French clubs in Europe 2012/2013

Discussion in 'France' started by Tsigalko, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Good riddance OM. You got beat by a club that has higher ambitions and more money than you do. Elle Baup :laugh:

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's head to head not goal difference so OM has no chance to go through after last night.

3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    France might be able to get back 5th place at the end of the season. We have 3 advancing and 3 eliminated but Portugal has 4 teams already eliminated. France (5th, 55.333 pts) Portugal (6th, 54.501 pts)

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was goal diff. but hey thanks for the correction, sucks for OM but I guess they can focus on the league now...

5. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Last round of the group stage, not that much on the line for most of the teams but still important coefficient points on the line.

Tuesday
    Paris SG - Porto 20:45 @ Parc de Princes, Paris
    Montpellier - Schalke 04 2045 @ Stade de la Mosson, Montpellier

Wednesday
    Lille - Valencia 20:45 @ Grand Stade Lille Métropole, Lille

Thursday
    Ael Limmasol - Marseille 19:00 @ GSP Stadium, Nicosia
    Bordeaux - Newcastle 19:00 @ Stade Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux
    Lyon - Ironi Kiryat Shmona 21:05 @ Stade de Gerland, Lyon

Feel like every team has a decent shot at the win here, though it isn't like Lille and Montpellier haven't disappointed before. Guess the most important fixture will be PSG - Porto as Ancelotti probably need a good showing to take some heat off his back.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    10,000 Portuguese present plus PSG's own lame crowd = not a sure win.

lefutur repped this.
  7. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well done psg, didn't really think you had it in you, even pastore was doing fairly well

anyone know when the draws are held for CL & EL knockout rounds

8. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    20th December

Samora repped this.
  9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So Spain got 4 teams to the next round in the Champions League, Germany got 3, Italy and England got 2, and poor France got 1. Maybe the myopic French will stop picking on PSG now that they saved us from embarassment. Or maybe not.

10. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well at least portugal only got 1 as well and netherlands 0
    and EL looks a little brighter, 2 qualified while portugal and netherlands got 0

11. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Lille + Montpellier = 1 W, 2 D and 9 L with Lille losing all their home games. It's been 3 years in a row that Lille are ridiculous in Europe.

[​IMG]

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    It looks our 3 French teams are going to be fielding tons of young players tomorrow. I know Bordeaux only need a draw to win their group but their team is going to be pretty weak leaving off lots of regulars and it would be a shame if they lost and and finished 2nd instead of really trying to win their group.

13. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps, but i think gillet knows that this is a head to head game for 1st place, he'll probably play more defensive and bring in more regulars if we start losing

14. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I don't think finishing 1st or 2nd is that important in the Europa League, for example if you finish 1st you can still draw: Inter, Napoli, Leverkusen, Zenit, Ajax, (probably Liverpool & Stuttgart, Hannover, Tottenham) for example. While in 2nd the worst draws are: Fenerbache, Dnipro, Kazan, Chelsea, Benfica, CFR Cluj, Olympiakos (Probably Atl. Madrid)

Not a massive difference though I guess avoiding Chelsea and Atl. Madrid would improve your odds slightly at a better opponent

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I saw maxifoot's projected lineups and Newcastle's lineup looked pretty weakened as well so perhaps that balances things out a bit.

16. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, in terms of quality that looks pretty even

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you forgot that finishing second you run the risk of drawing lyon... something OL doesn't have to worry about!

18. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    BIG UPS TO BORDEAUX AND LYON FOR MAKING THROUGH!

lefutur, Samora and SportBoy333 repped this.
  19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Id love for FCB and OL to go far but there are so many big clubs in the Europa League you can only be hopeful about it. OL has the talent to keep going, Bordeaux not so much but maybe they can get lucky.

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    We have a great chance to get back our 5th ranking. To only lose it for a year would be a relief. I mean we have so many weak clubs who get into the Champions League most years and having our 3rd place teams play 2 rounds before they can get into the group stages would be a nightmare. Hopefully that will only be for next year and we can go back to normal and how it used to be. I mean for example if St. Etienne finish 3rd and have to play that extra round before they can get to the group stage and then they lose well then its all for naught. Our successfull clubs always lose their best players and a weakened St. Etienne team might not even be able to survive 2 preliminary rounds.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  21. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    dude St Etienne would be prefect for champions year next season new stadium great supporters just need some money to back them up sign a star foward and attacking midfielder ready to lock and load!

top three this year
    PSG
    LYON
    St Etienne
    europa
    Nice
    Rennes
    L'om/LOSC

22. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Champions League and Europa League drawn:

Paris SG - Valencia
    Bordeaux - Dinamo Kiev
    Lyon - Tottenham

23. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    mmm Lyon - Spurs, tasty fixtures. Would love for Les Gones to send them home crying.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    This is why I refused to say OL could win the Europa League. Tough draw and even if you win you probably get Inter a huge club. Too bad. Bordeaux actually got the easier draw although its not that much easier.

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    since i don't follow other leagues at all i have no idea if i'm being loony in thinking OL can handle spurs, that it's a pretty even matchup.

getting inter the next round seems less pleasant but over two matches a lot can happen. and it could give us a couple of real champions league caliber matches at gerland, which is a good thing.

still, looking at the complete draw, it looks like we had about the worst luck possible.