FSU Politics/Current Events V

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had trouble figuring this one out as well.

2. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Didn't it already blow up? More than 60 employees of the relevant Russian agencies are blacklisted (can't enter EU or North America), Kuznetsov is being investigated, Russia is locked in a diplomatic row over this with Canada and EU. I wish US were a bit more decisive on this, why wait for EU and Canada to take the lead?

4. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This same tactic employed against Lukashenko and his immediate cabal has had absolutely little or no effect whatsoever on getting him to change his ways.

2. You mean the investigation that closed on 16 April and turned up these key findings?

3. ....and that has resulted in what, exactly? Any assets being frozen? Any high level inquiries to people up the food chain and in a position to do anything meaningful?

4. I don't see that anyone has taken any lead on this. If this is part of the Obama "reset", to stand by and really do nothing while something like this goes on - well, it is no wonder the botched the original translation, as they don't really know the meaning of the word anyway. Clinton should have given Lavrov a button with the words "free pass" engraved on it.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yes, all the assets of these 60 people who were on the "Cardin list" (the 60) that were held in the EU, Canada, and the US were, indeed, frozen.

NOw, I do wish that Russian highest officials that were involved with this particular scheme were on the list, but the list does have a dozen judges and a few high-ranking officials of the Inferior Ministry)

6. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that those few who are on the ban/frozen asset list were smart enough to squirrel away their ill-begotten gains away in some Swiss account, or some similar off-shore place well out of the reach of US and EU banking laws. Again, Lukashenko's crew have had the same measures used against them and it hasn't modified their behavior one iota.

As much as I am in favor of Russia joining the WTO eventually, I really think the administration should hold back on fast-tracking their entrance over something like this. Putin pretends that WTO membership and most favored nation trading status is really not a very big deal, but the fact is that it is indeed a big deal, something he (and Yeltsin before him) desperately wanted. I honestly wonder how viable a participant Russia would be in the WTO with their rental economy and their corrupt to the 9s vertical power structure.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia should be nowhere near the WTO. China, while quite a bit corrupt at least is sort dedicated towards a capitalist economy and encourages limited entrepreneurship. Russia is a mob state.

8. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    China also imprisoned the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner and rapes Tibetan women with batons.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody said they were perfect

10. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Good enough for a state dinner apparently.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd invite them to dinner if they brought the good take out.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Kazakh diplomat apparently tried to hijack a plane the other day in Italy with a knife. :eek:

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That takes me waaaay back. I was in 6th grade (out of 10 in a Soviet public school) then. Kyiv, 60 miles (at most), away from Chernobyl, a home to more than 2.5 million people had no idea anything happened for several days. My father who worked as Civil Engineer responsible for constructing thermal power plants worked with some Chernobyl NPP engineers at VNIPIEnergoProm and even he found out only on April 30th (still full 2-3 days ahead of general public) that SOMETHING happened at one of the reactors, but the info was sketchy and not too scary, at first.

I remember the hectic days of the early May, the Peace Cycle Race that started in Kyiv that year, the 1986 UEFA Cup Winners Cup triumph for Dynamo. Kyiv was supposed to have a banner week that early May.

I remember spending a friend's birthday in the forest to the West of Kyiv, thinking if we were being exposed to radiation. Just two weeks later, schools were closed and children, whose parents couldn't evacuate them on their own, were evacuated enmasse towards points South, Crimea, North Caucasus, Odesa, etc.

My aunt took me and my cousins to Luga, just South of Leningrad for almost the entire Summer.

I did a lot of growing up that Summer.

15. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    As far as I know those commie bureaucrat rats got their families out ASAP while the everyday people were still being lying to as to what happened.

On a side note, a friend of mine from Belarus was born with a deformed toe, I suspect Chernobyl was the cause.

16. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a horrific book that describes what happened to the workers who went in to clean up. I don't remember the exact name, but it was traumatic to read.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    There is now a whole bunch of memoirs by various people that were involved with this stuff. Some are worth reading, some aren't.

One thing always puts a right perspective on things. My cousin lived on Naberezhno-Kreschatitskaya ulitsa in those days, a street that stretches along the right bank of Dnipro and is a significant thoroughfare. In the Fall of 1986 they measured the background radiation along the street and found out that it was 4-5 times higher than anywhere else in the city. It was due to the fact that convoys of buses, containing the evacuees from Prypyat and Chornobyl passed along the street from the Northern end to the Southern end of it. If just a few minutes worth of traveling buses could raise the background radiation on that street, imagine how high it was in Chornobyl raion.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was worth reading, if only to expose how little the Soviets cared for their people, and the pure bravery of the rescue workers who killed themselves to bring the reactor under control.

That's ****ed about the street.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13312713

22. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  23. maxkamus

maxkamus Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly have no idea how they can differentiate between victims and perpetrators in these cases.