Friendly: Mexico vs Denmark 01/30/2013

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Gio D Santos 17, Nov 7, 2012.

1. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think you're reaching...

2. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pipiripau is a known Fabian hater. He never thinks he does anything well. It's all the weed the weed he smokes...

El Jalisciense repped this.
  3. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Perhaps, and I generally agree with your assesment, but the team was not looking too good. To put it in other terms, when Herrera left, it was noticeable (mildly perhaps) in a negative way, when whoever left to let Marco come in, it was not noticeable, and I did see a couple of decent touches and hustles, was he not the one that put that ball to Jimenez?

/p

Hdez.Marcos repped this.
  4. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    It should be, is Concacaf.

Kaney, yaboy, Sleepy Spaceman and 2 others repped this.
  5. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Perhaps I'm being harsh, I'm just surprised to see so many positive comments about his play. I thought he was adequate, much like the rest of his teammates. But I guess you could say the same thing about Herrera and Aquino. This game was....lackluster.

I haven't watched much footie lately has Marco performed well?

6. Swag Flu

Swag Flu Member+

Sep 11, 2008
    Lo$ $candalou$
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Salcido needs to go. That dude is holding up the new pecking order. I'm not even sure I'd have him on my bench. He was messin' with Herrera's game by pushing up too far at times and leaving Herrera to cover his ass. Before I forget...Nilo played an excellent game. Meza, Moreno, Mier/Reyes and him should form a fine back line. Let Herrera and anyone else like maybe Chaton fill the two spots in front of them. And that two ST formation has to go. De Negris and Peralta cannot play with each other, and either of them will get in Cheech's way if they play along side him.

I'd have Gaurdis on the left. Fabian in a cam role. While I let Gio do his thing on the right. Try and get them to play the ball from right to left since Gio can break down defenses with his dribbling and allow for the occasional outside the box shot(s) from Guardis and Fabian. Since either of them are capable of chin checking the GK from that distance. But the main focus should be to get Cheech the ball in the box. Keep him at the spear so it will allow for those chances to take place. Overall I thought that was one of the better domestic league based teams we fielded in years. I just hope Chepo doesn't pull an Aguirre, and awards an old dude a position that is not warranted. Fabian and Reyes both should have got at least 70 mins last night. I cannot believe Chaton got a DNP. WTF?

Richy_Rich, sleepyvato50, Kaney and 4 others repped this.
  7. Serg33

Serg33 Member+

Jul 11, 2007
    hater?

because he didn't say he was the best player on the team?

8. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    It was a decent game last night.

Denmark was a very, very good team. Physical yet skilled and tactically sharp. Kudos to them.

As far as Mexico goes, Salcido and Aguilar were the weakest links. Salcido gave the ball away countless times with stray passes or bad positional play. Aguilar was ineffective going forward or defending. I thought he had matured but I was wrong.

Aldo is incredibly slow and his physical presence did little to help the team. The Danes handled him with ease. Oribe had his highs and lows but he needs service to be successful, something he didn't get.

Reyna and Aquino showed great hustle but were nullified by the physicality of the Danes, especially the outside backs who managed to keep Aquino quiet while Reyna was more involved through his guile and inventiveness.

I, personally, didn't think the defense was bad. Torres Nilo showed why he is the starting left back and no amount of wet dreams and posturing from fans and media is going to put him on the bench in favor of Guardado. JTN is a player that can compete physically and will get his hands dirty to prevent anyone from getting by him. We need that.

Ayala and Maza had one gaffe each that lead to quick counters by the Danes but other than that they handled themselves well, especially Maza. I don't really understand the hate towards him. Easily one of our better players at the moment and there is no way Mier or Reyes are going to bench him.

Ayala was sturdy and I'm glad he got the start over Mier and Reyes. He's a very complete defender and one that can easily play in Europe. Maybe not a top team but his IQ is very high and the transition to European ball should be smooth for him if he ends up going.

