Frequent the Africa Forum much? Introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Unak78, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #1 Unak78, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    It's bothered me for awhile that the Africa thread seems to have shrunk from where it was a few years back when I joined Big Soccer. Some of it may have been an exodus of some posters to another forum, which I myself was invited to join and have posted on occasionally from time to time. And the rest is possibly just a general decrease in interest in African football in the recent decades. Back in the 90's African footie was on the up. I had Italians and Mexicans who seemed to know more about the Nigerian national team than I did. But in recent years, they've leveled out a bit.

Regardless of all that. I just want to know a bit more about the fans who still matriculate in this corner of BS. Who you are, what African team you root for, and why you come here and for how long. So more about me, yes?!...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm blah blah years old, a son of two Nigerian immigrants (which makes me Naija as well) who spent most of their early life time here in the states raising me and my older sisters in the northeastern US before settling in Dallas TX for the last few decades. All of us were born here in the US so I am a USMNT fan as well as a Nigerian (and African football) fan. I am a former member of the armed services as an electronics tech, worked in that field another 5 years as an engineering tech and am currently back in school to become a healthcare professional (medic and nurse) and get a bachelors in biology. So that's me in a nutshell. That's why I fan in the Africa forums.

I first began posting in the Africa forum during the 2008 African Cup of Nations, which was coincidentally a tournament which had the best access through a website that offered a paid subscription to the entire tournament and showed live and archived matches. I haven't seen such a site since, which tells me that either they did not recoup their investment well or they did well enough that now the bigger networks don't want to share anymore. Anyway, this was also the first forum on BS I'd ever been involved with despite being an active soccer/football fan. I gradually spread out to the other forums as the conversation on this forum began to atrophy and have not experienced the depth of conversation and engagement here since. Anyway here's hoping that some of those originals that I met way back when find their way back here again.

Peace and please contribute.

Oh and here's a little bit more about me...

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I joined BigSoccer in 2004. I rarely go in the Africa forum. I follow World Cup qualifying in every confederation but African qualifiers are rarely on TV in the USA. I don't root for any African clubs or countries.

The other forum you linked to needs to update its forum description lines. It still says "Euro 2008" and for CONCACAF it says "Champions Cup" rather than "Champions League."

Unak78 repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 JasonMa, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    I'll stick my neck out, more because I want to ask a question and this seems to be the best place for it. But first an intro. If you frequent the MLS forums you probably recognize me, as my first soccer love is the Colorado Rapids and I'm quite active in those forums. But the thing I love about soccer is that it makes the world smaller, and I have a number of teams I "follow" around the world. Blackburn Rovers, Queen of the South, CD Tenerife, and the Melbourne Victory are my top ones. Because of this I've been able to talk to people around the world about a common subject and make acquaintances where I likely never would have before.

I've enjoyed watching the African National teams in recent competitions, and with the increase in niche cable channels (like beIn Sports) and online streaming I've been watching more of their play. In particular I've found myself becoming a fan of Cameroon due to players like Eto'o (who I've seen play in Europe for a number of years) and Achille Emana who I was impressed with at the last World Cup. Also Cameroonian players Alain N'kong, Joseph Nane, and now Charles Eloundou have played for Colorado which has helped my interest. This was all topped off this morning where I was able to use a DishWorld subscription on my Roku box to watch Cameroon-Tunisia live in HD.

Now for my question. What's the best place online to follow news (in English) about the Indomitable Lions and their players?

Unak78 repped this.
  4. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Thanks for the intro bro, and you probably recognize from the MLS forums too!

As for Cameroon, that's a toughie bc they are a Francophone country and most websites that are dedicated to them are in French. Usually the best sources for following African teams are team fan sites which often have info that comes out before it might hit most of the more established media outlets. I've used this to follow Ghana and Nigeria to good effect but it's a bit harder for CIV and Cameroon. For example CAMLIONS.COM, doesn't seem to have an English version.

I would suggest trying AllAfrica.com which is a general African news website but there's alot of cut and paste articles that can be found elsewhere there, but occasionally there's good stuff. I'll put my mind to it on other good online pubs. There's probably something I'm not thinking of right now.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do! ;)

I have checked out AllAfrica.com before, I was just wondering if there were better options specific to Cameroon football. Let me know if you think of anything!

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    CamFoot is the best. I usually just Google Translate the site, because its predominantly in French.

BTW Cameroon is actually partially English, partially French language.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    #7 encorelui2, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    In English is going to be tough. Keep in mind English speaking Cameroon barely makes up 20% of Cameroon's populace.
    The best sites for infos on Cameroonian football are French:
    • www.camfoot.com (French & very anti-Eto'o though): Every now & then they'll have articles in English (nonetheless has an English forum with a few active members)
    • mboafootball.com (French & very pro-Eto'o) : Never anything in English.
    • lions4life.com (100% English & anti-Eto'o): Problem is they are fairly new on the block & as such do not take time to do things correctly. They'll rush articles through many-a-times & end up with badly written articles, jammed with grammatical/spelling errors. I've talked to someone who is close to them & they promised to fix that problem. That was a while ago & I haven't since been back there to see if they really changed anything.
    • www.cameroononline.org (mix of French & English) : Not a 100% football site. General infos on Cameroon (more of a web crawler that just gathers infos on Cameroon & re-post it)
    There are also a couple of blogs that I use every now & then, but can't remember off the top of my head. Will post them when ever I come across them again.

