Friedel - Blackburn sign Yorke

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jd2084, Jul 26, 2002.

1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this doesn't have a lot to do with Friedel, but I just wanted to say that I'm excited about this. If Dwight does well here Blackburn have a very good chance of moving up in the EPL and maybe getting a good run in the UEFA Cup. Seeing Brad do well this year is probably my biggest hope for the English season.

Oh yeah the link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/2153366.stm

Almost forgot!

2. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Dwight Yorke reunited with his former strike partner Andy Cole could be formidable. Can't wait to see what those two cook up, particularly when they face Manchester United.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Blackburn won't sell unless they get an offer...um...they can't refuse.

Like o'er 20m. With about 2mUK of that, their first move should be getting Beasley. ;) Kidding, folks.

5. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Duff and Beasly

Buff, funny how you mention jokingly about Beasly going to Blackburn, but with Duff "20 million pounds fixes the books for 2 years." leaving and Brad already there, could be a opening.. Wishful thinking..

6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see the Soul Brothers reunited. I hope their goals would help produce the Blackburn attack. However I was disappointed that Duff is wanted by Liverpool. He was the main weapon on the left wing and was a joy of see him on TV during the last EPL season and this year's World Cup. This could spur DMB to join The English Ohioian (Friedel) ;) on the squad if Souness is interested.

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    How the might have fallen. I thought Yorke was one of the top 5 players in the world just a couple of years ago, now his price is 2 million quid. Amazing.

8. Triggerfish

Triggerfish New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Jozi
    He has not produced recently, but it is not just that. As has been discussed, it is currently a buyers market. Plus, like a certain US striker, Yorke does not have much time left on his contract and because of the situation regarding transfers windows, if ManU had not moved him before they start of the season, they would have had to wait until January when his contract would have been half season shorter.

9. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i predict that liverpool will get duff for between 13 and 15 million pounds. if this does come true i will be a happy happy man.

10. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely hope they keep Duff at Ewood for at least another year. I would love to see this first 6 on the pitch for Rovers:

----Yorke------Cole------
    Duff----Tugay----Unsal---Dunn

Pretty tough front 6...I don't know how their defense will perform, but they also get Jansen back later on in the year, so they are looking promising. Losing Duff would throw a monkey wrench into that. Of course, bringing in another promising young left winger like DMB, who wants to go to Europe, would definitely counteract my disappointment!! :)

11. snorklefish

snorklefish New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Why do you kid? If Duff goes, won't Blackburn want to go out and get some more cover at left wing?

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Except Unsal can't play central mid.

The starting 11 looks to be right now:
    Friedel; Neill, two centrald defenders (Berg, Johansson, Short, Todd--pick two, any two), Unsal; Dunn/Gillespie, Tugay, Flitcroft/Dunn, Duff; Cole, Yorke.

Rovers really need a ball winner on an EPL level, something that Flitcroft might not be able to do.

13. wjschaefer

wjschaefer New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    California
    fyi - from the fiver:

"He is a top quality
    player with a proven record who can only be an asset as we look to go
    forward." Indeed, so long as Blackburn doesn't open any nightclubs in
    the near future.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    yea, i gotta check out the schedule and see when they hook up this year. should be a great affair, only time will tell whether this will be a good move for him but i think that with yorke and cole up top you could see a very good starting 11 on the field, much better than last year that is for sure...

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Sat Dec 21 2002 Manchester United - @ home
    Sat Apr 19 2003 Manchester United - on the road

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Best headline in recent memory: