From the Round of 16 to the Title

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 21, 2014.

1. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I also decided to take a look at what percentage of group seeds did not win their group:

2010: 3/8
    2006: 2/8
    2002: 3/8
    1998: 1/8

Again 2002 and 2010 show the greatest variation. Additionally, of the seeds that won their group in 2002 two of them were Korea and Japan which came as a surprise to many at the time.

Fun fact: Romania was a seeded team in 1998, and they won their group.

2. Aberdeenteen

Aberdeenteen Red Card

Feb 4, 2014
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Brazil and Argentina no way. Germany could, but I doubt that. Their group is harder than the rest but they're still the best team out of the all should get through topping the group.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I understand why you would find Iran making the second a surprise, but while I will be quite satisfied if Iran reached the 2nd round, I just find Iran a bit too underrated in many people's comments. Besides Argentina, Iran has Nigeria and Bosnia in its group. These aren't teams to make Iran intimidated and for Iran to finish above them wouldn't be all that surprising in my book.

Sure, I can totally understand dismissing both ELO and FIFA rankings and not accepting that Iran is better than Nigeria. But to pretend that if Iran finishes above a team that ranks below it would be a huge surprise isn't exactly sensible either. Nigeria, after all, finished last in a 2010 group that was very similar to this one. Indeed, the similarity is striking in that, besides Argentina, in 2010 Nigeria had Greece (a side that finished behind Bosnia in UEFA qualifying this time around) and South Korea (a side that finished behind Iran in AFC qualifying this time around). The point isn't that Nigeria should be seen as weaker than Iran, but rather that there shouldn't be such a huge surprise if they finish behind Iran.

As for Bosnia, who at least are ranked above Iran, they no doubt have some very talented and highly rated players. Maybe Bosnia will prove to be the Uruguay of Europe, punching well above its weight by propelling itself among the elite in football. That would be an interesting story. But until they do, Bosnia is a country of a few million people in its first ever World Cup. It is a country that Iran has faced in several friendes and defeated 4 straight times, scoring 14 goals against them in these 4 games. It just doesn't make sense to me to pretend that if Iran beat them again, it would be such a huge surprise! Especially since Bosnia is, at best, a second tier UEFA side and these type of 2nd tier UEFA teams don't have a particularly notable record against Iran. They just don't.

Incidentally, your message prompted me to look behind football in other relevant statistics that might influence how people rate various teams and countries. While that exercise didn't particularly help me understand why Iran is viewed the way it is viewed, what emerged more clearly was the basis for why many Iranians might find the view taken about Iran somewhat insulting. Why, for instance, even if Honduras and Cosa Rica rate similar to Iran in football (FIFA has Costa Rica above Iran), it is still irritating to see Iran put alongside such countries? I will post the relevant data in this regard shortly. Perhaps in another thread.

Zandi360 repped this.
  4. Aberdeenteen

Aberdeenteen Red Card

Feb 4, 2014
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    h2h Bosnia is by far the superior side and what has Iran ever did? Look at their last world cup, pathetic. In a group just like this one with Portugal, Mexico and Angola and all you could muster was 1 point. Scored two goals and conceded 6. You're overrate your own side because they are that. Your own side. The fact is Iran are average and if they did get past the 1st round won't be a surprise but at the same time a great accomplishment.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    How can Bosnia be so superior when it has lost to Iran, not once, but 4 straight times? I don't get that. Especially when we have defeated them in a time frame that is more recent than the 2006 World Cup you refer to.

As for World Cup 2006, Iran actually had a good team and ranked close to the top 20 teams in the world at the time. But sometimes teams underperform in a particular tournament, in our case mostly because of 3 things: injury to our key players; infighting in our team, and some bad luck. I can over what happened in Wc06, but I don't think its all that relevant anyway. Except, most people have opinions they want to share and if all they know is these kind of things, that still doesn't prevent them from being stubborn about it.

Incidentally, while I think Iran was a lot better than how it finished in 2006, I believe Iran will finish in 2014 better than it really is. Right now, I would rate Bosnia and Nigeria better than Iran. But I don't think either are so much better for it to be at all surprising if Iran finished above them. We are talking about what are at the end comparable teams in overall quality. Unlike Iran's 2006 teams, which relied heavily on the magic of Ali Karimi and suffered tremendouly when he wasn't fully fit at the time of the World Cup, this Iranian team is more balanced in its composition. Its pretty good across the board, but doesn't have any stand out player either.