The team's performance was a bit flat, especially in the first 15 minutes where Denmark pushed up their lines and forced Mexico to "divide" the ball with long passes under pressure where the Danes easily recovered and pushed forward. Once Mexico settled the ball and Herrera and Salcido started moving off the ball, Mexico started dictating the pace of the game although it was still a fairly comfortable pace for Denmark to deal with.

Some may disagree but the level of play shown by Salcido was truly shocking. Constantly giving the ball away in dangerous positions and forcing Herrera to shield his forays into the attacking third that were culminated by 30 yard shots that were easily blocked by the Danes. There is one play in particular that magnifies Salcido's contribution. Towards the end of the first half, Torres Nilo recovers a ball near Mexico's box, passes it to Salcido to clear but Salcido proceeds to dribble towards the sideline and when pressured by a Danish player, he tries to juggle the ball so he can boot it out but ends kicking the ball out for a corner kick. Amateur hour from Salcido and the look on his face after the incident says it all.

Overall a decent game once Denmark opened up a bit more in the second half and the inclusions of Fabian and Jimenez were positive I would say. Especially Jimenez who was more physical than Ald0 and his movement was better than that of Peralta and Aldo.

Some positives to take away from this game and some obvious issues that cannot be ignored.

Let's see what Chepo does with what he learned.

9. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Just remember that to start the 2009 Hex, Carlos Ochoa was the starting striker.

Carlos Ochoa.

Mexico will be fine.

10. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Compete physically? Torres Nilo was getting thrown around like a rag doll.

11. thebileball

thebileball Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Only because Salcido kept giving the ball away.

He's a very generous man, isn't he? He gives balls away like candy.

Hdez.Marcos and LGRod repped this.
  12. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He had a hard time with Jorgensen... needs experience against players that are tall & solid built & to hit the weights... if Salsita could adapt to EPL.... so can JTN who has a bigger frame / greater potential to put on muscle.

Hdez.Marcos, Kaney and El Mariachi repped this.
  13. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe JTN was losing his positioning due to other players losing posession but he still got knocked over by some shoulder to shoulder challenges... not unexpected when you normally go up against 5-7" 150 wingers... and all of sudden thrown in against 6-2" 190 dudes

14. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    This.
    Mexican players need to work on their physique. It make me think Aquino is going to get pwnt in Europe.

15. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is he smaller than Guardado was when he left Atlas? :confused:

16. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Y'all can forget about Gullit joining the team for the Jamaica game. He is out for a few weeks injured,

17. metalmaster

metalmaster Member+

Jul 7, 2004
    In the wrong hood
    Club:
    Hakoah Maccabi Ramat Gan
    Yes. And Guardado used to get hurt quite often in his firsts year in Europe.
    Another thing that worries me with the nt is the lack of mobility without the ball. Is like everyone expects the pass to their feet all the time, or just stop running once they passed the ball to a team mate.

Before some one brings up Messi's size. We don't have a Messi.

Kaney, El Pipiripau and El Mariachi repped this.
  18. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's going to 2nda which should ease transition.

19. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Im more worried about Reyes.

LGRod repped this.
  21. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One thing I noticed, not sure if you could tell on tv, was that Herrera was communicating with everyone. He has really grown, and continues to impress me. Disappointed with 1-1 but still fun game to see.

Hdez.Marcos and yaboy repped this.
  22. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like Torres Nilo. He IS our LB.

Why wasn't the RB from Tigres called up?

He's the best RB we have.

LGRod repped this.
  23. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    He got pushed off the ball by stronger players but he also won other challenges, especially in the air.

Just because he got knocked off the ball once or twice doesn't mean he didn't compete physically.

Hdez.Marcos, Kaney and El Mariachi repped this.
  24. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i'm rather surprised there are people criticizing Torres Nilo, when i thought he was our best player in the backline. he did what he had to do and did it rather well, both pushing up on the offense and defending. in fact, he would help cover some of Salcido's screw ups.

LGRod, sleepyvato50, Kaney and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    true but what would of been nice is if Chepo tried putting in Chavez,Mier, and Reyes for Aguilar,Maza, and Ayala somewhere around the 60th min, it would of been great to see them s

LGRod repped this.