Unak78 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, thanks!

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honestly I should just post the list of forums for every respective team here lol..

Its crazy who teams like Gabon and The Red Devils of Congo have busy forums. Burkina Faso aswell as DR Congo do too.

10. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    I'll help you out: These are the ones I personally vist...
    CAMEROON:
    NIGERIA:
    GHANA:
    TUNISIA:
    MOROCCO:
    D.R. CONGO:
    GABON:
    Of all of these the I get the most infos from the Nigerian forum, probably coz of the variety of members it has (u'll find a variety of African nationalities represented on that forum (CE), so u are likely to get information concerning just about every African (& even world) teams from there.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  12. Dalleman Soft

Dalleman Soft New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Recognize!

I am 20 years old and Im from Sweden, I have no connection to Africa what so ever, both my parents are Swedish so obviously I follow European football. But after the death of Nelson Mandela I started reading a lot about Africa, everyday I read about facts of different African countries and I have decided to learn more about African football. I am of course familiar with the African players both in Sweden and the rest of Europe but I would like to learn more about the football played in Africa. I have found out that Goal.com have news from Africa but most of it regards Europe, and I have also discovered the official site of the South African Premier League.

So, can you guys help me out? Is it possible to stream African club football on wiziwig? Are there any good South African football forums? Are there any Africans on here or are the most of you living in Europe or NA?

Take care!

encorelui2 and Unak78 repped this.
  13. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    First off, it is always a nice relief to come across someone with no attachment to a particular culture taking the time to learn more about that culture. Thank you.
    Speaking for myself & those I know: most seem to be out of the continent itself, but stay in touch with it, so usually know all there is to know(& more lol), going on.
    About streaming games; most North African leagues (Tunisia & Morocco in particular) are usually available online as Al-Jazeera (now Bein???) usually carried those games. Egyptian games were the easiest until their league went on standby (i recall Al Ahly even had a youtube channel: they will stream games on every now & then in HD)
    It gets a little more tricky finding sub-Sahara African games. CIV & Senegal usually are the easiest, as their national tv networks which carry their league games, have free net streaming (poor quality but doable) Sometimes you will catch TP Mazembe games (D.R. Congo) games: they are a very pro side, so they do spend some money to get their stuff out there. For Nigerian, Cameroon; I can say forget it. I tried for years & gave up. Not sure about the rest (including South Africa: i have tried finding their games a couple of times & had to give up too.

Unak78 repped this.
  14. Dalleman Soft

Dalleman Soft New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    Thanks for responding me bro!

You all seem like nice lads, I will probably post here as often as I can! :D

15. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    To add to a bit there is a Youtube channel that seems to be unofficial but it shows South African highlights. Getting their matches is a bit harder as said above.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MattMzansi

16. Dalleman Soft

Dalleman Soft New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    I have not seen this before, this is awesome!

17. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love watching CAF teams African championships and African football in general. I am an African a ethiopian to be specific. I feel African teams ie NT get short changed, dismissed no respect etc. posters, supporters and commenters also talk about African players great physical abilities strengths etc but always questions our mental toughness, smarts, adjustments, competence etc. this always have sinister connotations to it an agenda that we all know about. Nonetheless I hope we do well in the next WC. I want to say hi to all the posters on here African and non-African who enjoys the play on this continent or aboard. Cheers from California!!!

zahzah, Unak78 and mastermoo repped this.
  18. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Split, Croatia
    Well, what to say, 21 years old, from my location on the left, also a huge fan(atic) of the club in my avatar, no relations to Africa :D Started watching African football frequently at the time of the CAN 2006, since then following all news about almost every national team from the continent (club football not so much, but following the CAF CC and CL results actively) , and staring at livescores when the qualifiers are on, since it is pretty hard to find decent links for I don't know, Madagascar - Guinea match.
    About routing for someone, i don't have any specific team, maybe Zambia (since 2010 WC qualifiers when they were very unlucky in their matches against Algeria and Egpyt) and DR Congo for whom I believe they have great potential but never fulfill it because of constant FA - players problems. But mostly i love when some lower ranked team makes a good results, I loved to see the likes of Niger, CPV, Botswana at the recent ACNs and now I hope for the likes of Uganda to finally making it after being so close to the last 2 occasions, or Congo - Brazzaville with Claude Le Roy in charge.

That's it for now, just one question for zahzah, Red Star (Crvena Zvezda) because of? (if you are from Serbia, this question is irrelevant :D )

Unak78 repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome. I heard Croatia is a beautiful country especially near the Dalmatian coast would love to visit one day. What do you think of Croatia chances in their WC group I believe they can be runner up behind brazil.