Friedel, Dempsey: Leeds vs Tottenham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by MadRHatter, Jan 27, 2013.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is also not beyond the realm of expectation that Demps put in two against Leeds.

AVB has allowed himself to be backed into a corner up front. Demps should not be the front forward except in more defensive/tactical situations. If AVB has play him there too long it will not work out well for anyone.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It's a screwed up situation. You have a diminutive lead forward who cant hold up the ball, cant score in the air, cant pass, but can poach or score in bunches. You have a mercurial hold-up man who doesnt understand the system and probably never will, but can take over a match if he feels like it, and you have Dempsey, master of nothing in particular, but can score, pass, and maintain possession. You have an LM who can certainly play with skill, but has no idea how to win.

Then Lennon....wtf happened to him this match? Probably mental and physical fatigue coupled with the fact that he found himself on the left wing half the match.

Again, I think this is a must LOSS for the spuds and I am glad Dempsey missed a couple.

---------------Ade-----------------
    ------------------Dempsey----------
    Bale-----------Dembo----------Lennon----
    ------------------Verto------------------
    --Naughton-----Caulker---Dawson----Walker------

DeForward in for Ade or Dempsey, Siggy in for Dempsey or Dembo and switch to a solid 4-4-2.

Parker is not very good as much as he is loved by one and all.

AcetheTigah and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  3. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Using the phrase "this level" loosely, of course.

4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like how you're sticking behind this must lose/good loss thing. you'd think a club like tottenham would have enough youth to sprinkle in to adequately spell some vets and handle a team like leeds. having three strikers seems ludicrous when you're in 4 competitions.

the line-up you have would be very interesting and i think pretty dynamic. hopefully AVB gets to something like that at some point, especially if he wants to play slick pretty football. sadly, however, i find it unlikely the trio of defoe, ade and clint will fall like that, in that order, healthy (physically and mentally) and reliably contributing in those roles.

edit: i happen to be a firm admirer of parker's, but i do think he's perhaps losing a step and has struggled with fitness. i hope he can bounce back to form, especially with sandro out. he's a real driving force when he's on his game.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That "sitter" was considerably tougher than it looked. Ball hit at pace and obstructed from view with 4 bodies between demps and the passer. I'll give him a pass considering the goal he scored.

taylor repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The line up I proposed is not for slick football, it is for fast wing play, crosses into the box and Dembo controlling hte attacking 3rd.

With Defoe in the line up they become a group of long range shooters. Ade and CLint can combine with a bit more time and bale and lennon really just need to get hte ball into the box for those two.

AvB makes life very complicated for a team of obvious talents, but little sophistication.

7. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Yeah, not sure where people are seeing that as a sitter. He clearly saw it very late.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Realistically, Arsenal and Everton are the clear competitors for #4. Everton have FA cup and League, the Spuds are on EL and League, and Arsenal still have CL, FA, and League.

With fresh legs Bale, Lennon and Dempsey can score on anyone.

With CL qualification, they can strong arm their way into at least 3 or 4 good signings and play for two or three cups next year.

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So, Spurs just signed the U-21 German Captain Holtby from Schalke. He's a really good player. Hopefully he can work with Dembele and get Demps, Ade and Defoe some good service.

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    My impression of the game was that Siggurdson(sp?) didn't pull his weight and Obi just looked lost and didn't combine with anyone for his time in.

The game needed another quality forward who can make good decisions around the penalty area.

Clint did enough to justify a judgement of 'good performance' in my mind.

I think the loss was a result of several things including:
    1) no quality second forward available
    2) the quality finishing by the Leeds forwards
    3) bad and lazy defense by Spurs on the counter
    4) Not starting Dembele and only then putting him in until too late

Is Defoe really injured - or was that a cover for his absence? Apparently he will be availble next game :\

11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any team in England, that is. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen them score in injury time to win or draw.

But, you're right. Losing this game was not disastrous for Spurs. Maybe Friedel should take a few shifts at forward?:)

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Little sophistication....

When Bale looks up and sees Ade's bush avove the crowd he fires off a missile. Supposedly Dempsey doesnt have pace because it looks like he is lagging. Of course he is. Against Leeds, I didn't see Bale look up at all before sending in a blind cross and guess who was there for the score? I've been waiting a long time for this.

The fact is that Dempsey is technically much better at heading the ball than Ade.

13. mars2112

mars2112 Member

United States
    May 28, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, no one mentions Parker. I thought he was brutal out there yesterday. JMHO

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Huh?

I want Clint and Ade on the pitch at the same time. I don't know who is better and I don't know what is going on in Bale's mind, but I think it is painfully evident that these players dont like each other and they have zero love for east texas out there.

Which brings up a good point, is Clint able to be a leader on the pitch? The captains armband jumped from Murphy to Brede and Hughes at Fulham. Never once did Clint wear it despite being pretty handily their best player. Is it time for Clint to lead? Can he?

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's no chance he gets the armband on this team. i can honestly say i don't know who wears it now, but between dawson and parker, even vert and bale, clint would be way down the list for the captain's band, having never worn it with fulham, and as far as i'm aware the revs and usmnt. who cares about that anyway, the manager needs to get everyone on the same page. 'arry said he wouldn't manage man city b/c of their egos...he managed this squad minus clint pretty damn well. an equal manager would be able to reign in their obvious talents...avb, like this squad, maybe looks better on paper, sadly.

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Plus he thought the last defender was going to hit it.