was another Ukrainian collaborator - Ivan Marchenko. So, despite the fact that Demyanyuk was an SS guard, he wasn't accused of that. He was accused of being "Ivan the Terrible", which he was rightly exonerated of.

2. The current case is about his being an SS guard in Sobibor, a death camp. I think the prosecution showed well enough that he was. Tangential in this was also the fact that US authorities threw him out of the country due to lying on entry documents that he wasn't collaborating with NAZI.

3. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I thought that Ivan Marchenko was just a name that he made up for his immigration papers or whatever.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Originally, in the first court process, this was the assumption under which the Israeli prosecution acted. But then, enough evidence had been presented that Ivan Marchenko was a real person and that HE was the famed "Ivan the Terrible".

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question I think that should be important, and I don't know the answer as I haven't been following this case all that closely, is whether he willfully without pressure became a Nazi supporter and collaborator. Or to say, if he went to the SS and said, please sign me up, compared to an SS guard saying, do this or you'll be taking a shower.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Look, I am not following this case too closely either, but to me THIS has been more telling: There had been more than 3.5 million Soviet POWs, yet, there were no more than 500,000 Hilfswilige ("helpful willing allies" in german service)

And it wasn't only POWs who joined up the HiWi.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's nearly 15% of all prisoners helping the Germans. That's not a small number, especially since it wasn't like the Germans were offering every prisoner coming through the door a chance to help out if they wanted to. They needed a small number of prisoners to help control the rest, not a large population of guards to watch a small group of principled prisoners. When I think about the difference between the offer to help, ie, you're not going to be shot or not fed, compared with not helping, left to starve in the open or just shot outright, the choice seems easy to me.

This isn't like the Allied prisoners who were kept in relative comfort, and treated according to basic POW standards. Any Allied prisoners who helped the Germans should probably face some sort of punishment or at least condemnation. But any Soviet or eastern european prisoner who took the opportunity to live or dying a principled death, I can't fault.

8. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    But when you are a guard in the Death Camp, you can, probably, acquiesce that what you're doing is wrong and desert. You know what happened to a NAZI police battalion when it refused to be sent to a death camp? They were not sent.

P.S. There was a large number of HiWi who weren't POWs. That should cut that 15% number in half, or more.

9. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Djemanjuk serve in Vlasov's army prior to becoming a camp guard? If so, I don't think the "serve us or die" argument would apply.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what his story is, but if he willingly decided to help the Nazis then he is guilty (for whatever that is worth).

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he willingly joined, then he's toast. If he was a POW and had a chance to better his lot, then I can't really blame him.

The court proceedings don't really matter all that much to me since the guy is 90 something anyway.

12. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You're kidding right?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you are faced with the choice of eating or not, getting shot or not. Then I think you can judge those guys.

14. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    But what about the 3,000,000 Soviet POWs that did not join up?

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That question comes with the underlying assumption that all of them were given the choice.

16. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It's pretty weird how all of the ones who weren't given a choice were Ukrainian.

17. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    ROA weren't Ukrainians...

18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Actually, I don't know.

19. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    What about the ROA?

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

21. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Never mind, I've run my course on this issue.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Azerbaijan has no chance to take Nagorno-Karabakh back. For Armenians it's a matter of blood and soil, not so for the Azeris.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason they have no chance is the fear that Russia would side with Armenia. Militarily the Azeris would wipe the floor with Armenia.

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Can you explain why?