6. Aberdeenteen

Aberdeenteen Red Card

Feb 4, 2014
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Who cares if you beat them 4 times. When was the last time you played them? Don't compare Italy's hoodoo over Germany to Iran vs Bosnia either because theyre all completely different teams and Iran isn't Italy. Bosnia has been performing very consistently for a while now and in many's eyes both them and Nigeria are above Iran. You could be right Iran could finish higher than them but until that happens the point stands. Bosnia>>>Iran.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Last time, we played them was in 2009 when they were making the playoffs in UEFA. We played them in Sarejevo and Bosnia had their full squad (from the current Bosnia team, they had Dzeko who scored their goals, they had Ibisevic, Sepahic and even Pjnanic). We won that match 3:2. Before that, we beat them 5:2 in 2006 when Bosnia did alright in UEFA qualifying and even then had notable players like their current captain Missimivic and Hamburg's all-time great Barbarez (they scored Bosnia's goals in that game). Before that we won 2:1 in 2005 and 4:0 in 2001.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Btw, while Iran has a poor record always losing to the top UEFA teams we have played (albeit very few games against them to give realiable sample size), and even though we have occasionally (though very rarely) lost to UEFA's 2nd and 3rd tier sides, the fact is that more often than not, Iran beat 2nd and 3rd tier UEFA teams even in their homes. Besides Bosnia, the list of such teams we had defeated include Ukraine (in Kiev), Slovakia (in Slovakia), Armenia (in Armenia), Russia (in UAE), while our 2:2 draw against Croatia in Croatia was actually only a draw because the referee disallowed a legitimate 3rd goal by Iran (that would have made it 3:1 in our favor around the 90th minute mark), instead allowing 6 minutes of injury time in a friendly until he gave Croatia a dubious penalty to allow them to draw the game.

Having watched Iran's games through the years, I have not seen us really weaker than these kind of UEFA teams. Not even when we have lost to them, as in Wc98 against Yugoslavia (1:0 on a late freekick) in a game that was quite even with Iran deserving better than that loss. The only teams that are obviously stronger than Iran are the top teams we play. Against these kind of teams, we lose both in competitive games and in friendlies. Our record in friendlies and competitive games, in fact, shows a perfect correlation! Teams that we have lost to in the World Cup, if we have played, we have invariably also lost to in friendlies. Teams that we have either defeated or tied in the World Cup we have also defeated or tied in friendlies.

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    You could be putting too much pressure on your boys ... then again I might be wrong in assuming that Iran has to punch above their weight ... surviving the group would be an unprecedented success for Iran though ... actually winning 1 and losing 2 group matches can be called a decent result.

Your perfect correlation is useless ... Iran has only played 9 matches at the WC ... 1 W - 2 D - 6 L ... your best results: 1 W versus the USA and 2 draws: Angola and Scotland ... by no means huge upsets ... Iran's 3 apps were in line with what was expected ... ok in 1998 you punched above your weight and didn't finish last in your group ... go ahead if you think there's more to this 'huge sample' of results ... imho it's wishful thinking.

PS what do you feel is a realistic objective for Iran?

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually, Iran underperformed in Wc2006 but Wc98 was considered a success.

Realistically, Iran can go anywhere between 0 to 6 points. Neither Bosnia nor Nigeria are signficantly better than Iran and these games will be decided on the pitch. I am hoping Iran gain 4 points and on the balance of all factors, consider it a very realistic objective.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I hope so because I do love an underdog ... it might sound weird but I have no trouble liking your NT while disliking eager fangirls (of the same NT) ... completely different reasons and it's an 'emotional response'. Considering this thread concerns 'Round of 16 to the Title' I wasn't expecting this many posts on Iran as surviving the group stage for the 1st time would already be a huge deal ... looking forward to seeing Iran get stuck in and I'd praise them for a good performance regardless of results ... which can be achieved but both Nigeria and Bosnia will be tough opponents.

Zandi360 repped this.
  12. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    funny how many people underestimate croatia :)

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think anyone is underrating Croatia per se. Mexico has built a tradition of getting out of the group stage in every World Cup since 1986 and that is why most people might have them advance ahead of Croatia.

In my predictions, which were entered into Benztown's spread sheet quite quickly, it happened that this tradition was maintained as Mexico, Croatia and Cameroon all ended up with exactly 2 points and -2 GD. But Mexico went through because it scored more goals (I had predicted Mexico to lose to Brazil 4:2, which inadvertently tipped the balance in goals scored in favor of Mexico).

izzzy repped this.
  14. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thats nice but tradition can be tricky ;)
    lot of ppl preditions are based on several qualifying games.. in which we lost against Scotland...
    funny thing is that we never beat Scotland in history.. their style just dont suits to ours..
    but if we look at tradition, Italy never won against us.. with Germany we have nice score on tournaments...
    with Mexico we have just one defeat (2002 WC).. but now we have different team with new (and better) coach...

as I see it, it all depends with game against Cameroon... cause they are totally uknown to us...

