"From champs to chumps... in the same year" | The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we played them in 2005 and we lost in there.. but we win on aggregate

2. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really hope so ..they been bugging us for a while now and we have to break the jinx..

the only teams i see winning this CL are

Barca
    Bayern
    BVB

in that order... i am not seeing anyone else can compete this year.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree they were loaded with talent. But still nobody expected them to win the CL. And they won 3 consecutive titles heavily aided by the Calciopoli scandal. The first title was won by Juve (who got disqualified). The second had Juve in Serie B and Milan started the season with negative points.

I still contend that he had more resources at Chelsea and RM. But I guess saying Inter had limited resources was pushing it.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The scandal was actually not in their favor cause otherwise they would have won more titles in last 15 years, especially during Vierri and Ronaldo era.

5. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Nah, not Dortmund. They don't have the depth, the others do.

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess for Milan it's all about this Stephan El Shaarawy kid, 14 goals in 18 games. Would hate to see a CL tie where Barça dominates but somehow this guy pops up and scores an away goal heartbreaker.

jfcule repped this.
  7. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You shush your mouth right now!
    This thought is so plausible it's scary. I still think about Zalayeta and shudder.

os_mutante repped this.
  8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Bojan can take the kid around town before the 2nd leg, show him around Barça... all night. :D

9. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've mentioned this goal a few times, but l'll post it today just to exorcise the memory os_mutante conjured and hope it doesn't happen again.

A little background:

2002-2003 season, the worst time in recent history for the club. The league was already lost(ended up 6th that season), Van Gaal had already been sacked and Antic hired as coach.
    But the team was unbeaten in UCL.

Quarterfinals against Juventus. They were a very strong team, the reigning Serie A champions and also won the Scudetto that season.
    First leg at Turin ended up 1-1.
    On the return leg at Nou the score was tied 1-1 and we went on to extra times. We were dominating and they were struggling to hold us back. A Barça goal seemed inevitable. Then as the clock wore down, it seemed we were headed to PKs...then on the 114th minure, this shit happened:

Juve went on to beat LPB in the semifinals and lose the final against Milan on PKs.

My TV remote never recovered from being thrown against the wall. :(

Dhajj repped this.
  10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    An EPL defense would never concede 8 goals . . . :whistling:

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I liked the commentator note today ... "Chelsea haven't scored 8 goals in an EPL game since ... 2010 !" :ROFLMAO:

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    lol He was updating for the many gloryhunting fanboys Chelsea had picked up since last May. Little does he know most of them jumped ship in the past 2-3 weeks.

13. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Terrible memories, jfcule. Was having a very good day until I came on here and saw that. The days of the Gaspart still very fresh in the mind, you don't forget the bad times either unfortunately.
    One of the most frustrating days ever as a Barca fan for me.

Apparently Pato and Robinho are set to leave Milan next month and they won't be going for Drogba or Balotelli to replace them either. Looking like they'll be real short ahead of the Round of 16 tie, although I doubt they don't get any replacements if those two leave.

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who doesnt love the drama

Of the nearly 100,000 participants in an online fan poll by the Spanish sports daily Marca, 82 percent said Mourinho should be fired.
    “Iker doesn’t need to be punished to play better,” the former Madrid goalkeeper Cesar Sánchez said. “This only brings to a boil the atmosphere of conflict that Madrid already has.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/sports/soccer/real-madrid-coach-draws-ire.html?_r=0

Lahmfan repped this.
  15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Manchester United leaks even more goals than we do.

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Man U defense = :ROFLMAO:

17. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    3-3

EDIT: The Mexican Poacher puts Man U up 4-3.

Elsewhere, City falls.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    City's form in EPL now is becoming similar to their CL form. I dont think Mnacini could fix it.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hopefully Man U can do this against LPB. They have to defend better though.

20. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    As poor as RM looks right now, i still see them beating ManU

MISH repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still a good 2 months away so too early to say. Both Man Utd and Real Madrid's form could change drastically in that time. 2 months ago LPB were looking stronger than Barca and now look at them! So everything can change in that amount of time.

22. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Well, they were mising Vidic and Rafael today, two starters in the defense right there.

Not to mention they didn't have Anderson, Rooney, and Kagawa either, and still scored 4 goals. Their depth in attack is fantastic, it just depends on whether they're red hot come February or not.

They were? When was this? :confused:

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In October. They were dominating Barca at Camp Nou in the first 30 minutes of the league clasico. LPB were also destroying everybody in the 2-3 weeks leading up to that clasico, while Barca was skimming-by with dramatic last minute winning goals. Then Alves and Puyol got scary injuries (while Pique was already out).

All that was a little over 2 months ago.

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Our league start is all the more amazing considering our lone 'hiccup' in El Clasico came with neither regular starting CB, plus Alves got injured midway through the first half. Hell, Adriano made his surprise CB debut against the highest scoring team in La Liga history. On paper, they should've torn us a new one with such a patched-up defense. And yet if Montoya's late blast had just been an inch or two lower, we'd be perfect on the season.

25. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    The only teams they destroyed in that time were Depor and Mallorca, the latter mainly doing it to themselves by gifting LPB two goals. They beat Zaragoza I believe by a big scoreline but didn't look impressive, the scoreline favored them a lot that day. Athletic, well, they would have crushed them in any form with the way they opened up.

And the Sevilla game was a very difficult game but we won at least while they didn't.

The rest of their wins were much closer and even in performance. I'd say we were more impressive in October and November than LPB were overall, just not defensively which is normal when considering who we were missing.