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Scotland used to be famous for qualifying to the World Cup all the time and never making it out of the Round of 16. But instead of learning to advance to the group stage, they have learned not to qualify to the World Cup instead! :) Scotland, incidentally, is the team Iran earned its first ever World Cup point against in Wc78 and contributed to making sure they keep up with their tradition of never advancing from the group stage. In 1978, Scotland boasted its "best ever" team and they actually beat Holland in the group stage.

Mexico used to have the same tradition as Scotland of repeatedly qualifying to the World Cup and never making it out of the group stage as well. That is until they hosted a couple of tournaments and built a completely different tradition. The fact that they have made the R16 every time since Wc86 is actually quite an accomplishment. In 2006, they were in Iran's group and beat us in a closely contested match which they nonetheless proved better than us.

Anyway, for me, Mexico have an edge in that group but all of the teams have a chance. Including Cameroon. But certainly Croatia, who are generally the team people pick to qualify alongside Brazil if they don't pick Mexico. Mexico, nonetheless, is a tricky team and should not be underestimated. They have a knack for beating teams they need to beat, although this time around they owe their qualication to the US more than to their own efforts.

16. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I am a fan of the Japan NT and I doubt they can beat Uruguay. Their defence is too poor to withstand Cavani and Suarez. Forlan may be old but he is still a threat upfront. The only way to win for Japan is to keep possession to avoid the ball being passed to either Suarez or Cavani.

By the way, how will Josep Simunic"s unavailability affect you guys? Who will you guys replace him with?

17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Croatia are a strange team. Looking at the quality of their players they should be much better than they have been in recent years. They have great talent in almost all positions yet they lose to hapless Scotland. Perhaps Kovac can turn their fortunes around. If they get their act together they will easily qualify from their group as they have a much better squad than Mexico or Cameroon. I fear though that they will underperform

izzzy repped this.
  18. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well he could be a big loss for us.. but we have some good replacements.. for example Dejan Lovren (Southampton) who can play defense too...
    However our new NT coach N.Kovac like to play with stronger midfield.. and there we have some good players (Modric, Rakitic, young Kovacic..).. so basically tactics will be possesion and pushing a ball more forward to unburden our defense line..

19. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #94 izzzy, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    yup.. you are right about first part.. but our weakness came from mediocre coach Stimac.. who wasnt quality manager...

20. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    How do you think you guys will deal with Mexico?

21. izzzy

izzzy Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Croatia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's gonna be tough match, but we will porbably win.. Mandzukic will be out of suspension so we will play more offensive... and especially if Mexico will play with sam squad from qulifying games..

however, as I said.. there's possibility that we dont go o the round of 16 due tu loss from Cameroon

22. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I think Japan v Uruguay would be about even. Uruguay played Ghana to a draw and beat South Korea 2-1 in the last cup. Perhaps Suarez and Cavani are better, but Forlan is worse than 2010. IMO, Japan is better than they were in 2010. IMO Honda and Kagawa are an improvement on their attacking options.

I also have a feeling that if those two were to draw and go into penalties that Japan would win.

Honestly, this whole thread is about conjecture. Nobody knows for sure who will beat who come the round of 16. Croatia beat Germany 3-0 in the quarterfinals in 1998 and this was far more of an upset than Japan beating Uruguay would be. My point is, much crazier stuff can and has happened.

IMO, Uruguay are getting rated a little too high on these threads. They still finished 5th in South American Qualifying out of 9 teams. I think Japan would finish in about the same position if they had to qualify through South America.

I believe Japan are right on the cusp taking the step into the next tier of WC contender. I don't think they're quite there yet, but I would not be surprised to see this in the next couple cycles.

23. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    You are correct. It's unlikely. According to one source projecting this there is an 11.6% chance of one of those 3 not advancing (most likely being Germany):

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1639248/spi-world-cup-group-stage-projections?cc=5901

If you go by these rankings, there is a 40.5% chance of one of these 3 not winning their group. This could shake up the brackets a little and potentially allow a team like Chile, Ghana, Nigeria, or Russia a path deep into the 2nd round.

24. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Japan lost 3-1 to Uruguay at HOME last year.
    East Asian teams are good against African teams and alright against European teams. Traditionally, we're weak against South American teams.

25. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    True, especially with Uruguay, they have 8 wins 1 loss and 2 ties vs Korea and Japan combined. Japan is playing lovely soccer right now, but for whatever reason, Uruguay is a bad matchup for them. I think the very high level of creativity and ball skill seen in South American forwards and attacking players is just not something the East Asians are used to dealing with. Korea and Japan may very will win the midfield, but winning inside the penalty boxes is a different story.